Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Destro doesn't get scared
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:12 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Hey all.

On this creepiest day of the year, I just wanted to share a custom I made in honor of my favorite Joe alternaverse ever conceived - JFAK's End of Days.

There was a contest over on another site today where some fantastic similarly themed customs were shown (and possibly the most perfect Outback rendition I've ever seen by DavAnthony), and this was my humble entry.

You may want to read the bio to understand the new look.

When the streets of Glasgow were over run by the living dead, Lord James MacCullen Destro felt it was his duty to aid in the defense of his homeland. From the safety of Castle Destro, the lord dispatched a platoon of his finest Iron Grenadiers to assist the regular military in their efforts to restore order. They were incredibly effective, elimnating all known zombies with minimal losses. Of the 20 men who set out that day, 14 returned alive. A fifteenth was dead, but didn't yet know it.

By 22:00, Destro, his personal physician and fourteen surviving members of Destro's elite guard had barricaded themselves in a secure communications tower as the undead moaned and mewled in the halls and courtyard outside.

Knowing that the local military would be too busy to reciprocate for his earlier efforts on their behalf, Destro put out a call for help to Cobra. The Commander's response was to fly a transport full of B.A.T.s over Castle Destro and have the crew kick the androids out the cargo doors at low altitude into the now zombie-infested courtyard.

Ever a daring tactician, Destro took advantage of the distraction his noisy yet largely ineffective reinforcements provided. He and his men armed themselves and charged into the courtyard. At first it seemed the gamble might pay off, but Destro had not counted on the undead possessing a sensory hierarchy. Apparently the smell of fresh meat was far more interesting to them than the metallic mayhem of their B.A.T. attackers.

As his men died around him, Destro fought like a man possessed. His guns emptied, he was soon overtaken by a group of the undead while attempting a retreat. More than a dozen gaping maws with soulless eyes stood between him and the door to the personal vault where his family's most prized treasures lay. Glancing around, he knew that the few B.A.T.s with enough remaining functionality to crawl in his direction would not arrive in time. As one of the undead began to bite down on his right arm, Destro triggered his last remaining wrist missile. The blast incinerated more than half of his ghoulish attackers...as well as most of his arm and legs.

Ignoring the agonizing pain, Destro began to drag himself across the blood soaked grass. When his physician approached him, bleeding from what appeared to be a bite on his neck, the Lord of Castle Destro prepared to meet his end. But the physician flagged down a mostly functioning B.A.T. and instructed it to carry Destro inside the vault.

It was there, surrounded by arms and armament from across the centuries, that Destro understood what needed to be done. His physician had been bitten. His time was short. But Destro needed the man's medical expertise and manual dexterity to help preserve his own life. And, knowing he was doomed, in return the physician asked only that, when he began to change into one of the undead, Destro would spare him that fate.

Using parts from the B.A.T., pieces of ancient armor and implements of destruction ranging from the iron age to the atomic age, Destro and the doctor constructed new limbs of massive strength to replace those the lord had lost. They also gave him the means to inflict massive, immediate damage upon the undead. Destro's first test of these enhancements came when he was forced to decapitate the doctor within moments of the man's eyes glazing over.

Literally rearmed, Lord Destro made short work of the remaining zombies in the courtyard. And, soon after, he set out to try and find other survivors...holding out hope that his beloved Baroness would be among them.

Attachment:
EODestro.jpg
EODestro.jpg [ 110.31 KiB | Viewed 1856 times ]
Attachment:
EODestro1.jpg
EODestro1.jpg [ 99.47 KiB | Viewed 1852 times ]
Attachment:
EODestro2.jpg
EODestro2.jpg [ 122.94 KiB | Viewed 1849 times ]
Attachment:
EODestro3.jpg
EODestro3.jpg [ 112.19 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]
Attachment:
EODestro4.jpg
EODestro4.jpg [ 131.9 KiB | Viewed 1846 times ]

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Destro doesn't get scared
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:16 pm 
Snake Staked

Unbelieveable! I was looking at this last night wondering how you managed to marry the SHS and 25th parts so perfectly. Care to show us how you did that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:28 pm 
Formerly JFAK075

How does he do it??
. . .'Cause he's the Spin Doctor!

Here a c/p from the contest . . .

#22: Destro
I really dig the story and the direction this figure went. When things go bad leave it to Destro to go even badder!

Thanks for being a part, my friend!

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:45 pm 

Pretty damn cool, i like your version of EoD Destro, nothing to crit, awesome work.

I like her and your idea of adding the 3rd shade in her pants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:28 pm 
Mr. Patience

This one was in my top ten.
Very cool blend of parts and the back story is great.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:31 pm 

This one was in my top 5. Great job!

Some of my favorite people are action figures.

Out of date but still: http://not-your-average-joe.embarqspace.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:54 pm 

That is excellent work and quite creative.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:46 pm 

Very nice.I like the attention to detail you put into the pack.Great work man.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:52 am 
Thomas from Missourri

Thanks for the kind words, all.

This custom never would've happened if JFAK hadn't done his little Dead End dio what seems like way too long ago. I had that mood, that atmosphere occupying my mind as I tried to put myself in Destro's boots and ask "What would I do, if I had to, to survive?"

So thanks, especially, to you, J, for providing the inspiration and then inviting me to participate.

Now, pre a couple of requests, the recipe...

I tried to keep it very simple. Destro would've been wearing his everyday attire when the outbreak occurred, so I didn't want to deviate too much from his classic look for the base figure.

The SHS Doom parts needed some adapting. Specifically the knee joints needed a bit of shaving to fit in the destro thigh recesses. Destro's left thigh had to be shaved down and smoothed to give it a metallic appearance, as well.

The doom arm required an adapter to fit on the Destro shoulder stump after I cut his arm off. I created a bridge piece from some of the plastic I cut away from the original arm and shaped a peg at the bottom of it to fit into the Doom arm hole. Then I glued the bridge to both sides of the remaining shoulder ball (making sure not to get any glue on the swivel joint inside). It was pretty painstaking work.

Once the arm fit, I went to work adapting the various weapons to fit on the forearm. I wanted a range of armament options, and the new "wrist rocket" was the last bit to fall into place.

The blue power cables were an afterthought. I figured Destro wouldn't have had time, opportunity or inclination under the circumstances to disguise or even protect the energy conduits for his new prostheses, nor would they necessarily look pretty by the time he left the vault.

Really, I see this as Destro's Iron Man story. It's where he learns what he's really got going for him and what he'd do -- what he's willing to sacrifice -- to protect it.

If I were writing the character on an ongoing basis, I'd probably play up the irony of his willingness to sacrifice so much of what makes him human to preserve his very humanity.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:03 am 
Formerly JFAK075

You know there was one thing I forgot to mention: when you fist said you were going to be in on making an EoD custom, I thought for sure we were going to see Major Bludd. He's on my hit list, but haven't figured the right look for him yet.

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:23 am 
Thomas from Missourri

JFAK075 wrote:
I thought for sure we were going to see Major Bludd. He's on my hit list, but haven't figured the right look for him yet.

I actually started one, but realized very quickly that I wouldn't have the time to get the parts I wanted to do him the way I intended, so I shelved it and switched to Destro.

I may finish EOD Bludd up in the near future.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:56 am 
Rooty tooty point & shooty

Absolutely awesome, Spin... I know I don't critique many customs, but this one just hit me. I really love where you're going with it. This is exactly how I see Destro in some ways (especially in the Sigma 6 universe). If anyone read my own Sigma 6 mini dio-story, they know I kind of envision Destro has someone who would risk himself or sacrifice his "humanity" to make himself stronger and more powerful, and that was captured in an awesome way here.

It's kind of the same way I'm already envisioning the Resolute version of the character even though we haven't seen much about him yet.

Anyway... awesome work. Love the different weapons, love the mixture of parts, this is an instant classic, man.

Justin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:04 pm 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Cool, that's like Trap Jaw from He-Man!

Tim 121RVC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:47 pm 

All he needs is a chainsaw hand :shifty:

looks really cool!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:52 pm 

SO F*N AWESOME!!!

That's the only thought I have after reading the bio and seeing the pictures.

Great job.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])