Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: GI Joe on the flip side
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 pm 

Based on the discussions from the con, if Joe is going away for a while......what do you think the line will look like on the flip side? This is assuming 1) the new Joe movie doesn't come to fruition and 2) Hasbro does "reinvent" the line in a few years. Do you see:

- Hasbro keeping the Joe/Cobra storyline?
- Do they keep the same characters?
- Does the line stay centered on 3-3/4" figures?

To me, it seems Hasbro is happier now days with 6 inch rather than 3 3/4". I wouldn't mind a 6-inch line based on the Adventure Team, like they did with Sigma 6. And, I wouldn't mind getting away from Duke/Snake Eyes regurgitating every few months. But, I hope they don't ditch the 3-3/4" - too much of my collection is centered on that scale.

So your thoughts, and I think it can go two ways - what do you think Hasbro will do, and what would you want Hasbro to do?

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: GI Joe on the flip side
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:45 pm 

I think they will only do movie related stuff or traditional stuff like we got with the 50th line.

I want them to go in an Adventure Team direction at the 3.75" scale with the modern joe line construction. The larger scale just doesn't interest me. I don't have the space to display a series of larger figures in addition to my 3.75" collection and customs.

My sons would watch an AT cartoon, I know that. They love Rescue Bots.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

Post subject: Re: GI Joe on the flip side
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm 

My worry? The Star Wars model. Main release, a bunch of overpriced barely articulated figures with poor sculpting and crappy "battle gear" no one wants, and a small handful of near correctly articulated figures, retail exclusive, super inflated price.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 am 

With the popularity of the Paw Patrols and other rescue themed cartoons, it might be the right time to bring back the Adventure Team.

No matter the size of the figures, Hasbro really need to go all in and push the brands on all platforms if they want to bring back the line beyond it's current status of a nostalgia fueled collector's line.
Like in the 80's, they should make more than just action figures with the brand. Hasbro being a huge company, they have divisions to push the brand through various medium.
Toys for little kids through Playskool, RPGs and table top games through Wizards of the Coast, video games and mobile apps. No matter how kids like to play, GI Joe should have an incarnation for it for the line to return in strength.

The brand is 50+ years old. There's enough history here to create something for every one. Even Super Joe could make a great 4" line with space ships and cool aliens.

Last edited by Redmao on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:21 am 
JC Podcaster

I think the time is right for this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34765&hilit=Adventure+Team+pitch

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Follow me on Twitter: @The_Spectre_DK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:26 pm 

I'd love to see a 6" Black Series style line of the iconic characters -- Duke, Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow, etc.

Of course, I'd also like to see myself handed a free week-long trip to Disneyland. I'm not expecting that anytime soon, either.

I have the grim feeling that the "next" G.I. Joe is going to be an entirely new concept and entirely new figure type, which I doubt I will have any interest in whatsoever, and I'll be surprised if a significant percentage of longtime Joe fans will, either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 pm 

GITrekker wrote:

I have the grim feeling that the "next" G.I. Joe is going to be an entirely new concept and entirely new figure type, which I doubt I will have any interest in whatsoever, and I'll be surprised if a significant percentage of longtime Joe fans will, either.

All I saw in my mind when I read that is something like Hasbro is doing with Star Wars females – those Monster High copycat dolls coming out soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm 
Formerly Levantine

GITrekker wrote:

- G.I. Joe fans circa 1980

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 am 

Morian Miner wrote:
GITrekker wrote:

All I saw in my mind when I read that is something like Hasbro is doing with Star Wars females – those Monster High copycat dolls coming out soon.

I spent way too much time imagining a "High School Reboot" G.I. Joe. "Class of '82". Principle Hawk. Coach Slaughter. Snake-Eyes as the loner who never takes off his black jacket or his sunglasses. Zartan the exchange student who runs around in a brown hoodie and a wanna-be punk "gang". Scarlett's outfit is basically the same but has leg warmers and a hairband. Professor Bender. The head of the Student Body of Pawtucket High School insists on only ever being referred to by his title, Class President. Thinks he's more charismatic than he actually is, most likely bought his popularity and position. Tries to keep anyone he doesn't like off the school's various sports teams and clubs, collectively known by their mascot the Pawtucket Cobras. Goes to great length to get others in trouble for his own shenanigans so they get sent to weekend detention in the school's basement... aka The Pit.

It writes itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:38 am 

DanOfTheDead wrote:
Morian Miner wrote:
GITrekker wrote:

I spent way too much time imagining a "High School Reboot" G.I. Joe. "Class of '82". Principle Hawk. Coach Slaughter. Snake-Eyes as the loner who never takes off his black jacket or his sunglasses. Zartan the exchange student who runs around in a brown hoodie and a wanna-be punk "gang". Scarlett's outfit is basically the same but has leg warmers and a hairband. Professor Bender. The head of the Student Body of Pawtucket High School insists on only ever being referred to by his title, Class President. Thinks he's more charismatic than he actually is, most likely bought his popularity and position. Tries to keep anyone he doesn't like off the school's various sports teams and clubs, collectively known by their mascot the Pawtucket Cobras. Goes to great length to get others in trouble for his own shenanigans so they get sent to weekend detention in the school's basement... aka The Pit.

It writes itself.

This has taken a dark turn......

Rather than Class President of Pawtucket, he and his band of misfits from Abco High (the Cobras) try to constantly rain on the parade of the Pawtucket Timber Wolves.

Or how about Duke, Scarlett, Jaye (with glasses) and Mutt, with his talking dog Junkyard, drive around in the groovy van solving mysteries?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:06 am 

GI Joe Fidget Spinners. Kids are crazy about them for some reason.
Olive green with a star for GI Joe.
Dark blue with a cobra symbol.
Both black and white with arashikage symbols on them.

There's your GI Joe for today's generation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:12 pm 
DarkJedi'd

Morian Miner wrote:
DanOfTheDead wrote:
Morian Miner wrote:
GITrekker wrote:

It writes itself.

This has taken a dark turn......

Rather than Class President of Pawtucket, he and his band of misfits from Abco High (the Cobras) try to constantly rain on the parade of the Pawtucket Timber Wolves.

Or how about Duke, Scarlett, Jaye (with glasses) and Mutt, with his talking dog Junkyard, drive around in the groovy van solving mysteries?

Let's not forget certain rebellious individuals getting detention on a Saturday in the school library...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:57 pm 

I think the line could use a few riding beasts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:06 am 

First off, with regard to "G.I. High School" -- I really hope no one from Hasbro reads this board if you know what I mean.

Secondly, with regard to fidget spinners, what the HECK is the appeal of those things? I just don't get it. Up until about a month ago, I didn't even know what one was, until one of the associate pastors of my church had his kid show me one, and I STILL don't get the appeal. I mean, they've got CATS playing with them on YouTube. How often does a fad cross species?!?

There's certainly enough licensed versions of the silly things. I've seen Star Wars, DC Comics -- I kidded the pastor that I know it'll have gone too far when I see Planet of the Apes fidget spinners, which was the least likely license that popped into my head -- and then I checked on eBay just to make sure (so far, no sign of them).

Every time I see one, all I can think is -- It's -- a -- propeller. What the heck is the big deal?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 am 

Lev wrote:
GITrekker wrote:

- G.I. Joe fans circa 1980

Yep, and if you'll recall, there was a LOT of hostility from 12" collectors towards the Real American Hero for a lot of years. I even had one actually shove me aside at one convention because he wanted to talk to the Hasbro rep. Said, "Step aside and let a man talk!" Then he waved a 12" Joe at the Hasbro guy and said, "When are you going to REALLY bring back G.I. Joe?" This was in the mid-1990's... Granted, that was an extreme case, but the hostility was hardly unique.

Hasbro was very fortunate to catch "lightning in a bottle" a second time. And consider their subsequent track record. Sgt. Savage - FAIL! GI Joe Extreme - HUGE FAIL! Sigma 6 - Moderate success.

Am I the least bit optimistic about some new "millennial-type re-imagining", and/or making some re-invented Joe part of a larger cinematic HasbroVerse which will be the only source for new toys? :roll: :-/ :shifty:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])