Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:57 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: Custom Celebration/2016: Wrap Up Party
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:23 pm 
Don't **** with the buck.

Custom Celebration/2016: Wrap Up Party

The year in Joecustoms!

Here we are, 2017 and wrapping up Custom Celebration 11. For some, it might feel like we just wrapped up CCX, while for others, it seems like ages ago.

Whichever it may be for you, Joecustoms hopes you enjoyed CC11 and continue to feel the enthusiasm and need/want to ply your trade and enjoy the hobby you chose, all year long.

-This last year saw us at two conventions, the GIJOE Collectors Club in Loveland, and Assembly Required in Des Moines. Each has its pros and cons, but anybody who was there knows fun was had by all. Thank you anyone who stopped by the table to chat and talk shop, in Loveland I personally met more JC members than I ever have in the past. Talking with members like Darren Howlett, from waaayyyy back in the day, was a fantastic trip down JC Forums Lane. He remembered things that I thought only I did! And the talking shop at the different shows with Chief (watching Chief talk to kids about his customs in Iowa was fantastic.. he was just as excited as they were), Zombieguide, Kilcarr, drbindy, ThomasArmada, AvacsLab, Silent Master, AvacsLab, Joeczar, Redclaw, notpicard, Darren, Danofthedead, Karl, Troy,and mysterious Stranger.. and anybody else I am forgetting...(I met alot of people this year like I said!) it was and is always a great experience, and one everybody should get if they venture to a con.
Attachment:
chief.jpg
chief.jpg [ 54.93 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

Attachment:
cheifnkids.jpg
cheifnkids.jpg [ 24.79 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

As for Joemichaels70 and hypnohustler, usually at every show I am at, they are always fun to discuss the site and customs and life in general. I may not be their best "Joe" buddy, but they're mine. A lot of what you are seeing now with the auctions and redesign, the social media presence, the class at Assembly Required, all comes from just hanging out with those two and talking customs. Kudos to those two guys.

-Another fun Loveland story:

Gary Head aka Goggles aka Gyre Viper used to hide toys and convention items he purchased around the con floor and hotel. Just nice little surprises for some lucky attendees. Using one of the BossFightStudio skeletons as a prize, JoeMichaels70 had the bright idea to continue that tradition by hiding a miniature GyreViper standee J_Man made for the table display. One of Boss Fights' biggest fans, Joel, found it. The scavenger hunt proved to be such a huge success that we ran it the second day sponsored by Maruader Inc with one of his new carded convention figures as the prize.
Attachment:
joel and mini gyre.jpg
joel and mini gyre.jpg [ 47.01 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

-While in Des Moines for Assembly Required, Joecustoms had the opportunity to do a customizing seminar. Hypnohustler, Kilcarr and Bucky talked basic constructs and disassembly of the modern era figures (with kilcarr even bleeding on Bucky-these classes are intense!), also touching on other basics. It was a learning experience for us, I think more so than the people attending. People WANT to customize, and Joecustoms WANTS to be there for them.
Attachment:
class.jpg
class.jpg [ 71.63 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

Attachment:
class2.jpg
class2.jpg [ 69.45 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

Attachment:
billy.jpg
billy.jpg [ 54.22 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

Attachment:
customentries.jpg
customentries.jpg [ 79.22 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

We plan on doing more in the future, with more surprises in store.

-The year was full of fantastic customs and projects from a host of talented people yet again. Every year, New/newer talent continues to emerge from the shadows of the forums and make their mark, and longtime members continue to work at perfecting the craft they love so much. Watching talented people progress through the years (and it's been *years* for some of us lol) is one of the best parts of perusing the forums.
Attachment:
armijo.jpg
armijo.jpg [ 88.23 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

-Regarding the toys, Hasbro put out assortments the last year or so that as always, were hit and miss. I talked a good deal with Mark Weber, Joes brand Manager at Loveland. As luck would have it, we were across from the Hasbro table. While the figures are hit and miss, Mr. Webers enthusiasm for the line isn't a miss at all. He loves it as much as the ordinary collector. Mr. DePriest joined Joecustoms for dinner one night in Loveland and let us know that he loves what we do, and talked toys with us for some time. Both guys are great to talk with.
Attachment:
ddp.jpg
ddp.jpg [ 81.03 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

-This was a fantastic year for kickstarters as well. Several crazy and cool kickstarters were launched and funded, and the toys that came from them were a boon for 3 3/4 inch toy fans and customizers both. MTF's last batch sets the bar quite high, and Boss Fight continues to blow our minds with the amazing sculpts and even the repaints! The game continues to evolve, in ways I never imagined. Seeing the things people are doing with MTF and HACKS has truly changed the game.

-As other media options outside of forums have gained popularity (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest),
Joecustoms has done what they can to adapt. The forum activity isn't what it once was, but that's ok. The purpose of Joecustoms is to be the premier site to learn/teach/share the customizing hobby, and archive the customs done. (Archive currently contains 16000 customs... 16000!! And that's just the figures!). Here's the totals:

16,724 Figures

1511 Vehicles

289 Playsets

18,524 Total customs

MIND BLOWN.

-In 2017, we just wrapped up our Joecustoms Donation Auctions, with proceeds going directly to helping update the Front Page and help us continue our Convention presence, a new banner for our Con tables, and supplies for our classes at Assembly Required.

Thank you all for helping and your donations, you continue to make this place great.
It was a chore that we probably won't ever repeat, but the endgame will be worth it.

On a personal note, I've been coming here for damn near 20 years... 20 years. That's a long, long time. It's always been my online home and the people here are what makes me come back. Being able to share your passion for a hobby with others online first, and then in person, and build friendships off of it that transcend the hobby, is something I will never forget.

Thank you Joecustoms!

Attachments:
IMG_2178.JPG
IMG_2178.JPG [ 39.65 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor
 Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Custom Celebration/2016: Wrap Up Party
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:30 pm 

awesome post!

those of us who have never been to an event really enjoy when you guys give detailed action reports!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:14 pm 

Most awesome indeed.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:22 pm 
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN

Great summary bucky! Both cons last year were great, new people to meet and old friends to catch up with. Excited for what's in store!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 pm 
Ripe with kibble
Ripe with kibble

Hi Bucky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:09 am 

Hey.

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:57 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])