Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Final TNI Shortpacked
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:50 pm 

I like Shortpacked. I enjoy the toy humor, the railing against the "lee7s" and even the drama. The main strip rarely disappoints me. The TNI strip was hit and miss for me, but I still checked it every week - and I liked this final strip (didn't even know it was ending.) Those people over there with all the negative comments are just plain "LASER BLAST". Seriously - if you don't like it, don't read it. No need to explain how unfunny it is or how high-brow you are or any of that other "LASER BLAST". It's totally fine if you like it, and it's totally fine if you don't - no need to come out swingin' with your virtual e-penis just so you can disguise the fact that you're a "LASER BLAST" loser.

David Willis obviously enjoys drawing comics, and he's got a lot of fans. But his strips aren't for everyone. He's also got a lot of detractors and I know he sometimes rubs people the wrong way. But again, if you don't like it, don't read it. Just like the "olden days" when something "LASER BLAST" came on tv or the radio - did you rage in your My Little Pony Journal about how horrible it was and how stupid people are for watching/listening to that crap? Or did you just CHANGE THE "LASER BLAST" CHANNEL? :roll:

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:06 pm 
The Thread Assassin.

I find Willis' strips hit or miss, but Shortpacked! is still on my regular read list because of the toy nerd/geek humor. I don't find his "dramatic" work particularly well done, especially his penchant for using homosexuality as a gimmick for his strips, and it's the reason I dropped Roomies! and Joyce and Walky! long back. I'm sorry to see the TNI strips go, as they ignored his story arcs and focused on toy/geek humor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:22 pm 
Plug
Plug

Chief wrote:
I like Shortpacked. I enjoy the toy humor, the railing against the "lee7s" and even the drama. The main strip rarely disappoints me. The TNI strip was hit and miss for me, but I still checked it every week - and I liked this final strip (didn't even know it was ending.) Those people over there with all the negative comments are just plain _____. Seriously - if you don't like it, don't read it. No need to explain how unfunny it is or how high-brow you are or any of that other _____. It's totally fine if you like it, and it's totally fine if you don't - no need to come out swingin' with your virtual e-penis just so you can disguise the fact that you're a _____ loser.

David Willis obviously enjoys drawing comics, and he's got a lot of fans. But his strips aren't for everyone. He's also got a lot of detractors and I know he sometimes rubs people the wrong way. But again, if you don't like it, don't read it. Just like the "olden days" when something _____ came on tv or the radio - did you rage in your My Little Pony Journal about how horrible it was and how stupid people are for watching/listening to that crap? Or did you just CHANGE THE _____ CHANNEL? :roll:
:shifty: Who told you about my My Little Pony Journal? *checks under bed* Phew still there.

Let me put it this way. I might spend all of 2 minutes giving my review of something like a movie or a book. Something that I spend money on to see or read. I might spend a few minutes checking out customs and giving critiques because I want to help customizers get better or think about something differently or think about something differently myself. If I find a toy before others and want to help people decide whether tot get it or not I will take the time to put up a review and pics of the toys as a community service and payback for all of the people who have done the same for me.

But I wouldn't spend hours putting together a manifesto and replies while pulling quotes to make myself seem smart just to put down a free web comic on a toy site. I got through 4 comments before reading them became a waste of my time. :monocle:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:59 pm 
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast

I think a lot of his bashing is coming from guys like the siebertron.com guy and his pals. Seems Willis has caused some sort of riff in transformers fandom, with those that like him vs. those that hate him. Since we all know people like to spew hate online then his webcomics comment section seems like the perfect battle ground.

For me his stuff is hit or miss, i like the toy/fandom jokes ok, but the drama stuff is just sort of meh. I have never seen him be a dick to the community or rip anyone off or anything, so he's good people in my book.

Team Red Lazer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:27 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

Transformer guys, yeah they're a special breed. People complain about the complainers in the G.I.Joe fandom,... try those guys for a minute. I don't even post at any of those boards.

But yeah he's got like them, then there's the guy that claims to "fix" his comics, then some of the He-Man fans have gone after him for "not taking He-Man serious enough". Yeah it's all sorts of people that seem to think they'll gain their 15 minutes of fame by bashing him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:45 pm 
Doctor of Tea-baganomics
Doctor of Tea-baganomics

Not take He-Man serious enough? He-Man doesn't even take He-man seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm 
LOVES Mattel

J_Man wrote:
Transformer guys, yeah they're a special breed. People complain about the complainers in the G.I.Joe fandom,... try those guys for a minute. I don't even post at any of those boards.

I'm sorry, but I'm an active member of both fandoms and I find they're both equally capable of over-reacting to things and complaining a lot.
Just look at the recent Zarana debacle, or Rise of Cobra reactions.

danielb wrote:
Seems Willis has caused some sort of riff in transformers fandom, with those that like him vs. those that hate him.

O.o
I've been a member of online Transformers fandom for well over a decade and this is the first time I hear of David Willis splitting the fandom in two warring factions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:06 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

Jay wrote:
J_Man wrote:

I'm sorry, but I'm an active member of both fandoms and I find they're both equally capable of over-reacting to things and complaining a lot.
Just look at the recent Zarana debacle, or Rise of Cobra reactions.

Hehe, PROOF! A Transformer guy complaining about being complained about, hehe.

attempt at humor...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 pm 
LOVES Mattel

:lol:

And yet it's also a Joe fan complaining about being complained about!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:26 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

Jay wrote:
:lol:

And yet it's also a Joe fan complaining about being complained about!

Hehe,but that's allowable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:23 pm 

Tex wrote:
Not take He-Man serious enough? He-Man doesn't even take He-man seriously.

YOU WILL RESPECT THE FURRY SPEEDOS AND BLUNT SWORD!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 pm 

Just the fact that someone wrote the phrase "not taking He-Man seriously enough" (or something similar) makes all of the internet's millions of problems worth it. That's awesome; thank you, mystery He-Man fanboy!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

I need to start cataloging some of these insane things I come across when I see it. It's impossible to find the posts later. Most people never believe how crazy some of the posts get.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 pm 

danielb wrote:
Seems Willis has caused some sort of riff in transformers fandom, with those that like him vs. those that hate him.

O.o
I've been a member of online Transformers fandom for well over a decade and this is the first time I hear of David Willis splitting the fandom in two warring factions.[/quote]

well clearly you have your thumb on the pulse of all fandom everywhere, I mean golly gee over a decade? Wow. I am impressed. Imagine that citizen Cain slow clap here.

heaven forbid someone else read message boards or notice that for every positive willis comment out there there is an equal number of detractors. especially on Transformer sites. But then that is the same with just about everything, seems you can't make a casual observation about anything on a toy message board without someone rushing in to make some random point.

Team Red Lazer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:36 am 

My pants got wet in the rain

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])