Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:31 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gung Ho
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 am 

I do not own one figure of Gung Ho. None of them made me go 'hey I need that'. He's not bulky enough in any of his forms. I've been trying to think of what my next project would be and I thought I should add him to my collection in one form or another.

I like the bulkiness that comes with the POC Recondo body. That, and his head IS Gung Ho and not Recondo in the least. For legs, I wanted something that would fit his body frame. Eventually I landed on POC Destro legs. They're big, give him a bit more height, and have nice big boots. I went through almost ten different styles of web gear/vests before I just went with the POC Recondo vest. I modded it a bit and added the shoulder knife. He needs a lot of paint

I got the Gung Ho head from Medd today in the mail so I went to work getting the had to fit the Recondo head. Not an easy feat. The ROC Gung Ho head is in three pieces. The hat, a part in the hat, and the bottom of the head. I was dremeling the inside out of the hat and my dremel died. I had to let it recharge before I could get anymore done...although I got a lot out with my exacto.

It fits ok, but I think I need to take a bit more out of the center, front and rear of the hat.

This is the finished SAW machine gun as well.

I'm basing it off of this gun used in Resolute by Gung Ho.

Like I said, the hat needs a bit more work, but you can see him starting to come together more and more.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Gung Ho
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 am 
General Pittance Contributor

you gonna give him the Resolute-type color scheme too? I think that'd look nice here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07 am 

I am considering that, yes. I may give him some of the vintage style paint as well...I'm still not 100% sure though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 am 
Donor
Donor

Looking good so far. I'd try to remove the darts on his forearm, if you're comfortable doing that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 am 

darthdre758 wrote:
I am considering that, yes. I may give him some of the vintage style paint as well...I'm still not 100% sure though.

powder blue with a tint of turquoise? :-)

just don't go with the 93 Battle Corps color scheme (maroon shirt and turd colored trousers) or any hint of neon MM yellow :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:41 am 

Crosshair wrote:
Looking good so far. I'd try to remove the darts on his forearm, if you're comfortable doing that.

I plan on giving him different forearms completely.

As for the color scheme...I'm picturing a grey color with green and tan camo applied.

Thought?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 pm 

he needs to lose the forearms and the recondo vest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm 

How about RoC Lt. Stone forearms?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 am 
Thomas from Missourri

The Stone arms won't color match, I'm pretty sure.

Your best bet might be the new Duke arms or possibly the ones from the Greatest Battles DVD pack. A little more yellow to the flesh tone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:02 am 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

i'm sure i'm in the minority here, but since my introduction to gung-ho was gijoe #11 ... he needs to be bare-chested...

but that's just me...

the head + hat are coming along great!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:24 am 

Spin Doctor wrote:
The Stone arms won't color match, I'm pretty sure.

Your best bet might be the new Duke arms or possibly the ones from the Greatest Battles DVD pack. A little more yellow to the flesh tone.

Funny you guys should mention Stone...that's what I'm waiting on for arms. Hah. I know the color might be off, but I'm not against painting them. I don't want to use the new Duke arms as they're too skinny for what I'm trying to accomplish here. I don't want him to be as big as say Roadblock, but I want him to be imposing, as I always saw him as someone that wasn't opposed to using brute force when needed.

joemichaels70 wrote:
i'm sure i'm in the minority here, but since my introduction to gung-ho was gijoe #11 ... he needs to be bare-chested...

but that's just me...

the head + hat are coming along great!

Heh. I thought about going bare chested...but my aim on this small series of figures is to make them a bit more realistic, while keeping true to their previous figure incarnations.

The Stone I ordered, I didn't realize it was coming from China. ugh. At least it was cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:16 pm 
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN

The arms from the TRU 5-pack Footloose are the same as Stone's, but should be much closer in color to Recondo's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 am 

So, here he is, the Ragin' Cajun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:44 am 

I like it! That headsculpt looks a lot more like Gung-Ho than Recondo, so your use of the figure makes more sense than what Hasbro did (in calling him Recondo!).

-Todd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:53 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I like the parts selection (used Recondo's head for my GH update also). Hat looks good, nice job making the vest look more GH also, which was a risk in having him match too closely with the POC production version of Recondo, in using too many of those parts.

There is an issue, as predicted above, with the skin tones not being a perfect match. The question I have is about the shirt though - is it supposed to be a solid black? or is there a brown camo pattern painted in there? If it's solid black, I could see an issue, in that some brown shirt parts poke through under the vest, and the inside of the arms show some brown as well. Just not sure if that is paint chipping, or if it's an intended pattern, which is hard to tell with the vest on.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:31 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])