Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:04 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: New Customizing Sculpt Compound: 4 Part Epoxy, CC11 Day 11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:36 pm 
Ripe with kibble
Ripe with kibble

Long Story Short: Mixing Aves Apoxiesculpt into your ‘Greenstuff’ makes it less rubbery and will make it dry harder, more conducive to carving and filling. Also, it’s a small world.

Long Story Long:
My fondness for Dan Brereton’s Nocturnals has produced some really cool things:
One of my first customs (and my first attempt at Super Sculpy) resulted in a Gunwitch custom that now resides in his art studio;
Researching the ill-fated action figures led me to 8-Ball Studios (which was local)
and eventually to the book Pop Sculpture (which I highly recommend;)
Following him on social media, I was able to acquire a Sketch Card of my favorite Super Hero;
Attachment:
Visions.jpg
Visions.jpg [ 62.59 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

and then this lil’ guy:
Attachment:
Gunwitch.jpg
Gunwitch.jpg [ 69.3 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

Wyrmwood House’s The Gunwitch, from Dan Brereton's The Nocturnals.
Wyrmwood House is the studio of artist Steve Saunders, producing sculptures for toys, miniature gaming, statues, jewelry and other functional art.

[As discussed on Facebook:]

Wyrmwood House Way back when I worked at WizKids, I began this piece on my off time to push for it to be in a potential Heroclix Indy set as I had Mike Mignola's Hellboy and David Mack's Kabuki. Unfortunately that possibilty never happened. Over the past holiday, I pulled the piece back out and reworked and finally finished it. A dozen or so years in the making...

I reached out to him in his thread to talk about what this sculpture:

Jm7o Is this sculpted at scale? Also, is that ‘green stuff’ 2-part epoxy? It’s fantastic!

Wyrmwood House That is the original sculpt. Not counting his hat, he’s roughly 35mm tall. The material is the blue/yellow “greenstuff”, but I add Aves Apoxiesculpt into the mix. Thanks a lot!

Wyrmwood House It makes it less rubbery. And it does make it dry harder, making it conducive to carving and filing if needed. If the material is too sticky, I give it a little more time to set up. Doesn’t seem to affect the cure time.

Jm7o Thanks for the info! One final question: recommendation on ratio of greenstuff to Aves? (okay, two—are you using the two-part Aves as well?)

Wyrmwood House I usually use half the amount of Aves that I use for the greenstuff. I’ll up the amount if I want a harder surface to work on. It is the two part, as well. http://www.apoxie.com/apoxie/apoxie-sculpt

I then followed up via PM:

Jm7o Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions in your thread, I took a look at some of your other work -- that Diablo chess set is astounding! I'll be following your page for certain!

Wyrmwood House No problem. Thanks a lot for the interest in my work.

Jm7o One last question: when you were with WizKids, did you work on Creepy Freaks?
Attachment:
CreepyFreak2.jpg
CreepyFreak2.jpg [ 203.59 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

Wyrmwood House Ha, yes I did.

Jm7o no kidding -- did you do the sculpts for the figures?

Wyrmwood House Some. I can't recall how many off hand. Some should be in the Wizkids photo album. I was the sculpting manager on that project.
Attachment:
CreepyFreak.jpg
CreepyFreak.jpg [ 14.07 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

Jm7o I not only have a couple of them in my collection (Frosty the Snotman & Monster Under the Bed) - but I made the introduction DVD that was included in that package. [I wasn’t] the animator, but I took his video & created the DVD replication master for it - Small world, huh?

Wyrmwood House HA! Neat! My name is in the credits somewhere. We had fun making them.
I think my credit was for character design.

Jm7o Ok, I'll let you go, thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it -- if you don't mind, I'd like to share your Gunwitch sculpt and greenstuff + Aves tip on joecustoms.com in the 'general customizing' forum -- would that be all right?

Wyrmwood House Absolutely fine to do so.

Links to Wyrmwood House:

https://www.facebook.com/wyrmwoodhouse/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WyrmwoodHouse ... _shop_menu

Bonus Note: I have that Mignola Heroclix set that he sculpted, at least the Hellboy & Lobster Johnson retail pieces!
Attachment:
LobsterJohnson.jpg
LobsterJohnson.jpg [ 24.03 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

This 'four-part' epoxy is definitely something I'm going to try out, next time a custom calls for sculpting!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: New Customizing Sculpt Compound: 4 Part Epoxy, CC11 Day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:32 pm 

Whoa.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

Post subject: Re: New Customizing Sculpt Compound: 4 Part Epoxy, CC11 Day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:04 pm 

very interesting!

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:04 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])