Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wave 5 Comic Packs out.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:04 pm 
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN

I apologize in advance for starting another round of distribution/scalper rants.

Found these today at a Target in MN. Only saw Falcon/Nemesis and Tripwire/CC. No IG/Destro, and though I'm off today, I don't have the desire to look around at the moment. Given how common wave 4 is here now I'm not too worried.

Nemesis Immortal/Lt. Falcon

Nice set overall. The Duke arms are an obvious flaw, but one I've grown used to. Falcons webgear is a solid piece, no tabs or pegs to remove it with. You can take it off, but would have to remove his legs to do so. On one hand I like that, because some of the webgear has looked funky in spots because of the pegs (or looked downright awful, like the Viper's vest) but a big selling point is the removable gear, so I think all things considered, that I'd prefer it removable easily. No pistol for Falcon's holster and I think his knife is ridiculously large. Decent head sculpt and the scarf sits pretty well. I dremeled a bit of material out of it so it'd sit lower though. Enforcer is great, I still have no idea how to use him, but I dig the figure.

Nemesis' wings are articulated. He doesn't stand very well with them on though, and even less so when they're not all the way forward.

Love the sculpt on the tentacles. I'll probably never use them, but they look great. Wish they'd have been wired for posing though, but I understand that that probably would have been a cost issue. Both figures need some paint touch-ups, but nothing major, and nothing beyond my tolerance.

Falcon's shotgun is a reissue of a SpyTroops one . . .

But it seems to have less detail. So Falcon gets . .

The comic is as awful as I've come to expect.

Cobra Commander and Tripwire

I don't like CC as much as I thought I would. His belt and strap have a tendency to ride up, and his holster is waaay too high to be useful for anything other than a crossdraw, which it isn't set up for. The sword is nice, but his cape is clunky, and the prominent black holster on his left leg with nothing to go in it is annoying.

I do like the new pistol, though I hope we see it released in black down the line. The gold plastic loses a lot of the detail.

nice paint detail at least. I'll have to see if any of the other CC's have the same color blue, maybe swap the upper legs.

Tripwire is pretty nice. New lower legs and feet, and his head is a great update of the originals. A lot crisper and more detailed. Plus, unlike some of the other helmeted characters in the line, it looks like a human head could fit in it. The quilted padding is unfortunate, but I can (kinda) justify it by saying that they'd probably just issue all the team members the same style as a cost cutting measure. I'll have to see if I can find some better upper legs for him, one of the Dukes may have a color match.

His mine detector is a new mold, which would be nice if they hadn't molded it in soft plastic. As it is it's deformed from the package, and would droop is I had him holding it on the shelf for long anyway.

Think I may give him this Forces of Valor detector . . .

The comic for this set is equally bad.
I know Larry can write better stories, even under the constraints of a single issue. Look at any issue of Special Missions. I'm hoping the poor quality/silliness of these is because of Hasbro, and not Hama. Otherwise I'm not sure I want to try the new IDW series.

Any pic requests for these guys, LMK, I'll do what I can.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Wave 5 Comic Packs out.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:08 pm 

Awesome rundown and Thanks for the pics Hypno :-D

I need me a Nemisis like right now. :-)

I like her and your idea of adding the 3rd shade in her pants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:22 pm 

I picked all 3 packs(got the Black Destro head pack) and I gotta say, I like them all. I did the same thing with Falcon, gave him Maj Barrage's shotgun, don't like the look of the one he came with. Tripwire's mine dector didn't have a wide end to securely go on the back pack, so I had to add a dab of glue to keep it on. I noticed that CC cape, same as the single card Serpentor, looks like the cape is reversed, like the "fluffy" side should be on the outside and "smooth" side should be the inside, so like with Serpy's cape, I reversed CC's cape. Haven't bothered to read the comic's as they don't appeal to me, but I'll get around to it eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:25 pm 

How about some close up pics of Falcon's head.

He's one my favorite characters. I'm worried about the possible Jay Leno chin on him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:44 pm 

Anyone able to take a pic of Falcon with a Marauder shotgun?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 pm 

yep. I found these today at walmart,they are cool.Falcon looks great and yeah no pistol.His head is nice as is nemesis enforcer.CC is pretty cool to besides his belt does ride up and the pistol holder is high up too.Tp I like him.I didn't get destro/Ig yet but the Ig does look good really.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:20 pm 

Some close-ups of the head . . .

And some pics of him with different shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:58 pm 

Great pics, man! Thanks!

JoeBattlelines.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 am 

Tripwire's head looks really nice. CC looks very nice as well, too bad about some of the minor issues you mentioned.

Falcon was one of my all time favorite figures, but this version just looks so... anemic. And with those arms, he can't even hold weapons properly. BOOOO Hasbro!!!

I wonder if they will EVER sell these on the West Coast?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:16 am 

Hypno - first, thanks very much for the review & pics. I needed something to feed my 25th anniversary-line need inbetween Hawk/Leo's reviews. And I have to agree completely with your analysis.

This may be a shocker to some, but this is the first wave of comic packs that I'll be skipping completely. Not because I think they're trash - the characters don't appeal to me.

Nemisis Enforcer - looks amazing, but Cobra-La has never had a place in my collection. Again, not because there's a bandwagon to hate on them, more because I never could make them fit in my world. I did love the Golobulous custom at the Joe-Con, but they'll never make that.... :roll:

Falcon - The Duke arms are so disappointing, my collection has no Duke arms - I switched Flint's v1 lower arms with his TF arms to give me a proper v1. That alone killed it for me with this Figure. I like Falcon, but your pics show that his head sculpt well..just isn't Falcon.

Cobra Commander - I'll say it now, I prefer plastic capes draped perfectly. Cloth and action figures makes me feel like I have barbie dolls. I loved the plastic capes from VvV line.

Tripwire - excellent update again, but not a character I'm connected too so an easy pass here.

Onyx Destro - have enough destros thanks Hasbro
Iron Grenadier - decided not to army build this faction, so this and future Grenadier characters are all yours guys!

Keep the reviews coming Hypno!

Current eBay Auctions
eBay Feedback

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 am 

What? I've seen the last wave ONCE. Hahaha.

But! Those are awesome. Thanks for the pics/review. Nemesis Enforcer looks amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 am 

Man, Hasbro scored so high with the original Falcon in 1987 that they can't get close to it anymore. Even the DTC's head isn't as cool as the original.

Thanks for the review.

Tripwire is cool so I'll hunt that pack down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:38 am 

Okay, that Nemesis Enforcer is impressive, and if there's ONE figure from the original collection that needed a re-do, especially compared to some other media counterpart, in this case the movie, then it's Nemesis. I may have to consider this.

As to the lameness of the comic book, I don't believe Larry Hama ever had a very high opinion of Cobra-La, so it might explain why this is not his best effort. Purely speculation on my part, there. I'd have to read it myself and see.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 pm 

ajaman wrote:
What? I've seen the last wave ONCE. Hahaha.

The only place I've seen the last wave so far was at JoeCon. It hasn't been in any local stores that I've seen at all.

And Wave 3 or whatever it is of the single figures has just now hit my area in reasonable numbers. I saw Spirit and flag-waving Duke yesterday for the first time ever.

Men of Valor | Tim's Corner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:20 pm 

I don´t know Falcon just doesn´t seem right... I saw a preview picture of him loose with different painting on the boots that gave him a much better look than this actual release, the upper part of the boots were green, like in the original version... it´s a small detail but make a whole difference to me in the looks of the figure ...
:-/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])