Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Color-shifting pearl paint
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 pm 

That is the perfect paint for Zartan. Great work

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Color-shifting pearl paint
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:34 pm 

I used that kind of paint on one of my Mandalorian costumes. It is really eye-catching in 1/1 scale and it looks just as good in 1/18 scale. Like pluv said, Zartan is the perfect figure to use this on.

Post subject: Re: Duke (Airborne Ranger)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:18 am 

This was something I was never fully satisfied with until now. I always wanted this Duke figure because I liked the modern military tactical-vest-over-a-combat-shirt-look. Except the figure didn't have a military tactical vest. It had a SWAT chest rig over a plate carrier. I tried a bunch of different vests, mostly from Joy Toy but not of them gave the right feel.

I tried to keep the original concept though, and painted the front rifle mag pouches tan with black webbing over an olive drab plate carrier. The vest was made from rubber so I had to airbrush VERY lightly since a wet coat would just peel off. As an additional advantage, the light dry coat gave off a gritty, worn feel, like the old BBI and 21st Century toys.

These days I like giving my Joes a "Tacticool" PMC (airsofter?) look which is essentially a tac vest with front pouches over civvies, except for Duke who is still your quintessential STRAC Airborne Ranger.

- JM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:24 am 

Very nice work

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:05 am 

i always like seeing your take on joe characters. your pics are so realistic and really showcase your work.

Post subject: Re: Duke (Airborne Ranger) & Shipwreck (SEAL Team 3)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 am 

Just like Duke, the 50th Anniversary Shipwreck was another one of those figures I wanted because of its modern "tacticool" look: a tac vest over a US Navy shirt and unbloused trousers. But just like Duke, it came with that SWAT vest/chest rig piece that only ever worked with the Cobra Shock Troopers. Also, the 50th Anniversary figures (just like every other toyline at the time) were becoming ridiculously overpriced and I never got around to buying Shipwreck.

A few months ago, I came across the perfect vest and belt for the 50th Shipwreck body, complete with SEAL Team 3 "Punisher" patches and even fast-rope gloves! But I still had no 50th Shipwreck. So for several months, this plate carrier and belt were placed over my existing DG Shipwreck figure. Just today I came across a loose 50th Shipwreck body and finally completed this custom.

The holster is sitting loosely over the existing holster as I don't want to permanently attach it to the figure's thigh right now.

- JM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:47 pm 

very cool gear. i'd say maybe swap his legs if the holster won't just boil/pop off.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 pm 

Nice work

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:25 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Awesome looking gear on Shipwreck!

Post subject: Re: Retro Scarlett fix
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:49 pm 

The artwork for SDCC Joe vs TF shows that Scarlett was supposed to come with yellow webgear with pouches (from the Cobra Officer). But somewhere along the way, the included webgear was the black one from the Cobra Trooper. And since Retro Scarlett was packed with the same gear, it only makes sense that the Retro figure should also have the webgear with pouches. Except, the Officer webgear is oversized for a female figure and is outdated. So I got a modern chest rig specifically for a female figure and gave it to Retro Scarlett.

The usual touch ups were also done (eyebrows, thigh pouch, elevating the head on the neck).

Initially I had the figure outfitted with a plate carrier and bought the chest rig for Lady Jaye but trying it on Scarlett made me realize it’s a much better fit for Scarlett and her role on the team.

Full album linked here.

- JM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:08 pm 

she looks great!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:29 am 

The pouches added to Scarlett upgrade the traditional uniform, but stays within its design aesthetic. Perfectly done.

Post subject: Re: Retro Scarlett and 50th Heavy Duty fix
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:08 am 

Some simple tweaks for 50th Heavy Duty:

As usual, the head had to be elevated on the neck. The eyebrows and beard were painted black since the dark brown was almost invisible on the dark skin. The do-rag was painted lime green to keep the color pallette of the original.

I then airbrushed a faded US Woodland camo pattern on the trousers while still retaining the overall color scheme. Never liked the geometric dazzle camo of the old figure.

Finally, I tried on a few vests but may settle on the chest rig to simulate the original chest holster.

Full album linked here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:33 am 

really really nice! i have 2 wips going right now using this base. i really am looking hard at your camo as i'm building out the pred. rescue team and there is distressed og camo on everyone. yours is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:04 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
really really nice! i have 2 wips going right now using this base. i really am looking hard at your camo as i'm building out the pred. rescue team and there is distressed og camo on everyone. yours is perfect.

I suggest investing in an airbrush. Even a cheap portable airbrush with air pump used for decorating cakes and nail art will do the job nicely.

- JM

Last edited by chrysophylax on Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])