Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vietnam LRRP Team
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:18 am 

In 2017 I posted a custom of Tommy Arashikage as a member of the Vietnam LRRP unit with Stalker, Snake Eyes, Wade Collins, Dickie Saperstein and Ramon Escobedo.

http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/custo ... e&id=17563

I was finally able to complete the other figures in the unit, posted below.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Lonzo Wilkinson
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:18 am 

Stalker
Long-Range Recon Patrol

In Vietnam, Stalker, Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes all served in the same Long-Range Recon Patrol (LRRP) unit. The other members of the team were Dickie Saperstein, Ramon Escobedo and Wade Collins, all three of which apparently died in a firefight. The surviving members later found out (in comic issue #42) that Collins had actually survived, and become a Cobra Crimson Guardsman. Some of Larry Hama's finest GI Joe storytelling to be sure.

Since I've already done several Stalkers, I wanted to try using some different parts - specifically, avoiding the use of an actual Stalker head. Since a green beret was needed, Falcon's head was the top candidate, and since other Falcon parts were used for other figures in the LRRP unit, I had one available. Other than that, it's a pretty standard Vietnam-era military look, based on the character's appearance in uissue #26 of the Marvel run.

Head, torso, waist – Falcon
Arms, legs – Lonzo R. Wilkinson

Rifle – Frostbite (modified) with suppressor from Marauder Inc.
Backpack - Recondo

Post subject: Snake Eyes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:19 am 

Snake Eyes
Long-Range Recon Patrol

In Vietnam, Stalker, Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes all served in the same Long-Range Recon Patrol (LRRP) unit. The other members of the team were Dickie Saperstein, Ramon Escobedo and Wade Collins, all three of which apparently died in a firefight. The surviving members later found out (in comic issue #42) that Collins had actually survived, and become a Cobra Crimson Guardsman. Some of Larry Hama's finest GI Joe storytelling to be sure.

The execution of the CLASSIFIED comic pack figure that Hasbro did in 2006 is good in principle, but I wanted to produce my own version. The main concept was to keep the boonie hat pulled down over the figure's eyes to maintain a sense of mystery. It's made of a Barricade head, shaved down some to allow a Marauder Inc. boonie hat to be glued to it. The rest of the figure is a pretty straightforward Vietnam-looking getup. It's based on his appearance in issue #26.

Head – Barricade (modified with boonie hat from Marauder Inc.)
Arms, legs – Falcon
Torso, waist – Tunnel Rat

Machine gun – Made from parts of Rock 'n Roll machine gun (reproduction) and Marauder Inc. M60E3
Backpack – Recondo (accessory pack version)

Post subject: Wade Collins
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 am 

Wade Collins
Long-Range Recon Patrol

To make a relatively unique head for Wade Collins, I just shaved the moustache off of Footloose. In the book, Collins' main weapon in issue #43 is a suppressed Carl Gustav m/45 submachine gun (“Swedish K”), so that's what he's armed with here.

Head – Footloose (modified)
Arms - Falcon
Torso – Leatherneck
Waist, legs – Roadblock v2

Cap – Marauder Inc.
Submachine gun – Firefly v17
Rifle – Comic pack Grunt

Last edited by Kwinn_Lives on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Dickie Saperstein
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 am 

Dickie Saperstein
Long-Range Recon Patrol

Dickie's head is made from Pathfinder, with the hat removed and rotated 90 degrees to match the comic appearance in issue #43.

Head – Pathfinder (modified)
Arms – Falcon
Torso – Ambush
Waist, legs – Law (waist modified)

Rifle – Comic pack Grunt
Grenade launcher – Gung-Ho (accessory pack version)
Backpack – Leatherneck

Post subject: Ramon Escobedo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:21 am 

Ramon Escobedo
Long-Range Recon Patrol

To match his appearance in issue #43, Ramon's head is made from a base of Zap v2 with Tunnel Rat's bandana added. If Ramon needs a codename, it looks like El Diablo would be appropriate, since that's the tattoo he has on his right bicep.

Head – Zap v2 w/ bandana from Tunnel Rat
Arms – Law
Torso, waist – Red Dog
Legs – Chuckles

Backpack – Recoil
Rifle – Comic pack Grunt

Post subject: Re: Vietnam LRRP Team
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:37 am 

I really like these! you are at your best with the comic inspired sets! really awesome mods to make all the classic parts look brand new!

I love the real weapons and gear!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:54 pm 

A parade of perfect parts and paints!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:57 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
you are at your best with the comic inspired sets!

Thanks for saying this. One big reason I got into customizing in the first place was that the comics were so important to me growing up, and I wanted to be able to create characters from that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:18 pm 

I love the detail you put into getting the head gear just right. Splicing the Tunnel Rat bandanna on Zap and rotating the Pathfinder hat, really nice attention to detail and not settling for "close enough". If you ever wanted to try custom carding, these would make a great set of three packs in the 2000 era comic packs style.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:51 pm 

DanOfTheDead wrote:
I love the detail you put into getting the head gear just right. Splicing the Tunnel Rat bandanna on Zap and rotating the Pathfinder hat, really nice attention to detail and not settling for "close enough". If you ever wanted to try custom carding, these would make a great set of three packs in the 2000 era comic packs style.

Thanks, that's the main reason it took so long to get this set done - I did Storm Shadow a couple of years ago. But it wasn't until recently that I thought my skills had improved enough to take on the mods I wanted to do here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:23 pm 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

I'm really enthousiastic about Dickie and Ramon, they would've been among my favorite figures if they were for sale back in the day. Lil' Tim wants to play with them!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])