Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why Do You Collect?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:21 pm 

Simple question, possibly simple answer.

My reason is because ever since I was young I was inspired by Video Games and Movies, the scenes captured were inspiring. I always loved First Person Shooters just because war is a very hectic thing, it's something that just blows your mind when you are looking at it through your own perspective. And as I grew older and begin to take notice in the beauty in games. Mainly the awesome views of multiple troops moving through thick battlegrounds have really grabbed my attention. And being inspired by this, I wanted to capture the these images myself. So I began picking up figures, mainly joes for the beginning. Just trying to see if I can transform these toys into great pictures. And as more figures begin to appear, I began to start buying different figures for photography. Mainly the Halo Reach figures really translate into the Photography World nicely, thanks to their great detail and somewhat troublesome design.

So yes, back to the central point, why do you collect your GI Joes? To play with them? To customize them? Or just to sit in the corner?

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Why Do You Collect?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:49 pm 

I couldn't pin it down to just one reason. Some contributing factors:
-I like the product. The detail, the craftsmanship, the imagination that goes into it appeal to me.
-Its a nostalgic link to happy childhood memories.
-Habit. I've been collecting pretty much non-stop since '83. I'm not one of those guys who stopped collecting in my teenage years and then came back to it after college. I've never stopped!
-I like the mythology, the characters, the exciting storylines.
-It used to be a cheap and fun hobby. I say used to be because the prices have gone up well past inflation, and these days it is more frustrating than fun, because you can't find product. This is why, over the last few years I have become rather selective. With vintage toys, I am a completist, but with the modern toys, I pick and choose carefully. I've easily gone half a year without buying anything.
-It is a less harmful and costly hobby than heroin! :-P

Yes, I play with them, I customize them, and I do display them. The ironic part is, even though I collect toy soldiers, I am 100% against the military, for countless reasons, which I won't go into here. Yet, in toy form they don't seem quite as evil, because it is a more cartoony black & white good guy/bad guy dichotomy, and everyone can safely parachute out of their exploding jets.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:08 pm 

To fill an empty void in my life that makes me feel happy for a few hours (or a few minutes). But with the growing frustration of trying to find Joe products at a reasonable price (or at all), that happiness is slowly becoming unobtainable.

Blitzkrieg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:14 pm 

I can echo a good bit of what Blitzkreig is saying.

I think for me, I've always been an imaginative, creative-type of person, and I appreciate the imagination and creativity that goes into G.I. Joe -- as well as a good number of other action figure lines. I like having them around.

I don't really "play" with them, and I don't customize as much as I used to, so they just sort of -- hang around. Better than rotting on a toy store shelf or getting buried and forgotten in a sandbox, I hope.

There's also any number of hobbies that involve collecting. Some people collect sports cards, comic books, coins, stamps, caps, aluminum cans, die-cast cars. Action figures may be a little more "outside conventional norms" than some of these, but I think it is no less legitimate a hobby. And I think everybody needs a hobby just to exercise their minds, as much as anything. One of my neighbors is a retired airline pilot who doesn't collect anything, and his apartment is downright spartan. But he enjoys traveling and birdwatching, so he's happy.

My hobby -- our hobby -- just happens to take up more physical space...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:53 pm 

GITrekker wrote:
I think everybody needs a hobby just to exercise their minds, as much as anything...

psychoviper wrote:
-I like the product. The detail, the craftsmanship, the imagination that goes into it appeal to me.
-Habit. I've been collecting pretty much non-stop since '83. I'm not one of those guys who stopped collecting in my teenage years and then came back to it after college. I've never stopped!
-It used to be a cheap and fun hobby.

I can agree with all of this 100%. I wasn't part of the in crowd in high school, and I didn't want to be. I collected to have something to do when I wasn't hangin out with my small circle of friends. I've been customizing brand new stuff since I was a teenager, the Japanese mecha actually encourages it. So I have some mint G1 Transformers with extra paint apps...I still got them, so I dont care. I got into customizing in the true sence, as I started getting ahold of every joe I could get my hands on in the early 90's and either using the parts to repair, or make new figures.

http://www.wastelandweekend.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:22 pm 

first few figures:
- at first it was because G.I.Joes looked really nice to play with...

around a dozen or two figures:
- coz Hasbro kept releasing great looking figures... had to have them, to play with...

reaching 50 figures and above:
- for the excitement of going to a toyshop and finding a new joe on sale;
- and for the nice display lots of joes made for the eye...

reaching 300 figures and to infinity:
- one each for display purposes - every one opened, nothing carded;
- and others more for customs... definitely customs. since Hasbro doesn't produce ARAH anymore... (25A sucks)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:33 pm 

I'll admit it, I buy stuff to swoosh it around when no one is looking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:17 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

GITrekker wrote:
I think everybody needs a hobby just to exercise their minds, as much as anything...

psychoviper wrote:
-It used to be a cheap and fun hobby.

I'll quote the same as Zarana-X from Psycho Viper and GITrekker. These pretty much echo the same for me. Plus I'll add I'd love to be in the toy industry officially. I do what I can now and sometimes I buy items just to study how they were made.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:33 pm 

Mainframe wrote:
first few figures:

- coz Hasbro kept releasing great looking figures... had to have them, to play with...

Oh, please. Don't get me started. I can remember when I could keep my entire collection in a shoebox. That INCLUDED the VAMP, I might add...! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:50 pm 

I don't "collect" anymore. I "have" some things, and once in a great while, I buy a new one. The Skystriker is my first Joe purchase in...two years? Maybe more? I have the VAMP, the MOBAT, the Skystriker, RAM and that's it. I have a Terrordrome I'm trying to sell, plus an extra Firebat on the Cobra side. But no other vehicles Cobra wise.

I'm really taking my collection back to the core of 82-83, when I liked it best. Trekker's comment about "fitting in a shoebox" has long been in my mind (from his CT&V articles) and I decided to go back to that. Easier times.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:37 pm 

Mainly because of two things. The figures I do enjoy that are un-customized are things that didn't exist at all in the 1960's, and I customize things that normally will never be made in a 1:18 scale, at all.

Everything is new for me, since I have no nostalgic ties to any of it. So it is all wanting to flesh out figures, domiciles, and terrain from all the various stories and genre I enjoy.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:10 pm 

Macrossmaster wrote:
Trekker's comment about "fitting in a shoebox" has long been in my mind (from his CT&V articles).

Okay, I'm stunned anybody even remembers those... 8-O

Thanks. though! :-D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:17 pm 

GITrekker wrote:
Mainframe wrote:
first few figures:

Oh, please. Don't get me started. I can remember when I could keep my entire collection in a shoebox. That INCLUDED the VAMP, I might add...! :roll:

My figures have moved on from a shoe box to a plastic drawer.
But it's not because I'm trying to build an expansive collection, it's because I only buy figures that have interested me.

I'm not going to pick up a certain couple of figures because I've read good things about it, or because there are tons of buzz around it. I'll pick up a figure if it suits my team, and if it has something that grabs my eye.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 pm 

Grew up with a Joe in each hand.
Through GIJoe figures I created worlds of adventures around heroes and villains without following the comics nor the cartoons.
I collect to keep that little world alive and while I don't play with them anymore, the story goes on in my mind. I imagine new scenarios, new adventures and I buy the stuff that would have allowed a little me to actually play them out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:51 pm 

I like toys.

I like lamp.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])