Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: JoyToy 1:18 Mecha Depot
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:42 pm 

Hey gang -

I mentioned in the "what I got today" thread a few days back that I got some JoyToy 1:18 figs to try out and one set that I had hoped to use for some sci-fi/MOTU customs was just too small for my needs. They're basically Joe-scale, which is good, but I wanted slightly bigger:

So I sent the set back unopened to Amazon and got my refund right away (thanks, Kohl's drop-off service!). Noticed that JoyToy also made some playsets - all very "mech-centric" but they looked pretty good and reminded me of levels in the Halo games, etc., so I decided to try one out. Funny thing is - the entire huge playset cost LESS than the 3-figure set I bought. So at the end of the day, I was willing to give it a shot.

Not bad at all - it's an assemble-yourself setup as expected. There are certainly ways to customize the layout, but the little connector tabs they give you are minimal, so going beyond what's on the box will take some creativity to make sure it's sturdy, since they're the only thing keeping the walls from falling down.

Again - pretty much perfect for Joes - and roomier than I expected. I'll definitely play around with layouts to see what I can do with it. Also need to move it to an area with a different backdrop ;-)

Next step will be trying to figure out how to integrate it with the warehouse dio/playset I got from J-Man several years ago. And clearing off the shelf space to display it.

Overall assessment - I like it. I was worried the plastic would be brittle, and while it feels different than your typical toy plastic, it held up just fine. Wish they included double the connector tabs, though. But I'll mess around with it and see what I can come up with.

They've got a few other sets - and they all use the same parts and integrate with each other, so I can see some giant-ass playsets in my future once the prices come down. This one was the most affordable for the amount of stuff you get, so it was a good one to start with.

Cheers!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: JoyToy 1:18 Mecha Depot
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:56 pm 
King of Daikaiju

Nice!

I've kind of been eyeballing those sets to use as Atmosphere Processing Plant sub-levels or Axis Chemicals (same filming location).

Good to hear that they hold up well enough (structurally and plastic wise) and look good with a variety of figures.

things aren't as pretty... on the inside"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:55 pm 

I have all the ones out so far and they are great. I’ve spent some time “customizing” them in a couple different configurations. I just got the Watchtower set and converted it to a hallway instead of a tower.

The plastic is a bit brittle feeling especially with the smaller, thinner pieces but I haven’t broken anything yet. I do have some problems with the fit of some of the pieces. The paint and wash can build up making the pegs and holes not quite fit easily.

Overall I really like these. Like Chief, I need to clear some space to set them all up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:40 pm 

that is screaming for an alien power loader! your warehouse should sit level with that 2nd floor landing imho :) that gives you a big space under it for activities, so many activities.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:01 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I grabbed the med bay set, and one other (I assume this one?) but haven't been in the scifi mood enough to build yet

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:19 am 
HATES Mattel

"Dammit, Murphy; what did you get us into this time?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])