Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:10 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: 1:18 customizing: State of the Hobby
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:13 am 

I think one way it could be done on a resin printer would be to inject and remove different color resins from the resin vat. You would have to expose the same layer to uv-light multiple times based on how many colors are in the layer. It would be sort of like a screen print. Inject red resin expose the red portions of the layer, remove red resin, inject blue resin expose blue portions of the resin, ect. move to next layer. It would increase the complexity of the machine and slicing portion, and also it would make prints take longer.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:20 am 

Depends on how you see it, but I would say that was around 2008-2012. I didn't know what was customizing before 2008, but when I knew, you could get simply so much stuff at such a low price, you could buy joes for 1 $, vintage, even rare ones in large lots. Wonderful for the customizer.

Now you have thousands of options, but that is if you prefer the modern customizing, and you are ready to pay for the base parts. Of course, it's a relatively cheap hobby, and buying a 100 $ lot will give you countless hours of entertainment!

I have amassed so much in previous time, that I still have a large box. But it is now ever dwindling. I have taken a lot of parts just to resale, because they have become so expensive. To show you something, I got a BAF DC Apache Chief bought for around 20 $, planning to customize it. About 5 years later, he costed about 100 $. I think now he is more like 200 $!

And don't get me started on communities. Before there were many forums just on GI Joe, and for example, on spanish there was just a wonderful forum, full of information, reviews, activity, friendly, with hundreds of really active and friendly participants. It closed, due to too much success, and with the times of social media, all forums seem dead. Now Hisstank seem very active, surprisingly, because there is not a such active forum interested in action figures, except maybe, Rebelscum for Star Wars. Thefwoosh is almost dead.

I quite hate Facebook, instagram and all this. The culture of the like, that leaves you empty, only what is posted today is interesting, and gets buried forever to be forgotten and unreachable.

I have little time to customize, less to post, so I try when I can to post a bit in Hisstank, if a bit more in Figurerealm, and then it's here.

But 1:18 is dying and quickly. It might revamp at any time, or it might die forever.

About the hobby, I would say there has never been so many customizers, but these only might make a few, and probably never sculpt. Never so inside. And sad is that hundreds, thousands of custom figures are made, and never posted, or if posted, you can really never seem buried in groups, sub-groups and the like.

I would love that Joecustoms website allowed comments, like Figurerealm, and became as popular as to house all Gi Joe customs. But it seems hard this will happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:18 am 

Suntzu wrote:
Another step in the evolution of the hobby - Full color 3D printing

3D Printing 10,000,000 COLORS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IkvzMJihuY

【ENG】3DUJ-2207| Full Color 3D Inkjet Printer | MIMAKI ENGINEERING CO., LTD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WntST66JFz8

Edit: Is it not possible to add youtube links on this forum that show the preview of the video instead of just the link text?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:10 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])