Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: Reign of Cobra-La project reveal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:06 pm 
Plug
Plug

A really good turn out this time around with a lot of cool customs. Go take a peek and then come back here and let everyone know what you think.
http://www.joecustoms.com/projects/proj ... ?p=cobrala

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Reign of Cobra-La project reveal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:34 pm 
DarkJedi'd

CDR's custom was the first I clicked on, really like how it looks visually.

The Major Bludd one I definitely chuckled at. Now I can't unsee it.

The HISS tank was another visually interesting work.

Pretty good turnout.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:28 pm 

Lobstah - is my favorite I think. I can hear him and he sounds Jamaican mon, with the click clacky bug noise of course.

Cazador- those vine arms are crazy good. he has complete comic vibe, a very cool character concept.

Major Bludd -funny at first sight ,but looks like it came off the shelf in the 80's. i'd like to see a set of these in various classic uniform.

Tetrapods - blue, blue, blue. wait you have a pool :) really though you should toss her in and give prizes for who can find her. I love how you used so many parts to give an all blue figure depth and interesting lines.

Royal Destroyer - he is huge! I can see your work in all the great sculpting. can you give details on his weapon?

Greywyrm - awesome for lbc'ish custom. that head is a work of art.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am 
Plug
Plug

Amethstina, Aspirates, Phylax Enforcer, Reticulous, Lord Golobulous, and Hive Queen by 2DARK2C - Holy moly! Man, there is reimagining and then there REIMAGINING. You made them instantly badass and scary and cool. So much to unpack and I’ve already had an extra week looking at them. This motivated me to complete a second entry because you brought your A game, I had to bring mine.

TanCada by 2DARK2C -Unexpected but so, so cool. Of course they would have a pack animal. And the HISS is perfect for that.

Cobra La Hive by 2DARK2C - Ew. It has a very Alien vibe to it.
Cobra La Lab by 2DARK2C - I take it back, this is the real Ew.

Greywyrm by Jeff - That head is perfect and I like how you filled out the Royal Guard ranks.

Royal Destroyer by Jeff - I told Jeff when he submitted this I had just used Bio-Viper for my photoshoot and realized I should have done something in that larger scale. A few hours later I opened the email with this entry. Perfect. Perfect execution too.

Major Bludd by Jeff - I had no idea what to expect here and yet it makes perfect sense here. Love the story too.

Cazador by CDR - This is awesome. Those vine arms are put to excellent use here. I really like how the bio describes their survival.

Lobstah and Tetrapods by me - Lobstah is based on the unproduced Battle Rangers Battle Platform. The character is thought to be what would have been that year’s Dr Mindbender, but badly misrepresented.
Attachment:
FEFAA57B-E078-4957-8471-ED9352ECB1EF.jpeg
FEFAA57B-E078-4957-8471-ED9352ECB1EF.jpeg [ 714.86 KiB | Viewed 847 times ]

I knew I wanted to do a water trooper to go with Lobstah. I was thinking mutated animal like him and then thought Cobra La would be even further evolved and go with something that was bioengineered specifically for water. Tetrapods covers the species of animals they came from the first animals to walk out of the water. Some stayed. Some went back in the water. Making them the perfect amphibians for this storyline. The rest was just using all the translucent blue parts I had. And 2DARK, I dropped one of the tentacle pistols in the water. It took 15 minutes to find it floating a foot away from me. So the camouflage certainly works. :)

Oh, and one of the problems with doing a photoshoot in water is you can’t control the water. There was a lot of snap and pray one of them had everything in frame. Turn your back for a second and, “Hey where’s Road Pig and the Water Moccasin go?”
Attachment:
22F81EFD-B7BD-4F2D-B82A-0CCEBBBCE0FB.jpeg
22F81EFD-B7BD-4F2D-B82A-0CCEBBBCE0FB.jpeg [ 3.45 MIB | Viewed 847 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:13 pm 

Wow!

So much great work. Amazing.

So bummed I missed out on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 pm 

dang 2D2C, you were commited. lots of great stuff from everyone involved.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:55 pm 

Everything was great! The tank though is my hands down favorite. Bravo sirs. I drew a blank, everything I came up with was outside my skill level

(11:52:13) Python_Viper: yeah, the first day i met BA in person, I slept with him that night

(15:38:26) Tex: jesus deadpool gots some nice junk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:40 am 

2DARK2C, thanks. His weapon is made from a dollar store drink stirrer shaped like a palm tree. With the leaves cut off it looks like bone, I added a plastic blade.

I'm so happy to do another group project as the last one I did was a long time ago... ten years or more.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:34 pm 

"dollar store drink stirrer "
that's pretty cool. I had to go back and look again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:50 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

2DARK2C: Of your entries, Aspidites, TanCada and the Hive are my favorites. Aspidites' head and weapon make it work for that figure. Best entry of this GP, IMO. TanCada fits right in in the La-verse. Perfect addition, it would look great next to the Insecticycle. The Hive is looks friggin' freaky! And that poor Gizmo..... 8-O

Jeff: Never would of thought using a MOTU figure as a giant in the Joe-verse, but it totally makes sense when I saw your converted Zodac. Cool eyes!

Pluv: Those Tetrapods are so awesome! I never cared for blank figures like the Shadow Ninjas from '94. In this GP your blank custom is the only way such parts actually work, as blue as the sea. A real threat for the Joes.

CDR: I like the mutated form best, pretty scary guys! They'll be a tough enemy for both Cobra-La and the Joes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:32 pm 

thanks for all the kind words guys.

tim the aspidites head came off a static starwars mini figure I got from drbindy. the head was what I started the custom with, it just looks buggy :) the weapon was left over from a ramjet build I think.

my new character names were all based on real words, though some shortend or respelled.

Aspidites is a genus of pythons endemic to Australia. The name can be translated as "shield bearer" and pertains to the symmetrically shaped head scales.

Reticulatus is part of the scientific name for Reticulated Python

Amethstina is part of the scientific name of the scrub/Amethystine python (Simalia amethistina)

phylax is A guard in ancient Rome, and also the name of this controversial art statue

Lord Golobulos is just my vision of what position golob would ascend to.

TanCada is tank + cicada. just what started calling it from the get go because it looked like the little cicada shells.

various drones just named after what they looked like.

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])