Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:16 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Diaclone powered suits and mechs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:58 pm 

Check out www.plasticsoldierreview.com for 1" toy soldiers.

As for Heroclix, they are about 30mm high, slightly higher than wargaming miniatures.
Could be a nice source of alternative heads for Dianauts though.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:51 pm 

Heroclix are too big for bashing onto Dianauts.

My Joker required heavy, heavy modification, and I did a lot of sculpting for such a small piece. I also started with a thin, small Heroclix base. Unless you REALLY want to do a ton of work, only to discover the head/torso/etc. is *just* too big to look right, by all means.

I've had much, much more success with 1:72 scale miniature people/soldiers. The variety is staggering. So many different races, cultures, time periods, with or without accessories/headgear... and it all pretty much works. And the sculpting is solid for the scale, depending on the manufacturer.

Always keep my eyes peeled for new fodder, especially if I can use it for my Dianauts...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:53 am 

Doctor Robert Strange wrote:
Heroclix are too big for bashing onto Dianauts.

My Joker required heavy, heavy modification, and I did a lot of sculpting for such a small piece. I also started with a thin, small Heroclix base. Unless you REALLY want to do a ton of work, only to discover the head/torso/etc. is *just* too big to look right, by all means.

I've had much, much more success with 1:72 scale miniature people/soldiers. The variety is staggering. So many different races, cultures, time periods, with or without accessories/headgear... and it all pretty much works. And the sculpting is solid for the scale, depending on the manufacturer.

Always keep my eyes peeled for new fodder, especially if I can use it for my Dianauts...

Caesar Miniatures Soccer players have great 1/72 civilian headsculpts. So do their WW2 resistant sets.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:31 pm 

Wow...yes they definitely are. Most of the 1/72 scale miniature figures that I've come across didn't strike me as worth the cost for the quality of sculpting I'd receive in exchange . I'd rather just sculpt a head for the costs I've seen as I've got plenty of apoxie . The Caesar soccer players seem like the exception. The detail is relatively crisp for the scale and the plastic material.

Edit: ALL of Caesars products look good. The sportsmen sets standout so far. The difference in sculpting quality between Caesar and Airfix is stark.

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by Suntzu on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:16 pm 

Lex Luthor's battle armor figure in the Zerboz line isn't horrible. .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:22 pm 

From another forum (TFW2005) - this week was the Diaclone Expo. Don't know where it was or what the story is on the expo, but here's a video from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOqOZg1lJU

I guess the big news is the Big Power unit. A few sites are showing that coming out in November and price is going to be in the $300 range. Ouch. But, there is an add-on set with five blue/white dia-nauts and a motorcyle. Yeah, I'm all over that. And, here's a promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVVIbh ... e=youtu.be

Also, not sure where the saw it, but some folks are reporting they will be doing bases for the dia-nauts. Doesn't look like this line is going to disappear any time soon - awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 pm 

Once again I am amazed at how much influence and impact 1" tall well articulated action figures have. I wouldn't have looked twice at a giant robot transformer but a giant transforming robot / mech with tiny posable pilots ?

I need that.

Speaking of need....I need to see that promo video in better quality resolution . Crikey that looks good . We need a Diaclone animated series .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:11 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

I need Dia-Naut bases for use with my Legends class Transformers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:35 pm 

Mark if you don't want to wait for an official release there are some REALLY nice modular bases specifically designed for miniatures available. I actually used the basic design principles of one and built a base for mega bloks figures last year (or the year before) as a proof of concept (I built it out of corrugated cardboard with surface details glued on). The official bases are made of laser cut wood or in some cases metal.

Google: MCStudio modular outpost

Also Warsenal and Shark Mounted Lasers make good product .

Currently lots of people / companies are making their own modular bases using laser cut mdf . If you need templates I went through the labor of making some in the past so let me know and I'll send you what I made.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 pm 

BBTS has Big Powered and the pilot set up for presale. Cool part - they are showing the pilot set has TWO motorcycles. DROOL!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:13 am 

The powered suit type E that comes with Big Powered is one sexy piece of plastic ....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 pm 

Got my set of the new Dianauts. Was a little disappointed that instead of black, they are a dark gray (Lego Batman would approve) like the original set. I will say the silver is really nice - wish they would have just done a set of all silver pilots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:51 pm 

Morian Miner wrote:
Got my set of the new Dianauts. Was a little disappointed that instead of black, they are a dark gray (Lego Batman would approve) like the original set. I will say the silver is really nice - wish they would have just done a set of all silver pilots.

Dianauts are fairly easy to customize, should you decide to repaint some. They break down to around 7-8
small pieces (you can keep the torso intact or separate), which all pop back together.

I like to prime & paint each piece individually, then assemble. They take spray paint nicely, in thin layers. I've hand-painted and spray-painted, and have had a lot of success with both.

If you have a silver you like, I'd prime a Dianaut and then hit it with silver. Once you get past being afraid of the fragility, these little dudes are a ton of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:04 am 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Those of you customizing Dianauts, you might be interested in this. You can see where I did a one-piece solid Dianaut and it captured his detail well. I'm thinking I'll be breaking down a Dianaut and seeing if I can make copies of individual pieces that are usable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:33 pm 

I saw that yesterday. If you make extra torsos and arms I'd be interested in picking up a few. I'm not ready to use my actual Dianauts for articulation experimentation but I need test bodies that are more "dianaut accurate" to see what tweaks I need to make to the method.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:16 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])