Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Desert Rolling Thunder
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 pm 

Took a stab at vech customs finally. I based this off the desert customs that I got from Zombieguide, you can check them out in my customs not for sale folder if you havent seen them yet. Anyway any comments good or bad are welcome.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m293 ... m%20vechs/

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Desert Rolling Thunder
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:00 pm 
Larry's Rent Boy
Larry's Rent Boy

Well first off kudos for you for taking on such a challenge. I was a little dissapointed in the white and brown 2-tone, it may be the photos - I'd assume what appears white is really tan. Perhaps two closer shades of brown and tan would look better - or a fade from one to the other at each transition point.

On a bright spot it appears you did a very clean job on painting it. I cringe when people who don't paint well glob paint on expensive vehicles, but your paint application technique looks great!

-David

1984 Machine Gun Defense Unit Box
    1985 Air Defense Box
    1985 Cobra Rifle Range Box

Birkenstocks 50% Off! http://shop.ebay.com/youx30/m.html?_nkw ... m=&_ipg=25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:08 pm 

Yeah I have got a few comments on the tan looking white. I'll try and take new pics to show the true colors better. Actually this vech was pretty easy to paint, pretty much every piece comes apart. I just just tan and dark brown krylon camo spray paint. I got to do some touch ups and add some detail to it. Also I know it needs some stickers. When I update the pics I'll add some of the fig's with it. I got it at a local toy shop for $30, so it was worth the risk trying to do the paint on it. The krylon comes out really good if you dont cake it on there and drys real clean.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:59 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Awesome work there, I can't wait to see it witht he decals and the custom desert crew you've made!
I could also see it manned by a couple of MOTH Desert Theatre figs and tan-coloured Desert Scorpions.

I looked through your "Customs not for sale" and I gotta say it again, I'm REALLY crazy about that desert Skidmark and the arctic Viper. Every week I see customs on this site which have something I'm gonna borrow for my own customs, but those two I will surely try to copy exactly the way you made them. They're perfect!

Tim 121RVC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:38 am 
Formerly JFAK075

That's a really neat idea. If you could add some camo to it, I think it would pull the two colors together better.

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:31 am 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Looks really solid...but it needs a punch of color....maybe the missiles done in an orange similar to the Desert Fox's missiles....and figures...they'll add a bit more color to the mix.

I think you also need to black out the Windshields....They're too clear....they need a good tint job. Couple ways to do that...dye them with some RIT dye...though it may look more purple than black. just paint them with a Gloss black. Or I think Krylon made a transparent Smoke or black spray paint

So couple of changes, and then you'll be ready to add Stickers and figures.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:38 am 
Plays a cop
Plays a cop

nova wrote:
Looks really solid...but it needs a punch of color....maybe the missiles done in an orange similar to the Desert Fox's missiles....and figures...they'll add a bit more color to the mix.

I think you also need to black out the Windshields....They're too clear....they need a good tint job. Couple ways to do that...dye them with some RIT dye...though it may look more purple than black. just paint them with a Gloss black. Or I think Krylon made a transparent Smoke or black spray paint

if he sprayed the windows from the inside, it may work well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:50 pm 

JFAK075 wrote:
That's a really neat idea. If you could add some camo to it, I think it would pull the two colors together better.

I agree camo would do the trick.

In the One verse, there is One world, one enemy, One hope,......ONEFORCE!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:31 pm 

Interesting. I wonder what it'd look like with the Desert Patrol and the 92 or 93 Duke (and a real Dusty of course) manning it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:38 pm 

I agree that the overall appearance might look a little nicer if the dark brown and light tan were shifted to light brown and dark tan, but I have a feeling some of that is just the photographs.

This is a very nice look for the RT. Normally I prefer solid colors on large vehicles, but "chunking" the colors does a great job in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:36 pm 

nova wrote:

Tamiya makes clear paint in a large assortment of colors.

http://kullaird.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:55 am 
Donor
Donor

Thats BA Bill. Now put those desert Joe customs in it. That would make it even more BA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:44 pm 
Plug
Plug

JFAK075 wrote:
I agree with this assessment. It looks like you have a good start but it isn't quite there yet.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])