Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: HissHissFangFang Customs: Introduction/Overview
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:34 am 

Hi guys!

I’ve been a viewer of this site since 2009, officially registered as a member this March 2019, and am only now starting to get my custom photos uploaded to this site.

I’ve been customizing Modern//25th figures since the 2009, when first introduced to it all at JoeCon 2009 here in my hometown of KC. Started posting photos of my customs (on another Joe site) in 2017, but more in the framework of different subsets within my display shelf collection, and purely in forum thread format, using URL hot linking photos of figures in groups or 3 to 16 (rather than individual photos of individual figures).

Over the past year, I’ve started taking more individual photos and studying the format of this site and feel I’m ready to go and get started here. For the forums, I’ll likely have a few different threads started for each group/set breakout—threads will be mostly for questions, but I don’t mind some suggestions (and definitely don’t mind positive comments).

All work is purely for my own collection (no commission work). A majority are done to improve original 25th releases, defaulting to look of the vintage figures (of which my own collection is relatively small), then to the “modern” classic releases, then to best or favorite parts/accessories IMO. Also, I’m very keen on having figures of an intended set being able to stand side by side on display, so colors, build and height relative to figure sets/groups is a major design factor in my figures.

Finally, I want my figures (and photos) to look and feel Hasbro produced—so very little drybrushing or wash is done (on purpose), and typically finishes are Satin Varnish (ala Vallejo). I give credit to Oreobuilder’s stuff for establishing that direction (and to a simple neutral background to highlight the figure, its paints, and colors). One of the major downsides of this design direction is that, for the non-fan or casual fan, my figures don’t really impress—they just seem to blend in with the direct releases.

I’ll start populating the database and forum threads with photos of singles already taken over the past two years, while taking new photos of singles each weekend to built up an inventory to upload here almost daily for the next few months. So advanced apologies if you all get HHFF overload here in this time period.

Also, I tend to be a bit wordy at times. I like hearing hows and whys about other people's customs, so I tend to go in that direction for own. For this site, the forum threads will wax on about the subgroup, while the indvidual build notes will stay with the database.

Photos up to now are also available on Flickr, but all the newer individual figure photos for this site likely won’t be stored there (when I hit my freebie limit).

Thanks all!

PhotoGrid_1522730220155 by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

PhotoGrid_1522731019686 by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

GiJoe_O13-7AllFigures0_2018-0421b by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

2019-09-17_11-30-15 by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: HissHissFangFang Customs: Introduction/Overview
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:57 am 

let me be first to say welcome! always glad to see new posters, and what a post! I opened all your pics in new windows, but flicker won't zoom in enough for full quality. what I can see hits all your desired points, and then some! I especially like the old figures behind your updated figures. really inspiring. even though i'm at the other end of the spectrum in style and purpose mostly making non joe customs, it takes all kinds here at JC :)

keep them coming!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:47 pm 
Plug
Plug

Overload? I am ready and willing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:04 pm 

I’ve been a follower of your work over on Hisstank for a while now (I don’t have an account, just lurking). Glad to see you bring your stuff over here. I definitely will have questions once you get thing going.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:31 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
let me be first to say welcome! always glad to see new posters, and what a post! I opened all your pics in new windows, but flicker won't zoom in enough for full quality. what I can see hits all your desired points, and then some! I especially like the old figures behind your updated figures. really inspiring. even though i'm at the other end of the spectrum in style and purpose mostly making non joe customs, it takes all kinds here at JC :)

keep them coming!
I didn't envision including pictures in that first post, but also didn't forsee writing that much either. I figured these composites I did would make a nice intro teaser to balance out the text. Larger hi res of each group will be embedded and linked once I get the subgroup threads going and get the balls rolling.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:33 pm 

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
I’ve been a follower of your work over on Hisstank for a while now (I don’t have an account, just lurking). Glad to see you bring your stuff over here. I definitely will have questions once you get thing going.
Cool. Don't be a stranger...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:05 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

There's a lot to unpack here, but your clever name alone gets my attention

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:05 pm 

Too many great figures here. It's slightly overwhelming. Awesome work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:24 pm 

Amazing work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])