Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: What was your childhood collection like? CC11, Day 4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:26 am 
Plug
Plug

What was your childhood collection like? What figures, playsets and vehicles did you have? Which got the most play and why?

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: What was your childhood collection like? CC11, Day 4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:12 am 

My very first Joe was straight arm Short-Fuze that my Grandmother bought for me at Zayre's during a road trip to the US. That must have been early 1983. I remember playing with it quite a bit. That same year, I bought some more Joes with my birthday money - Grunt, Flash, the APC and the MOBAT w. Steeler. That Christmas, I felt like I hit the jackpot. I got Snow Job, Tripwire, Cobra Officer, the Polar Battle Bear, the GI Joe Headquarters, the Wolverine w. Cover Girl.

After that, I got Joes at pretty much every birthday and Christmas for a couple of years. All in all, what I remember having as a kid:

Figures
- Short-Fuze
- Grunt
- Flash
- Zap
- Steeler
- Cobra Officer
- Cover Girl
- Airborne
- Tripwire
- HISS Driver

- Duke
- Spirit
- Thunder
- Hooded Cobra Commander
- Firefly
- Scrap Iron
- Storm Shadow
- Stinger Driver
- Zartan

- Alpine
- Barbecue
- Footloose
- Frostbite
- Shipwreck
- Snake Eyes w. Timber
- Crimson Guard
- Snow Serpent
- Tomax & Xamot

- Mainframe
- Cobra Viper

- Crazy Legs

- Iron Grenadier

Vehicles/Playsets
- APC
- MOBAT
- Polar Battle Bear
- Wolverine
- HISS
- PAC/RAT Machine Gun
- SNAKE Armor

- Chameleon
- Stinger
- Machine Gun Defense Unit
- MANTA
- Mortar Defense Unit
- Slugger

- Silver Mirage Motorcycle
- Snow Cat

My collection focused largely on 83/84/85 and trailed off quickly in 1986. I was 10 at the time and remember '86 being a Transformers year for me. It's the year I got Metroplex, the Protectobots, Hot Rod and a bunch of others, so Joes got set aside.

I remember that my early favorite was Grunt. I loved that he was the face of GI Joe for the first years. After he lost his thumbs and o-ring, I loved the Crimson Guard, the Cobra Viper, Alpine, Barbecue and Footloose. They have all remained favorites.

On the flip side, I remember being disappointed by Spirit, the Silver Mirage Motorcycle and Zartan. Those got set aside rather quickly after I got them.

OB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 am 

My first few figures i still remember buying in order were
-Mainframe
-Barbecue
-Eels
-Dialtone
-Hawk
-Zarana
I forgot the order of the rest after that. But i did keep an bought order list back then in the beginning.

My first vehicle playsets were the Bomb Disposal and the Cobra bunker.

I usually didnt play them with their weapons but included pets. They were all friends. And having three elder sisters they made my joes furnitures like beds closets chairs and tables, and I kept all these in a shelf-cum-dollhouse.

This extra bit may be weird, but I really loved gijoes since then, and i used to place the makeshift bed beside mine, and picked a figure (in order) to sleep with me every night. With their pillows and blankets.

It was only until I got into high school when my buying got blown big, and i started not being able to keep track of them. And have continued since then with battles between good and evil.

And yes, I stopped placing them by my bedside already.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 am 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

My collection started around Christmas of '83. I got Rock-n-Roll at school as a gift, then got Gung-Ho and the APC for Christmas from my parents, along with a RAM that I had to share with my kid brother. Those two guys were best buds and went everywhere in the APC. They're still my favorite two Joes. Those two ran around with Sgt. Rock and his pals, fighting the Bad Guys, because I didn't get any other Joes for a while. But if you remember, things stayed on shelves forever back then, instead of the cycling out of old product for new we get every few months now.

So this meant that for my birthday in '84, I got Duke, Scarlet, Baroness, and Zartan, along with a Rattler and a Slugger, then got the HQ for Christmas. I had asked only for Joe that year and I got only Joe from everyone. I remember being so worried I wasn't going to get the Rattler, because we had gone to Wal-Mart to do some shopping, which I knew was code for 'birthday shopping'. Mom told me and kid brother to wait in the foyer and play video games, but brother insisted on going in and finding mom not long after she'd gone in. I knew if I went in, mom would put back any toys in the cart because it wouldn't be a surprise, so I took him in, found mom, and pointed him toward her then ran back out. But I had seen it. I had seen the Rattler in the cart. When she came out, she asked where my brother was and I said he came in to find her. She became upset that I would let my 3 year old brother (I was almost 9 at the time, the '80's were truly a different time for parenting) in the store alone. That's when I told her I had brought him in, pointed him to the cart, then went back out. She went back in and found him, and I still got the Rattler.

Various small playsets (FANG, SNAKE, etc.) or figures were purchased throughout the year, using my 'allowance' -- we went to visit my grandfather once a week and he'd always give me a $1 for doing some trivial task for him. At the time, I thought the more I did, the more I might get, but I now know he gave all the grandkids who visited a dollar, under the ruse it was payment for something as simple as changing the channel for him (he had had a stroke and so could not easily walk, and remotes weren't really a thing yet). We generally went to Wal-Mart once a month, so this allowed me just enough time to save up the money to spend $2.83 (plus tax!) for a figure, or if I had saved right, the ~$5 for a small vehicle/playset.

Until about 1988, GI Joe was my Pokemon -- I had to have them all. In 1988, I became more selective about which figures I bought, but I still collected religiously and almost compulsively. A trip to the store was agonizing, since I had to decide between all the incredible figures. Usually, the figure with the most accessories won out, but occasionally, it was a matter of pragmatism. If there were four of one figure on the pegs and only one of another, I bought the lone figure, hoping all four of the other wouldn't sell out before my next visit. Other times, I'd revisit my dalliance with Transformers or He-Man instead of buying a Joe, but those moments were rare. I did not get every figure, but I did get most of them, excluding vehicle drivers. I did not have a lot of the larger vehicles due to space and price.

One of my most exciting finds also came in 1987. We had gone shopping at a small grocery store we rarely visited and I sought out the meager toy aisle I knew had to be there, since every grocery store had some sort of toy aisle. At the end of the aisle was a produce display, but instead of produce, it was full of toys. Mostly Hot Wheels and the like, but then something caught my eye -- there, in the corner, was a 1984 Storm Shadow! I hadn't seen him in the store, ever, so he had always eluded me. Yet here, in this tiny grocery store, I finally found him. I clutched him up and ran to mom, begging her to let me buy him, promising to pay her back when we got home.

In 1989, for my 14th birthday, I received the last toy I would get as a gift. My parents had tried to talk me into asking for something more mature, but I still held onto my childhood, wanting toys yet also wanting to be a grown-up, so we compromised. I got the Crusader (I had asked for the Defiant when it was out, but there was no way they could do that) along with other more 'age appropriate' things. If 14 year-old me could see the me of today, I believe he would be happy.

A lot of my collection came from trading with friends, trading off Transformers for Joes or Joes for Transformers, or He-Man figures for either. As a result, my collection was always changing, but what I remember having as a kid and not trading off:
82 - RAM and VAMP, no figures (had swivel arm versions of Breaker, RnR, Scarlet, Cobra Trooper, Cobra Officer)
83 - APC, FANG, HISS, Dragonfly, HQ, Polar Battle Bear, SNAKE, Airborne, Doc, Gung-Ho, Major Bludd, Snow Job, Tripwire, HISS driver, Wild Bill, Battle Gear pack
84 - Chameleon, ASP, CLAW, Rattler, SHARC, Sky Hawk, Slugger, Stinger (got in trade, no driver), all carded figures, Deep Six, Thunder, Wild Weasel, Zartan, Hooded CC, Battle Gear pack
85 - AWE Striker, Armadillo, Bridge Layer, Silver Mirage, Snow Cat, Cobra Night Landing, Check Point Alpha, Parachute Pack, Battle Gear pack, all carded figures (had two of Lady Jaye because I won her on a TV trivia call in show and they sent me two), all drivers but Keel Haul and Lamprey
86 - Air Chariot, Stun, Conquest X-30, Devilfish, HAVOC, Surveillance Port, Battle Gear pack, all single pack figures, mail-in Sgt. Slaughter, Cross Country, Stun Driver, Serpentor, Slipstream
87 - Buzz Boar (don't know where it came from, but I always had one), Maggot, Air Skiff, Dreadnok trike, Battle Gear pack, all carded except Big Boa, Raptor, and Sneak Peak; WORMS, Zanzibar, Slaughters Marauders, Refrigerator Perry (ordered one, they sent me 3)
88 - Stellar Stiletto, Swampmasher, Skystorm, Cobra Battle Gear pack, Blizzard, Shockwave, Spearhead & Max, Road Pig, Windmill, Star Viper, all the Tiger Force non-drivers
89 - Arctic Blast, Crusader, Devastator, Darklon's Evader, Python Asp, Python Stun, Tiger Fish, Tiger Sting, Alley Viper, Annihilator, Countdown, Gnawgahyde, Recoil, Rock-n-Roll, Snake Eyes, Stalker, TARGAT, Darklon, Payload, all the Slaughters Marauders, can't remember which Python Patrol figures (pretty sure Copperhead, but not sure who else)
90 - Sky Hawk, Sky Sharc, Cpt Grid-Iron, Freefall, Metal Head, Pathfinder, Rampart, Stretcher, Topside
91+ - I may have snagged some stuff here and there in last grasps of childhood, but they weren't really part of my collection
My favorites then were, and still are, RnR and Gung-Ho so they got the most play.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 pm 
Ripe with kibble
Ripe with kibble

OreoBuilder wrote:
My very first Joe was straight arm Short-Fuze

ME, TOO !!

#twinsies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 pm 
Plug
Plug

My toys were in stacked towers not unlike my kid's today, only mine were in orange and yellow ones. The orange had all the vehicles, legos, Construx and Capsela.
The yellow had:
Joes
Star Wars
Weapons and accessories
All other figures (He-Man, a dragon, assorted villains, Adventure People etc, Sesame Street, Muppets, Commando, Rambo etc)
A stuffed ET and a couple of other stuffed puppets

Attachment:
IMG_6014.JPG
IMG_6014.JPG [ 45.85 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]

Rock n'Roll was the first. Blonde, machine gunner and the Ram. My brother got Snake Eyes and Stalker. I think I got the RAM next. Anyway, next to the towers was my dresser with the HQ on it and the Dragonfly on the landing pad on top of the cell. So, many missions started with Cobra trying to scale the cliffs to break into Joe HQ.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 pm 
Don't **** with the buck.
Don't **** with the buck.

I had quite a bit of Joes as a kid. Being 3 bucks (at the very most) at any given retailer almost always ensured that if you did something good (like a good report card), you could get one as a reward.

My interest really picked up steam in '85. As I was out of He Man by then, and Star Wars was dead. Transformers were going strong for me but Joes were where it was at. Compared to Transformers, I found them more fun to play with and not as fragile.

I was a huge fan of the cartoon, and that's a main part of the reason why I had so many. Christmas was usually a boon, as I'd get a decent amount of figures and vehicles.

I remember Christmas of '85 vividly. Damn I wish I had a picture, one existed at one point. I only wish I knew what happened to it.
Skystriker, mauler, awe striker... it was an awesome sight. And the figures! I swear there were like 4 rows, all 3-4 deep of carded figures. While I don't remember every single specific ones, getting two of the three dreadnoks stick out. Lady jaye and shipwreck were in there, Baroness was there.

Throughout the years, it was mostly figures while vehicles waited for birthdays or holidays.
I can tell you where a lot (store wise) of the figures came from to this day. '86 Xmas brought the conquest, and Slaughter. Sci Fi was there, Lifeline i believe.

'87 wasn't the best year, I think there was some financial trouble. My brothers and I got the MCC, though we had to share it. Strange concept for me, as I had my own joes and my brothers has theirs. I don't remember getting a lot of figures that year at Christmas. There were figures here and there through the year, but I didn't have much from that year as a kid.

I never had the whole "set" every year. Some figures just didn't appeal to me (didn't care for leatherneck or wet suit as an example.) Some just eluded me-I never had a Flint until I was in my 20's. Some, like everyone out there, got massive playtime. Falcon and the Renegades, BAT, Beach Head, Shipwreck, 89 SE and RnR, Shockwave, Rampart, tiger force, '91 Duke, '91 SE were staples for years.

I dabbled in the Mail Away game as well. I don't remember everything, but I vividly remember the sky hawk and the hooded CC coming in '89 or so.

My favorite vehicles as a kid where the ones that I could load multiple guys on. As the years went on, that included the MCC, desert Fox, and the Mean Dog. I love that vehicle to this day. I remember loving Tiger Force. I had quite a bit of that, and the Iron Grenadiers? Had a lot of that as well.

When picking out Joes for myself, accessories usually swayed my opinion. Some of my favorites through the years include blizzard, snake eyes '89, scoop, spearhead, fast draw, outback... I could go on and on and on.

Joes served me well through the years, and were my only friend after I moved to Iowa and knew nobody. A boy and his toys! It was a lonely year, my freshman year. Coming from a large metro area like Phoenix to a small (to residents big) city wasn't easy. I didn't fit in much at all, there were a lot of farm/country kids. A lot of sports fans. Not so much in the way of Toy/Comic fans.

The last figures I received as gifts were Sub Zero- well after he'd been at retail (must have been a shelf warmer) in 1993. The last ones I remember buying was a ninja force Scarlett and the Ninja Cycle.

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:13 pm 

I was a very lucky kid. Between my brother and I we had just about everything including the terror drome and the Flagg.

Vehicles I remember loving:

Tomahawk
Conquest
Night Raven
Awe Striker
Desert Fox
Rolling Thunder
Mobile Command Center
Ferret

Figures I loved:
Dusty
Law and Order
Airtight
Sci-Fi
Hit and Run
Big Boa
Crocmaster
BAT
Zartan
Zarana

So many good memories playing with friends.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:14 pm 

Attachment:
20170223_182305.jpg
20170223_182305.jpg [ 96.21 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]

My whole figure collection fit in this box (broken dusty shown for size comparison). I had started collecting around 85 and I can remember getting Firefly, Dusty and Buzzer as my first figures somewhere along in there. Buzzer has remained a favorite. I usually got a figure for good grades, good deeds, pulled teeth, and so on. Vehicles were usually gifted to me at my birthday and Christmas. GI Joe was always the perfect gift. I had a HAVOC and a Night Raven that stand out in my memory. I broke one of my front teeth out trying to put the Tomahawk together on Christmas morning after everyone went back to sleep. I inherited many of my older brothers' worn out and broken joe toys as they outgrew them.

My joes had moved on to take on a whole new life with my main character, we'll call Me, was a "custom" of Buzzer torso and head, Rock & Roll V2 arms, and Backblast legs and waist. He led a team of heroes/mercenaries/stunt car drivers/masked vigilantes. Snake Eyes V3 was his masked persona. Joined by redheaded Dusty/PP Viper, Mercer V2/Night Viper, screamin Grunt/Darklon, and Salvo/Croc-Master they fought hard against the evil forces led by Gnawgahyde. His right hand man was Sniper, made from a Clutch head, Marauders Mutt torso and Marauders Lowlight legs and arms. Everybody else were the bad guys, except Lady Jaye as she was Buzzer's main squeeze. They fought across the living room on homemade ropes that I made from the thread my mom brought home from her time in the textile factory. They fought hand to hand with whatever cool martial arts I had recently seen on TV. They had massive car chases that I played out with Matchbox cars. They went with me to Granny and Grandaddy's house and they went from my bedroom to the living room to the bathroom in that box.

Oh that fun blue box.

My joes were kind of scattered and those old vinyl figure cases had seen their better days. My dad brought that box home from his job at the factory in town. And the blue paint was some that was given away at his job as well. Not much of a family man, my dad was probably worn out by the time the 5th son came around. But he made time one Saturday to make the hinged lid and supervise as I slathered the leftover blue paint all over the box and myself. We attached a couple brass drawer pulls to the sides and my joes had a new sturdy home. This box became the do all and end all for my joes. I still love the sound of the plastic in that wooden box and the smell is still the same and makes me remember playing with joes as a kid and into my teenage years. It was a wrestling ring when I outgrew the big battles. My family was witness to that blue box and my attachment to it and its precious contents. They can't believe I still have this 30 year old box. It fit perfectly under my bed so I could quickly stash it away after I had gotten too old to play with toys and someone like my older brothers or dad busted into my room unannounced. I'm sure they thought they had caught me looking at dirty books the way I moved when throwing those toys in hiding. As an adult in my 20s, my dad was suddenly hospitalized. Having finally put away my toys for adult things like drunkenness and parties, I pulled this box out and sat at my table in my house and pulled those little guys out again. Not wanting to be involved in too much while he was in the hospital I began putting my joes back to their original form. Talking about it to a guy at work led me to joecustoms and my collection now is in the 1500-1700 range I guess with a whole room just for the joes. My dad passed in 2004 less than a year after being hospitalized. And honestly I don't have much to connect me to him but I still have this box and today its filled to the brim with broken joes (as one legged Dusty can testify). Last year we got a shipment in at work and they came in two wooden boxes almost exactly the same size as my blue box. So I salvaged them from the scrap pile and brought them home. And one Saturday I made some hinged lids for them and attached some handles. My daughter painted hers pink and my son picked blue. Hers is full of dolls and his is filled with his own G JY Joes (his pronunciation).

And now I must go get this dust out of my eyes....dadgummed early spring allergies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:13 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

What a beautiful story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 pm 

My first Joes were two hand me down 12 inch figures, they were my go to figures for a while. Then came the 3 3/4 figures.

My childhood collection was a mashup of figures from different lines. My first joes were straight armed grunt and breaker. They joined my ranks of Star Wars figures, CHiPs, Buck Rogers, Dukes of Hazzard, tonka people, clash of the Titans, and the fisher price adventure people. Then I soon began adding more joes, remco figures, and Sgt. Rock.

This band of misfits fought everything from the kraken to skeletor. They made many assaults on castle grayskull and the empire. Even took on the corruption of Hazzard county. Many of my fearless figures lost their life in river battles in the creek. Literally I lost several figures somewhere in that creek.

I carried my figures everywhere. Built based out of about anything I could find. The good ole days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 pm 

My first Joes were two hand me down 12 inch figures, they were my go to figures for a while. Then came the 3 3/4 figures.

My childhood collection was a mashup of figures from different lines. My first joes were straight armed grunt and breaker. They joined my ranks of Star Wars figures, CHiPs, Buck Rogers, Dukes of Hazzard, tonka people, clash of the Titans, and the fisher price adventure people. Then I soon began adding more joes, remco figures, and Sgt. Rock.

This band of misfits fought everything from the kraken to skeletor. They made many assaults on castle grayskull and the empire. Even took on the corruption of Hazzard county. Many of my fearless figures lost their life in river battles in the creek. Literally I lost several figures somewhere in that creek.

I carried my figures everywhere. Built based out of about anything I could find. The good ole days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 pm 

my childhood toys were all over the place. hotwheels, heman, joes, and micromachines :)many 1 ofs and several tcats and silver hawks. I had many joe adventures with a shoebox boat! I built many vehicles and robot war dogs (best way to describe them) from tinker toys.

I actually threw out most of my toys at about 8 yrs old! I began getting heavy into bb guns, knives, and my first bear bow! I did miss the toys rather quickly and a year or two later had a nice floor full again. the nentendo was what killed them next.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 pm 
Ripe with kibble
Ripe with kibble

That's an awesome story, AVE and great job of paying it forward -

That said, if you think you're getting off with this line and no further explanation, you're sorely mistaken:

alleyviperelite wrote:
I broke one of my front teeth out trying to put the Tomahawk together on Christmas morning after everyone went back to sleep.

wh... HOW?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:08 pm 

Okay, so, my age means that I didn't have the Real American Hero when I was a kid, because he didn't exist yet, and my parents refused to allow me to have the original 12" G.I. Joe.

Frankly, they didn't want me to have action figures AT ALL, because they didn't want their son "playing with dolls" (their words, not mine).

However, I eventually talked them into Captain Action, Action Boy, and several costume sets.

I also had a generous supply of Major Matt Mason toys, which they didn't seem to object to quite as much, perhaps because they saw them as a link to the real-world space program, and at the time, we were busting our tails trying to get to the moon.

For the rest of my childhood and teen years, it was mostly Megos.

It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])