Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:04 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: alleyviperelite's WIP it challenge, SPIN IT!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 pm 

Here's my challenge. This started when I got the big Soldier Force C-130 and got to thinking how to use it. Thought it would be fun to squeeze this pilot and orphan into my joeverse.

Attachment:
TS Pilot and Orphan.jpg
TS Pilot and Orphan.jpg [ 78.16 KiB | Viewed 559 times ]

Finished these guys up a week or two ago after they had been in my WIP drawer since I got the Hobbit figure on clearance or yard sale or something.

As I worked them into my joeverse I needed to add some more characters.

Attachment:
TS Owner.jpg
TS Owner.jpg [ 42.11 KiB | Viewed 559 times ]

The small business owner came together pretty easily in a day or so and I wish I had taken some pics of the WIP. Cover Girl head, torso, and upper arms. Indiana Jones lady lower arms, Lady Jaye upper legs and knees meshed with a Kenner Princess Leia ceremonial dress (came in a two pack with Han Solo).

And I couldn't make the owner without her daughter.

Attachment:
TS Owner Kid.jpg
TS Owner Kid.jpg [ 78.52 KiB | Viewed 559 times ]

This one was a bit more of a challenge as I wanted her to be shorter than the orphan because she is younger. I knew I had the Spy Kids head to work with if I could just find a usable base figure. Walmarts all over the area had these TMNT mega blocks clearanced down to a buck and I picked up the see through Leo and the Casey Jones for the heck of it. Had to trim the leg wraps from Leo's legs and shape the shoes to look more human. Green stuff makes the bib overall top and replaced the hand with those from the previous Princess Leia (waste not, want not). Then my wife suggested that she needed a teddy bear or doll accessory. Trimmed the bear out of a Chap Mei leg that had donated the feet to another custom.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: alleyviperelite's WIP it challenge, SPIN IT!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 pm 

Now I needed a bad guy or two.

Attachment:
TS Pirate.jpg
TS Pirate.jpg [ 86.35 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

The pirate commander fell together pretty easy but now I'm not sure about the legs, the proportions look way off but I may be able to remedy that with the coattails and a more prominent belt and buckle.

Attachment:
TS Pirate Thug.jpg
TS Pirate Thug.jpg [ 65.84 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

Don't be fooled by the pic, the thug's proportions are not that bad in person. I really like this head and I've wanted to use it for a while now. Now to match the skin tone and make a skull cap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 pm 

The pilot's crew started to grow with the greasy mechanic.

Attachment:
TS Mechanic.jpg
TS Mechanic.jpg [ 109.25 KiB | Viewed 554 times ]

I went a little different with his hairstyle but kept it wild with the dreds. Trying to get his coveralls greasy. Got to detail this one and I'll call it done.

The barkeep is in the early stages.

Attachment:
TS Barkeep.jpg
TS Barkeep.jpg [ 115.28 KiB | Viewed 554 times ]

I see this guy as an ex boxer who retired and took up the easy life running a bar in paradise. A daily uniform of baggy Hawaiian shirt, loose pants, and flip flops means a life of ease, although he still keeps rough company. The head came from JFAK years ago, its a shrunken Hellboy with the horns shaved off by me. The cigar broke off in the head box so I made a new one from a bit of wood. Gotta get the head mounted on a neck post and finish sculpting the shirt details tomorrow. And I know I got a set of POTC flip flop feet around here somewhere. Gotta find a wide brimmed hat for him too or make one. I kinda want it removable but not so sure if that will happen.

And the last part of this will be the giant C-130 that needs to have some pontoons attached to make it a seaplane and paint it up yellow and orange. I really want to detail the inside like Dr. Bindy did for his but I don't know if I up to the task.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:53 am 

I can't believe you did these. They're great, and the WIPs look very promising.

I've got Don Karnage on my work table, and had some ideas for Baloo, but I'm impressed you've got so many of these going.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 pm 

DanOfTheDead wrote:

I've got Don Karnage on my work table, and had some ideas for Baloo, but I'm impressed you've got so many of these going.

Thanks, I hope I can see them through. This has gotten bigger and more involved than I ever planned with a lot of sculpting and trimming going on. I need to stay focused and not get sidetracked. I've still got 4 or 5 TMNT customs still in the WIP box from when we did Ninja Turtles as the nojoe contest that I just can't get motivated on.

With that being said I got the barkeep's shirt sculpted today for the most part. I've still got some places to smooth out but I'm pretty happy with how this shaped up. I've got the waist trimmed to fit under the shirt tail and found a neck for the head. Added some thicker eyebrows cause this dude has been around a while. And I can't seem to find that one pair of flip flop feet I was looking for but I think I want to go with some cookout sandals anyway. Looks like I'll be sculpting shoes now. For such an extra character this one is taking priority with my ideas and I really want to see this one through soon.

Attachment:
TS Barkeep 2.jpg
TS Barkeep 2.jpg [ 151.81 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:04 pm 

No pics since no real big accomplishments.

Finished painting the mechanic, and started painting the business owner's daughter. I am not liking those Mega Block joints. Too small to trim and sand and the plastic does not take paint well. Just have deal with it I guess.

I Got the seams split on the barkeep and the head sits perfect. Tried to trim out the hat that came with the comic pack Oktober Guard to fit with no luck. I need to find bigger legs to balance out the large torso now. Finally found the flip flop legs I was looking for but stumbled upon one of this guy's legs:
Attachment:
POTC Gunner.jpg
POTC Gunner.jpg [ 29.19 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

These are the absolute best feet to go on this piece. Now to find the other one is like finding that needle in the haystack. I may have to break down and buy another figure from eBay or amazon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:27 pm 

Finished painting the kid last night:

Attachment:
TS M Done.jpg
TS M Done.jpg [ 70.5 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

Mechanic was done Saturday:

Attachment:
TS Mechanic Done.jpg
TS Mechanic Done.jpg [ 97.34 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

And a group shot of where I'm at so far:

Attachment:
TS Group.jpg
TS Group.jpg [ 79.48 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:31 pm 

Finished up the mods to the Barkeep today. Instead of buying another figure for just the feet, I decided to give the old guy some Crocs. Added some pant cuffs to the lower legs and now to let the green stuff cure.

Attachment:
TS Barkeep 3.jpg
TS Barkeep 3.jpg [ 88.54 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]

And I'll get started on painting the Pirate Thug today. Still got to make his fight cap but that's not getting in the way of the figure painting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 pm 
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN

Awesome stuff man, can't wait to see it all done and together!

And I'm really jazzed to see what you do with the plane.

Wonder if it'd be worth tracking down some of the old toys from the line to give the pirates some wings?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:00 pm 

HypnoHustler wrote:
Awesome stuff man, can't wait to see it all done and together!

And I'm really jazzed to see what you do with the plane.

Wonder if it'd be worth tracking down some of the old toys from the line to give the pirates some wings?

Thanks!

Dr. Bindy's C-130 really showed what is possible with the plane. Gonna be a complete teardown to the interior compartment and rebuild much like he did, I hope. The way I have shoehorned the cast into my joeverse, I need the plane to be a livable space that they are traveling in. A pilot, and orphan, a mechanic, the business owner, and her daughter all need to share the space and I hope I can achieve that. As far as the exterior, I've got some Chap Mei kayaks around here that I think can be repurposed to make the pontoons for the wings. And then to coat the behemoth in yellow and tan. I'm 100% certain this will not get done by the end of CC 11, but hopefully this spring if I don't get blasted with too many home projects.

As far as pirate planes, I have this one in yellow:
Attachment:
Chap Mei Plane.jpg
Chap Mei Plane.jpg [ 54.83 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

And my son has another seaplane that I've got to figure out what to trade him for it, the boy loves airplanes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:05 pm 

The pirate thug is finished and cured. I'll drill the feet and add magnets tonight.

Attachment:
TS Pirate Thug Done.jpg
TS Pirate Thug Done.jpg [ 78.11 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

The barkeep is painted as well with minor touchups to follow after reassembly.:

Attachment:
TS Barkeep Paint.jpg
TS Barkeep Paint.jpg [ 63.25 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

And I finished the mods to the pirate captain. Its hard to see the tails on the coat but they are there and I sculpted the sash to lower the waistline. This one should get primed tonight and finished by this weekend.:

Attachment:
TS Pirate Capt.jpg
TS Pirate Capt.jpg [ 76 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

I've added to more thugs to the wishlist and I've started piecing them together but they may never see the light of day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:13 pm 
Plug
Plug

DanOfTheDead wrote:

I'm an idiot. I was like, "Oh what a neat concept," but didn't realize who they were supposed to be until going back through this thread. Brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:45 pm 

pluv wrote:
DanOfTheDead wrote:

I'm an idiot. I was like, "Oh what a neat concept," but didn't realize who they were supposed to be until going back through this thread. Brilliant.

It must have been my mysterious picture file names that kept you in the dark. If I can ever get around to the C-130 I don't think it will be any doubt what this series of customs is based on.

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:04 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])