Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: The GIJCC and Possible Suspicious Credit Card Activity
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:41 pm 

After reading a little more on this I did some calendar math in my head. I had a couple fraudulent charges on my check card at the end of January and had to get a new one. I didn't think this Club issue was the cause because I haven't used this card for anything from them since the 2009 convention registration. I'm not saying they were the cause of the fraudulent charges on my card but the timing does seem a little too coincidental.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 pm 
Hi, beav. Playing cards?
Hi, beav. Playing cards?

That almost sounds like they were storing CC information in a database without any encryption to obscure the CC number, etc. So the database was compromised and thus people like Mysty got hit too even though they had no recent transactions.

Glad my cards are long gone due to the move to Blighty. :-)

Way to go "LASER BLAST".

Ignore the man behind the curtain...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm 
Exploding Man Peter

Stealth Viper wrote:
I think letters should be written to Hasbro as well. I think I saw somewhere on a TF board that someone had already drawn one up.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KZu ... edit?pli=1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:18 pm 
Exploding Man Peter

I checked my credit card activity online yesterday to be on the safe side. So far, no fraudulent charges were found. Then again, my credit card info I used for a club membership years ago has since expired.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:25 pm 

This makes me wonder if the odd authorization I posted about back in Jan was in relation to this. I believe it was the same I card I used for the club last year. I had both of my cards replaced with new numbers before any real charges occurred.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:32 pm 

Fub Publications wrote:
02/24/2012 - Fun Publications security update!
Fun Publications wants to take this opportunity to apologize to all of our members.

After many days of analysis, Fun Publications has determined that there is a security issue with our e-commerce systems. We appreciate all of you who have sent in your details. Your help has allowed us to ferret out several different patterns of fraudulent charges that have appeared on some members' cards (any that have been used over the last year with both the club store and our event registration system).

We have several different internet/networking companies looking into the matter. Unfortunately, as of yet, we have not been able to identify any forcible entry either into our internet service provider's servers or network. This is like chasing a ghost through the wires, as unfortunately, the perpetrator did not leave a trail, foot prints or finger prints.

For those of you who have been affected, we apologize for all of your time this has wasted and any inconvenience it has caused you. We understand your frustration as this same type of fraud has happened to everyone in our office on our personal credit cards at some point in the past. Our merchant services provider wants us to remind everyone that even though this can be a huge annoyance for you, the customer, your issuing bank will not hold you responsible for any fraudulent charges that might be placed on your card(s).

We know that this issue has been a huge topic of discussion on all of the boards for the past few weeks. However, we are required to investigate to determine and confirm a security issue thoroughly before making any public statements. This is why we put out a general alert statement.

Until the analysis is finished (can take several weeks) we don't know if the shut down by our former (Jan 31st) e-commerce provider caused the security issue or not. We do know that it has not been limited to those who have purchased before the change to our new provider.

Please, watch your cards closely as this type of security issue appears to be on the increase across the net. No site is 100% safe. You may want to consider having any cards you have used with Fun Publications in the last year replaced

At this time, we do not know how long our e-commerce site will be offline for both the store and registrations. We will get back to you once we have a solution for this security issue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 pm 

Quote:
No site is 100% safe. You may want to consider having any cards you have used with Fun Publications in the last year replaced

The forgot to add: "Rest assured that even after this whole mess, we still won't accept Paypal as a form of payment."
:twisted:

Post subject: The GIJCC and Possible Suspicious Credit Card Activity
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 pm 
Hi, beav. Playing cards?
Hi, beav. Playing cards?

"Look over there! It happens to other sites too! It's not our fault!" - Fun Masterlications Collector's Club

Lame

Post subject: The GIJCC and Possible Suspicious Credit Card Activity
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:56 pm 
Hi, beav. Playing cards?
Hi, beav. Playing cards?

Note: Yes, I do know this does happen online from time to time. However, the slow response now followed up by a post that spend most of the time deferring blame is what's lame.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 pm 

What's even odder is that we haven't even heard or seen a hint of the convention set for the new convention. This may be the clubs swan song

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm 

beav wrote:
Note: Yes, I do know this does happen online from time to time. However, the slow response now followed up by a post that spend most of the time deferring blame is what's lame.

I'm just surprised they haven't launched into the "you, the fans, asked us for an online registration option and this is what happens when we implement one so it's all your fault" defense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm 
General Pittance Contributor
General Pittance Contributor

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
beav wrote:

I'm just surprised they haven't launched into the "you, the fans, asked us for an online registration option and this is what happens when we implement one so it's all your fault" defense.

not yet anyway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 pm 

night force cynic wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote:
beav wrote:

not yet anyway

Give them time, it took them a month to do something about the CC thing in the first place. Bear minimum blaming the fans won't come up until right before Joe con.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 pm 

Stealth Viper wrote:
I think letters should be written to Hasbro as well. I think I saw somewhere on a TF board that someone had already drawn one up.

Which site?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:58 pm 

Goldbug wrote:
Stealth Viper wrote:

Which site?

Pete The Greek wrote:
Stealth Viper wrote:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KZu ... edit?pli=1

I believe that's the one he's referring to.

[DESTRIN 41016] 2:29 pm: theyre comfortable
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:32 pm: thonnnngs.
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:34 pm: im wearing them right now lol
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:33 pm: i wear girl jeans. i have some girl hoodies also I wear.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])