Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: KickStarter: Captain Action/'Adventure People' is live
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:09 pm 
HATES Mattel

Check it out:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ure-people

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: KickStarter: Captain Action/'Adventure People' is live
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:16 pm 
HATES Mattel

My thoughts 'good':
They're BFS figures so they look very nice and I'm sure I'd enjoy them despite not knowing or caring to know much about CA canon. I'm quite pleased to learn the waist will have a ball joint, possibly even inter-swappable with Marauders.

My thoughts 'troubling':
Since it's four of the exact same body, after baseline CA gets funded you'd think there should be a discount for the All-In. And I still don't dig what looks to be license-squatting of 'Adventure People' since they give no indication they'll ever do civilian characters as *everyone* who'd care about their use of that name would want. If they're just going to use it as a ploy, that sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:55 pm 
Formerly Push You Down

I agree. They look so nice, but I give zero cares for Captain Action. ADVENTURE PEOPLE is a personal favorite so this just seems like a ****move.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:10 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Well, I pledged for Captain Action. By my calculations, they are going to need at least 1,500 backers to get this going because I see very few people getting more than 1-2 figures from this, especially since there is no incentive to buy more than one figure.

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:20 pm 
HATES Mattel

Yeah, I think I'm coming to see that the diff colors of uniform plus three exta heads and two each of different pistols and swords just isn't enough to justify $100 for four figures. I could get an ARW Laurel with pilot for $10 cheaper.

But, I do dig the Capt Evil quite a bit and can probably stomach him for the $30 he'll end up being.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:57 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I'm not so sure that these are technically BFS figures though. They may have done some early design work, refining the initial concept, but certainly not any of the production related work. Least from what I recall.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:53 am 
HATES Mattel

I think it's safe to say those protos we see were sculpted by them, but we also see the other company's logo in the hands digisculpts. Catrina clarified that they didn't work on them all the way through, but didn't say where the transition happened.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:18 am 

The figures look good, and I am a Cap fan, but I can't justify the cost. Just a couple of observations:

My only previous experience with ZICA toys is their 8" Buck Rogers figure. However, this is an outstanding figure. It was produced during a time when just about everybody was doing their version of Megos, and quality-wise, it was heads above everyone else. I just wish they'd gotten around to that Hawk figure. I really wanted him, but as far as I know, it was never produced. :(

I'll be interested to see if this Cap line gets produced. I rather like the idea of a "Captain Evil" figure, and working Action Jackson into the concept. But my biggest concern is mass production at the 4" scale. For starters, I don't like the idea of double-jointed knees. Granted, I haven't seen very many toy lines in any scale where I thought double-jointed elbows and knees either looked good or worked well, but the smaller the scale, the more problematic it can become from both an appearance and function standpoint.

Really, the biggest surprise to me is that ZICA got the Remco name. There's a blast from the past...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:37 am 

These look fun, but I can't justify the cost either. Maybe, if there had been a price break for the all in option and if we did not have to pay for packaging, I may have considered it. However, with the weakness of the Canadian dollar, these would end up costing over 35$ each plus whatever shipping (not Zica's fault, but still a reality). That is too rich for me.

OB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:22 pm 
HATES Mattel

I asked them this stuff on their FB page:
Questions: When can we expect delivery of the figures? I don't see that anywhere on the KS page. Are there plans to do civilian figures homaging the original Adventure People line? I'd think a male&female pair of 'Newscasters' in jumpsuits would be very useful in Joe and MU displays, and provide plenty of repaint/reuse potential. Why isn't there a discount for the All-In premium? Once the basic Capt Action figure is funded the other three are just repaints and a smattering of additional molds, but their prices don't reflect their lower expenses. What am I missing?

And got this in response:
The expected delivery date is November of this year, it's listed under each pledge reward. This is an all new Adventure People line, it's not a modern relaunch of the vintage Fisher Price line. There might be a few characters thrown in from the original line but nothing is currently planned. You get 4 free weapons with the All In reward pledge. These weapons are not included with the single figure reward pledges. The factory requires a minimum amount of figures be produced for each character. Our funding goal reflects these expenses.

When I look back at the HACKS KS, I just can't see these numbers making sense. The initial HACKS KS funding amount was $75K, and we got two entirely different figure molds with a plethora of individual accessories and heads and very different decos for the extra figures, plus included shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:45 pm 

I'm guessing there is more than one factory in China though.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:38 pm 

I'm interested in this line just not sure I can afford to bite the bullet and commit to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:18 am 

Like almost everything with Kickstarter, I can't justify the cost. Cool, but too expensive for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:24 am 
HATES Mattel

Okay, I threw in for the red Capt Evil, and the shipping was $8 for a $33 total. Not happy about it, but I've paid more for other figures because I'm a sucker-ass punk for action figures. They put up an update showing the engineering digisculpts, confirming there's a swivel both above and below the ankle hinge, which is cool. I asked them if the waist and hip balls were compatible with Marauder's by any chance, and suggested the gray CA get the blue skin treatment so Capt Evil could have an armybuilder of Bizarro clones.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:30 pm 

MJTanner wrote:
I agree. They look so nice, but I give zero cares for Captain Action. ADVENTURE PEOPLE is a personal favorite so this just seems like a ****move.

Same goes for the Eagle Force line they will be working with later in the year. I asked on the Eagle Force Returns FB page if this is going to be the indicative of the pricing for that line too, and they said yes. While I am a fan of the EF line, seeing that it's going to be this expensive is going to keep me out of it completely. Unless they drop to $15 a figure, I'm a no, no, no.

john m.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])