Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:47 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Custom Celebration X
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:45 am 

bucky :cry: so very well written! as a fairly new member of the forum I applaud the lasting members for keeping alive this wonderful collection of customs and customizers.

I will never come to facebook and if joecustoms went away tomorrow ... I might stop posting anywhere.

I ask every dedicated member to throw down the lure of face book and forsake the "other forums" for this site. if we stay here and only here, with the talent we share, other people will find us... join us.. just to share in our scene :)

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:10 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Many true things have been said that also apply to me. English isn't my first language. I'm pretty sure I can express myself enough to a reasonable level, but that's not as good as you guys can, so I'm just going to quote some stuff.
(that being said, I've never had any members correcting me on my grammar, but I don't write all my comments perfect/perfectly, right? Please do so, I want to learn!)

I discovered Joecustoms in the summer of 2007. There was a Dutch G.I.Joe forum and some guy showed pics of part swapping, calling the newly created figure an LBC. I asked where that term came from and he directed me to this site. That was quite shock at first, seeing people taking Joes apart and even painting them! Sacrilege!
I immediately also saw the benefits of that: repainting ugly the neon figures from the 90's could give them a new look the molds deserved. Also, swapping parts, sculpting details and painting everything could even create entirely new figures/characters.
After lurking around for a year, I bought a few paints + paintbrushes and made my first steps into customising: Monstro-Viper. The start of a fantastic new hobby!

sgcaper wrote:
For me the biggest change was the birth of the little one. It's changed everything. Everything.
I have very little time for customs so it takes a month of more to finish anything.

Oh, that's so true. Although I love my two little boys more than anything, I miss the days that I could spend entire afternoons and evenings on customising. I was able to participate in almost every NJC and make 10-15 customs a year. Not anymore nowadays, sometimes that's a little frustrating.....

drbindy wrote:
The approach to the community is probably where I've noticed the most change personally, and toward the site. The high volume of traffic here when I first joined was inspiring. So many of those early friends have either left the hobby, left the site, or just don't post their work anymore. That change is a negative one.

Yup, that kinda saddens me sometimes. Such nice members, such great talents, why have they stopped posting or why did they lose interest? Are they even aware that they were an inspiration for others? I'm so crazy about this hobby and this site that it's hard for me to understand why one would quit that hobby.
(idea: how about some kind of reunion group project? Contacting the old members, asking all of them if they would be willing to make one more custom?)

2DARK2C wrote:
I remember getting a few pm's in the beginning for breaking content rules, one funny instance I was actually looking for some "page 13" with rules on it when someone asked what don't I get about pg-13 8-O :rotfl:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :like:

bucky wrote:
- Joecustoms has been my home page ever since.
- The forums used to be pretty busy, and maybe it's just me visitng every day multiple times, but I always thought that they were busier than a lot of other sites that existed at the time.
- I've seen a lot of different changes at the site over the years. There used to be a chat room. That was crazy in there. I didn't go all that often, I couldn't keep up with them lol.
- There last few years I've tried to go to more and more conventions and meet members, and doing so has been great. You've got a crew of guys that have been here awhile and still come here on a regular basis that show up to the show. Being able to faces to board names, hang out and talk customizing or toys in person is special, and if you ever get the opportunity to visit a joecustoms booth do so, say hi, and talk shop.

Joecustoms is my homepage too, I visit this site daily. I believe the forums have been less busy since a couple of years now. But that could be me as well, visiting JC daily and hoping to see new stuff or interesting threads every time.
I just got into the Chat Room when it disappeared. Why did it actually go? Not enough traffic compared to the costs?
Oh, conventions. I can only dream of attending one. Work and family simply just make it impossible for me to make a trip to the US. I never get to talk to other G.I.Joe customisers, only by posting on this site. I'm probably the only active customiser over here in the Netherlands and one of the few in Europe. Luckily there are occasions that make me feel more than just a member of the JC family: a little bit in the NJC's and GP's, but mostly when the Custom Celebration, Blind Pull Project, Secret Santa and Ultimate Team Battle show up. Awesome events!

2DARK2C wrote:
I will never come to facebook...
I ask every dedicated member to throw down the lure of face book and forsake the "other forums" for this site. if we stay here and only here, with the talent we share, other people will find us... join us.. just to share in our scene :)

I'm not a FB-er either, so I'm with you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:36 pm 

Hey Tim,

I feel some of your pain my man... Being a Joe customiser and living outside of the US, you feel a little bit "in the wilderness" sometimes, both in terms and conventions, meeting other customisers in the flesh, and also in terms of fodder.

There is a small shining light for you though... "Roll Out Roll Call", an awesome convention in Heathrow, London this July. Loads of fodder on sale, plus loads of fellow customisers to talk to... and only a small hop from the Netherlands!

I know you're not a FB-er, but here's the link to it: https://www.facebook.com/events/894068504042765/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:01 pm 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Hey, thanks for pointing that out, Lad!
Now that I reread my post, I think it might sound a bit depressing, but that's actually opposite of what I'm feeling!
It's still a joy to visit JC every day and to work on customs! I get a lot of inspiration when I see all the great work people do here.

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:47 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])