Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Not everyone can become a Pirate...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:09 am 
Snake Staked

This is still WIP status, but is finished enough to show off.

Kyrin, the Pirate leader from the MMO MapleStory, in 1:6 scale. The coat is pending, whenever the person doing the sewing can get to it next week. I only got the top and sleeves the past few days, and there were a lot of pieces in this I could not buy pre-made. It's a ZC Girl body with a Cy Girls head, and the boots, skirt and belt were eBay stock items. It has a Phicen gun grip hand and a generic pirate matchlock pistol I got cheap. The hat is a Napoleon bicorne hat, which isn't 100% the same as the art but was the closest I could get, and is perhaps the only one made. It was modified with the notch cut into it, gold trim paint and a thin vinyl decal someone was able to custom cut for me, all sealed with Decoart Duraclear varnish.

The top is two pieces... a white stretchy hair band, plus red cups made of silk cut from a women's shirt I found at a thrift store, with chain running between them. It doesn't look tight but it is, pulled as tight as I could get it without damaging anything. The red halves are attached in the back with Velcro. The bandana is actually the same material, more like a scarf that was folded in half, wrapped around and pinned to the head. The head is a horrid mess of foam pads and metal pins underneath the hat. A bit of gold chain, a watch and small anchor hang from it. Getting an anchor that tiny was almost impossible, until I found the arrows from an old Xena figure. The earrings are actual earrings, small faux pearl ones that came with the gold chain I bought. I popped out the cheapo plastic Cy Girls earrings and then shoved these into the ear openings, pinning them into the head. For good measure, I took a bit of thin gold string and tied it to the neck to act as a concealer for the neck joint.

The sleeves... well, I thought I was never going to find red & white striped fabric anywhere since it is apparently only stocked around the holidays, and all my searches turned up nothing... until I found a red & white striped shirt in the children's section of the local thrift store. The sleeves are sewn as tubes, which makes them look bulky at the wrists, with elastic in the wrist and shoulder cuffs. I found I could keep them in place by wedging them into the space between the arm and body. It was determined that trying to attach them to the coat would be quite difficult, as I'm having a stock coat altered. I also had to work with the sewing person for almost 2 hours trying to figure out how to make these sleeves. Ultimately, they were sewn as tubes with the cuffs not stitched closed, and the elastic pulled tight when they were stitched. Turning these inside out after sewing proved rather hard.

This is probably going to be a display piece. The skirt all but hinders leg movement and the boots aren't the most stable as they're really made for Triad figures and I have the ankles padded severely just to fill them out. I have it held by a Kaiser doll stand. which BTW, to use a Kaiser stand with the Cy Girls/ZC Girl bodies requires bending the ring to fit the waist. They do not make a stand that fits those bodies normally due to the odd size of the waist, and the standard Ken/G.I. Joe stand is too large.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Not everyone can become a Pirate...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:11 am 
Snake Staked

Next to Baroness. Kyrin is a good deal taller.

Next to Caleb, the "hero" of the game Blood

Post subject: Re: Not everyone can become a Pirate...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:02 am 
Snake Staked

A change of plans on the coat... rather than trying to alter a 1:6 scale brown coat(which is made for a male body and would require hideous alterations to slim it down), I'm making what is basically a bigger version of Dr. Mindbender's black cape. It will be a big rounded cloak with holes for the arms to fit and white trim plus collar. Of course, I'll have to buy some brown material but this means a lot less work for the person doing the sewing work, and I get a coat that's much longer. I also need to work on the shape some, to slim it down around the shoulders and make the collar edge.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])