Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:14 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: GI Joe: Rebooted (Chief-style)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:28 am 

Ok, so I mentioned yesterday that I've been looking to recharge my interest in Joes. For a couple of years now, I've just been getting bored with the whole mythos. Being fed up and bored with the military in general (20 years in the Army will do that to ya ;) ) combined with the seemingly CONSTANT barrage of fanboy [LASER BLAST] about comics and cartoons has really turned me off from the whole thing. That's probably the reason why I dove into my Adventure Team customs as I did - no military connection, and a pretty much clean slate where I could launch my own little universe.

But I do still have a fondness for certain "named" characters from GI Joe - so I went about rebooting my Joe-verse to better suit my current state of mind. Decided to try and keep my team small - around a dozen or so (kind of like the original team), and while I wasn't going to try and root them in reality, I at least wanted some of the core concepts to be plausible, so I re-vamped the whole idea.

My Joes - who aren't even called GI Joe, BTW - I still need to come up with a name - I was thinking something like "EXCAL" or whatever, but that sounded kinda lame.... :P . Anyway, my Joes are all former Military - most from Special Ops. They now serve in a special capacity in one of the hidden sub-directorates of the Department of Homeland Security. One of my biggest problem with GI Joe - especially once I joined the Army, was the fact that they were operating illegally by fighting terrorists on US soil. As a 10-yr old (or as an adult who unaware of the laws in question), that isn't an issue - but to me it's just as ridiculous as a dude that can change colors in the sunlight or a world where everybody and their brother is a Ninja or can fly a Space Shuttle. So putting them as DHS agents added a bit more plausibility for me.

I guess I should say that I wanted to view Cobra more as a domestic terrorist organization than a world-wide "conquer the planet" group with their own island. The way Cobra was portrayed in "Reloaded" (at least, early in the series) is pretty close to how I saw it. No clones, no bio-engineered creatures -- just a Montana Militia-type organization with some high-tech gear.

So my team had to be a small strike force capable of operation on American soil and designed for small surgical strikes and whatnot - not a force of 500 with an 80-story below-ground complex and an aircraft carrier, etc.... These are agents, not soldiers - so there are no ranks, no real chain-of-command (Hawk is the leader and the rest are operators), and while each team member brings something unique to the table, there aren't any real "specialties" - they're all highly-skilled operators that can do just about anything.

So anyway, enough rambling - onto the Joes!

Hawk - retired Special Forces Lt Colonel - turned down promotion in favor of starting this new team.

Thought about doing the brown jacket/camo pants thing, but since these guys aren't military, they don't really need camo unless they're in the bush. More of a ROC feel (especially with the Quaid head), but he's basically comic Hawk from the early years.

Flint - retired Special Forces Warrant Officer - served on an A-Team with Hawk for several years, the first "recruit" for Hawk's new team. Probably the only non-recognizable member of the team. I hate berets, and shotguns are stupid weapons unless you're fighting zombies or flocks of birds. Wanted somebody that could blend in with civilians as needed. This actually started as a Splinter Cell Conviction Sam Fisher custom, but I decided to use it for Flint instead so I wouldn't have to mod the figure (rolled up sleeves, etc.) -- Then of course drbindy had to point out that he looks like Renegades Flint (I made this custom before I started watching the show) - but that certainly wasn't my intention with this at all.

Stalker - former Special Forces Instructor - also served with Hawk & Flint. First-hand knowledge of inner-city street crime & gangland warfare. I decided on keeping the stupid-ass beret for a couple of reasons. First - I couldn't find a hat-less head that looked right to me. And second, I actually don't have a problem with a former Green Beret wearing it when they're "stalking" about - what always pissed me off was that he wore it in the field (and they always used the wrong color for everyone.) - So in Lonzo's case it's more of a pride and fashion statement thing.

Snake Eyes - most of his origin stays intact - just updated and trimmed down a little bit. Don't know if I'll have a Storm Shadow in this 'verse or not - I don't think it's really necessary at this point. SE's just a badass commando with some ninja abilities - he doesn't need an eternal nemesis. Went with the visor instead of the v1 mask simply because I thought it looked a little more like SE.

Scarlett - former intelligence analyst for the Army & field agent for the CIA. This is actually the ROC custom I made a year or two ago.

Torpedo - Retired Navy CWO/SEAL -- he was a character that was always underused, IMO - his filecard made him almost as bad as Snake-Eyes, yet he was almost always shown fighting in flippers (even on land). Took my old Sam Fisher custom and gave him a quick paint job and an Airborne head.

Beach-Head -- former Ranger School Instructor. Another favorite. The few times I watched the old cartoon, he always came off as a douche (also very douche-like in the DDP comic), but he was great in the Marvel comic and awesome in the Reloaded series, so that's how I'm portraying him. Simple custom - just repainted the POC version and gave him some less-restrictive gear so you could see the green on his outfit.

Roadblock -- Almost didn't bother with him - because the "big black guy" stereotype is pretty played out. But I still, like the character (in his comic incarnations, anyway), and figured I needed somebody to be the heavy lifter for the team.

Mayday - the one DDP character that I really wish had her own figure. She was plenty bad-ass in the comics as a greenshirt trainee, and then once she made the team we saw her what, twice?

Since they're not customs - I'll just include the final two in the group shot:
Helix - I like having a chick Snake-Eyes who's also a mental case. Figure she's also SE's protege'- and he's the only one who really "gets" her.
Low-light - another childhood favorite. Couldn't wait to get the PoC version and it did not disappoint.

About Duke: I actually had a Duke figure made for this team. Then I thought more about it - I used to really like Duke, and as he was portrayed early in the comics (especially in Marvel #24), I thought he was perfect. The 'toon, the movie, and the subsequent over-saturation really killed it for me, but I still have a fondness for the crusty-old 1SG from the early comics. But that's the problem - this is a team of a dozen people - all senior, seasoned individuals. There's no need for a Duke-styled character - there's no role for him to fill. Duke serves best when leading a company of military folks, not being just another ass-kicker on a team of ass-kickers. So Duke, if he is going to exist in my Joe-verse, is just gonna remain with the Military version of GI Joe with the rest of the guys (Grunt, Zap, Flash, etc.) Putting him on this team would just be gratuitous and would not do the Duke that I used to know & admire (the one we haven't seen for 25 years) any justice.

Cobras:

During my re-envisioning of the Joes, I was torn on how to approach my Cobra organization. Was it going to be a "Ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world"? - no. Because World Domination is lame. Was it going to be an evil corporation posing as a global conglomerate with good intentions? - no. Although I do like aspects of the Renegades version of Cobra. Was I going to go full-on domestic "Montana-Militia" style like in the early pages of GI Joe: Reloaded? - maybe. I thought long & hard about it (heh - "long & hard") and decided to look at it as more of a Cult/Militia/Anti-Government Crusade. I started thinking about how Cobra would recruit members - and honestly, you don't get thousands of people who "just want to be evil" - and you don't get very far before the Government swoops in and smacks you down. I could do the overseas/Cobra Island terrorist thing, but that, too, has been done. No, this had to be a domestic, US-borne group that somehow managed to evade the authorities -- how to do that? Create a cult and apply for special religious exemptions to protect your organization. Now, I don't want to get too in-depth or crazy here, because of the board's rules about religious discussion, so I'll keep it light. Basically this is one of those scam cults where the followers are misled/brainwashed into believing anything and the leaders are all in it for the money and power. Cobra might even have a few celebrities in their hip pocket to help provide "legitimacy" to their Evil Empire.... :shifty:

Anyway, the man who would become Cobra Commander got the idea after seeing thousands upon thousands of people flocking to these Charlatans -- throwing money away to gain "enlightenment" and falling for the most outrageous claims despite undeniable evidence to the contrary, and operating with the same protections as a legitimate religious institution. He did some research and happened upon an ancient Snake-Cult (think the one led by James Earl Jones in Conan the Barbarian mixed with some Cobra-La) and decided to update it for the new millennium. So the former used-car salesman started small in his home town of Springfield, and quickly grew the organization preying on the outcast and alienated members of Society - giving them a place to "belong". Once they gained a presence on the Internet, the "Philosophical Movement" spread like wildfire. Once they got their hooks into the followers, they used a brilliant regimen of propaganda and psychotropic drugs to ensure loyalty and prevent defections. Now that he had his followers and his fortune, he began building his Army to protect it all.....

Decided to do a mix of different styles, but not be too over-the-top. Left out the hood, because all the hooded versions' heads are too small. But I still wanted to see his eyes - so when I saw how cool the Jungle Viper head looked with painted eyes, I knew I found it. It's a little plain, but it works for now.

When I was a kid, the Rajneesh cult took over a small town not far from where I was living - they moved in, voted themselves into office, and turned the tiny town of Antelope, Oregon into a giant commune - and all within the law (although their dealings were shady.) The #2 for this cult was an evil, crazy [LASER BLAST] named Sheela - she formulated a number of assassination plots and used to be the cult's spokesperson on TV - and she was the scariest aspect of the whole situation, IMO. So I figure with Baroness - instead of making her some spoiled misguided European nobility, I'd make her more like Sheela - especially with my "cult" status for Cobra. With the Baroness, as with Sheela - you never quite know what her motivations are. Does she truly believe in the philosophy of the group, or is she just in it for the power? is she totally enamored with Cobra Commander, or is she biding time until she can take over? Where do her true loyalties lie?

So she's the mouthpiece and all around strategic planner of Cobra. Also - she can afford Lasik these days ;-)

Never planned on making a Destro for this iteration -- I always scoffed at the idea that there'd be an "honorable" yet ass-hatty arms dealer working for Cobra while secretly trying to take over. In a real situation, CC would just have him killed (kinda like he tried to do early in the comics). So he wasn't even on the to-do list until I saw a couple of different customs that re-painted the ROC Destro in traditional colors and I was sold.

Tried to search and find out who made the "Re-ROC'd" Destros that inspired me - but I couldn't find them. If you're one of the 2-3 folks that did it, please speak up so that I can thank you publicly.

Still trying to flesh out the character. I don't like the idea of him being an outside entity or having a large Arms-Dealing company. I think I'll use him more as a weapons/software developer (kinda Dr Venom-y) and the Tactical Planner of the group - the #3 behind the Baroness.

Next up is probably my all-time favorite Joe bad guy - MAJ Bludd. I remember getting the original Bludd as a mail-away (right after I got my mail-away CC). The filecard he came with had the GI Joe logo instead of the Cobra one, so I thought he was part of the Joe team until he appeared in the comics (and later carded in stores) as a bad guy. I always felt like he was underused and portrayed as too much of a buffoon (the poetry, etc.) I wanted to make a Bludd that was a highly-competent, yet wholly tyrannical soldier-of-fortune. I decided that he'd be the actual Troop Commander and head trainer for the Cobra Army. And the first thing I did was get rid of the stupid rocket-gun and armor ;)

Only kept a few distinctive Bludd accouterments (dog tags, a touch of brown in the uniform) because I wanted a practical, no-nonsense guy. I gave him a big-ass kukri knife to add to the character, but otherwise went minimalistic. If I want one with all the bells & whistles, I have one ready to go.

Then there's Firefly -- I wasn't sure how to update/change him, because I always pretty much liked pre-ninja FF as-is. But then I read that IDW re-wrote him a black guy (haven't read it), and that appealed to me - because the bad guys should have some diversity too. But other than that, I left him unchanged - I really disliked the Renegades version, because he was a total nutjob. I want my Firefly to be the most pragmatic and "sane" one of the bunch - teeming with common sense and rarely getting worked up about anything, just a solid professional.

This next guy was totally made as a goof - I have no real use for him at all, but since I already had a couple "GIJCC Exclusive" customs in my collection by accident, I figured I'd make one on-purpose :P

- The head was much shinier originally. And I like this head much better than the chromed SEv1 one.

Still need to make a Scrap-Iron, and I'm toying with the idea of updating the Dreadnoks so that they're actually relevant (doubt I'll have a Zartan, though.) As far as Troopers go, I'm pretty much limiting it to Blue Shirts, Vipers, and a few BATs. Ninjas are gone, CG for the most part is gone (might have 3-4 as personal guards) and the IG is toast because MARS doesn't exist. Also staying away from critter-themed baddies (Raptor, Croc-master). Doc Venom & Mindbender (sans S&M outfit) will likely return to help with the brainwashing of the masses.

Tomorrow: SHIELD

Thanks again for looking - cheers!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Rebooted (Chief-style)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 am 

So much to comment on, though I greatly approve of your line up. Obviously great customs as usual, but I really like that Destro, both heads. The red and black really pop on that mold. Destro is a character that I've never been able to find a place for in my power structure, though I really dig his figures a lot, most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:59 am 

Very awesome stuff, only read a few of the bios so far. Will be coming back to check them out in more detail for sure!

Chief wrote:
Never planned on making a Destro for this iteration -- I always scoffed at the idea that there'd be an "honorable" yet ass-hatty arms dealer working for Cobra while secretly trying to take over. In a real situation, CC would just have him killed (kinda like he tried to do early in the comics). So he wasn't even on the to-do list until I saw a couple of different customs that re-painted the ROC Destro in traditional colors and I was sold.

Tried to search and find out who made the "Re-ROC'd" Destros that inspired me - but I couldn't find them. If you're one of the 2-3 folks that did it, please speak up so that I can thank you publicly.

Though I certainly wasn't the only one, I did a "ROC Classic Colors Destro". Really like the additional red trim you did on yours.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 am 
Plug
Plug

That is a lot to take in. I like the customs and the backstories but you've kind of shattered my world and I need time to reflect. As for Duke, what if he was the military liason. Totally Army SF but if the Joes need support Duke is the guy leading the soldiers. Need a lift in a C130 Duke's riding shotgun. Needx to knock on the door with a tank column, Duke's in the front tank. Almost like the DoD's (Jugglers) way of keeping tabs of team and taking credit for the covert team's successes. I think it works because in the movies they always have the military group with the CIA guy popping up to give intel. Now you'd have the soldier popping up to help the covert group.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 am 

That's actually pretty much the way I was going to work it, Pluv -- because I still want to be able to use Ripcord, Wild Bill, Airborne, Grunt, and others on certain overseas missions. The only problem is that all of my "regular" Joes are in a storage bin now because the Adventure Team needed the shelf space :P

And Dan - yep, it was yours that made me first consider re-integrating Destro into the mix. The main reason I went with the darker pants was so that it wasn't a total rip-off of yours. But yeah, it's pretty much a total ripoff of yours :D Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 am 

Alot to go through. I will be rereading the bios. I know The stereotype for Roadblock is played out, like you said. But i still really like the character. I think your update on him is excellent. His simplicity and straight up look already relinqueshed the stereotypes in my head. he now looks mean and tough, Not the rhyming and jiving guy we had in the past. I also really like the color scheme on your Scarlett. If the 2 paints were sitting on my desk side by side, i would say no way they go together well. but you did it and the outcome looks great. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:14 pm 
card back fetish
card back fetish

I love the Scarlett. The colors work well together. The Destro, Baroness and Bludd are especial cool as well.

Come see the "What I'm Working On" posts every Thursday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:24 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

again with the .holy.crap. ...

wow, you weren't slacking off all this time!

i agree with everyone that this is a lot to take in! but i'll try to highlight a few things that stood out for me -

- awesome backstory & re-imagining!
- you have used that stormy jacket in amazing and inspirational ways! very cool in black!
- i would never have thought to paint that baroness coat in cobra colors - also very cool!
- i really like CC's head & your take on Mayday -- nicely done!

the one thing that didn't work for me, out of all of these, is your choice for Roadblock's lower legs... just not feeling them - the ankles feel a little too weak to support such a massive figure -

now, where's Scrap? - he's always been one of my favorite cobras, and i look forward to seeing him re-imagined in your new 'verse!

well done, sir.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:21 pm 

more goodies dan, I really like your joe team lineup, most of my favorites as well.The figures are all really good, love scarlett still, the only ones I think needs a little more is roadblock wih his knee pads painted and flints feet need changed otherwise good job...Cobra wise a good team too, FF does look a little fat to me for some reason but pretty sure it's not true...glad to see you posting again
I also rememnber the cult here in oregon back then too...scary stuff, but cool idea to add that into your story
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:41 pm 

Too much to comment on right now (I'm at work and should be working) but I had to bring up your background for Cobra. Its very much like part of the new IDW Cobra. In the Cobra series there is a snake cult (Cobra La) that operates much like you describe, publicly tolerated, secretly brainwashing and controlling people. When I was reading your description of your Cobra the IDW connection immediately sprang to mind and I love it. It really works for a real world, current era Cobra and you've added enough of your own unique touches to make it really awesome. Was the comic part of your inspiration?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 pm 
JC Podcaster
JC Podcaster

No crits, just glad to see some new customs from you. Time and resources very well spent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm 
King of Daikaiju

I can't even remember what my last GI Joe purchase was, and definitely can't remember the last one I purchased to use "as-is".
I would totally buy all of those to use exactly as they are.

Simply fantastic stuff.

things aren't as pretty... on the inside"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 pm 

You know what? This is how the movie should have looked, even down to the story. VERY well done. I like the color schemes especially.

Pluv has an interesting idea, but I think that what you might use Duke for would be more like an Intel Liason rather than a Regular Military one (or this slot could be a good fit for Lady Jaye). In the Devil's Due comics, Duke became sort of a "man in black" type after the decommissioning of Gi Joe. Basically the guy who says "These photos were taken...(dramatic pause)... this morning", or the "Good Morning, Mr. Phelps" equivalent. I think GI Joe Extreme had somebody like that named Mr. Clancy.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 pm 

joemichaels70 wrote:

the one thing that didn't work for me, out of all of these, is your choice for Roadblock's lower legs... just not feeling them - the ankles feel a little too weak to support such a massive figure -

My choice? - you mean the lower legs from the factory-built Roadblock figure I just painted over? ;-) (this guy is all ROC Battlestation/Resolute Roadblock except the head) -- actually, I'm right there with you, JM - I don't like them either - for the reasons you stated. My issue is finding ones that provide the same height and mesh with the thighs. I was gonna just go with Luke Cage legs, but those weren't working for me. Might try seeing how Luke lowers go with RB's thighs, though. My other gripe about the lowers is that they're TOO military. I know that I'm keeping some aspects of the military in these uniforms, but the boots-with-gaiters doesn't look right with the more casual vest-with-shades.

joemichaels70 wrote:
now, where's Scrap? - .

You know what my problem was with Scrap? Finding decent parts with which to update him but not make him a straight-up red & blue repaint. I was just going to darken the little pink boots & vest of the 25A version, but wanted to keep one "original" of every character for my collection. So I've been trying to mash some ROC/POC parts together to give him a solid update, but haven't found the right formula yet. Any suggestions from the crowd is more than welcome, because so far I'm not even sure about using an actual Scrappy head for this new version.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Too much to comment on right now (I'm at work and should be working) but I had to bring up your background for Cobra. Its very much like part of the new IDW Cobra. In the Cobra series there is a snake cult (Cobra La) that operates much like you describe, publicly tolerated, secretly brainwashing and controlling people. When I was reading your description of your Cobra the IDW connection immediately sprang to mind and I love it. It really works for a real world, current era Cobra and you've added enough of your own unique touches to make it really awesome. Was the comic part of your inspiration?

I'd only read the first couple of issues before I stopped buying comics altogether, so I didn't get any Cult-vibe from Cobra in those (will have to re-read to make sure I didn't miss something or was subliminally influenced) -- my actual inspiration to go this direction came from a couple of South Park episodes, to be honest :P . - The 'Coon & Friends' trilogy with C'thulululu (who I never really knew/cared about because Lovecraft's not my thing) and "Trapped in the Closet". Both episodes caused me to start doing a great deal of research on each parodied topic so I wouldn't miss all the little in-jokes. But now I guess I'll have to snag an IDW trade or two and see how they do Cobra now. I'm also looking forward to this week's Renegades so I can see how the Twins "cult-up" the Crimson Guard. :D

Tim - I figured you'd remember the Rajneeshies (since we're about the same age) - talk about a real-life scare for a little kid in a quiet little Oregon town, huh? Don't know if you remember this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Rajne ... ror_attack -- but we actually ate at that Taco Time (damn, I miss Taco Time) about a week before they poisoned everyone 8O - Also - I see what you're saying about FF -- it's probably just the belt & backpack playing tricks with the camera, as he's a straight-up Firefly repaint.

Glad this was so well-received - thanks for the comments and suggestions!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:27 pm 
DarkJedi'd

Chief, I see all these incredible customs and how you put parts together and flesh out the characters and make the dio pieces and basically see the skills you bring to the table.

Then I can't help think what neat stuff you could do with sub groups you haven't done or might dislike-the Dreadnoks or the Oktober Guard and such.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:14 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])