Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Random, semi-interesting Superheroes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:10 am 

Ok, as I mentioned the other day, I'm still churning out customs at a pretty decent rate despite not caring to show them off with any regularity. I was on a superhero kick for so long, that even I got tired of my constant Non-Joe Customs posts on JoeCustoms, so it was time to knock it off. And since I don't post on any other sites, there was no reason to showcase these anywhere.

But again, this is the Custom Celebration - the Celebration of, uh, customs or something... :P

So in no particular order --

Battle Damaged Spidey. Got a second Spidey/Sentry pack for fodder (you'll see why tomorrow) and figured I'd do something fun with Spidey. To date, this is my favorite Spider-Man figure - the only problem is the height, which is easily fixed by shortening the lower legs a bit. He's 1000% better than the single-pack red & blue Spidey and just about the only character for which this particular sculpt actually works.

BadAsh requested a close-up of the face a couple of months ago, but I hadn't quite tweaked it right -- I think it's about where I want it now, though (DTC Mutt for the head):

Huh - for some unknown reason, his hair has been "battle-damaged" as well - didn't notice the paint scraped off until these pics. Oh, well - we'll just call it flesh-colored debris or something ;)

Battle-Damaged Dance-Off, yo!!

Phoenix -- used my Dark Phoenix head for my Black Widow custom, and decided to put a different head on the Dark Jean body and make her a bad guy. But once I got the head painted up, I started messing around and before I knew it, painted the rest of the figure green. And I have to say, I like how she turned out, so she's back with the X-Men. Don't know why the eyes look so messed up in the pic - she's fine in-person.

Psylocke - this was an aborted .... damn, I can't even remember what the original custom was supposed to be. But somehow one of my older Lara Croft heads made it onto a Ms Marvel body and it just said "Psylocke" to me.

"Room-temperature" Iceman - another one that I've been sitting on for a long time. I like how he turned out.

And now the compulsory "Original X-Men" pic:

Hank Pym -- got the idea for this after watching the new Avengers cartoon (which is effing awesome, BTW - really well done and a lot of fun.) I love the way they portray Hank and Jan in this iteration - Hank's not a whiny-ass "poor me" wife-beater, he's a super-smart guy who prefers to be a pacifist but will step up and kick ass as needed - without the drama of being socially inept. Jan's pretty badass, too - a fiesty go-getter instead of a ditzy rich girl. Very cool.

So with Hank's improved personality, he deserved a decent treatment in my custom collection. The 12" Giant-Man/Goliath that Hasbro gave us is great, but way too big to be practical for day-to-day superhero-ing. I went back and re-read a lot of the early Avenger comics from the 60s and realized that as Giant-Man, Hank usually hovered around 10-12 feet tall. So it was pretty easy to convert a 6" DC Commander Steel fig into a new Giant-Man. Then instead of a costumed 1:18 version, I decided to go with labcoat Hank (with Ant-Man costume underneath) - again, inspired by the new 'toon. Add the mini Ant-Man fig that came with MU Yellowjacket, and you've got a complete set.

Black Adam - nothing much to say about this one - finally upgraded my crappy old Microman version. The head is a BBI WWII guy with sculpted ears.

Crap - just noticed that Marvel's missing his "bracelets" (donated them to another custom) - guess I'll be working on fixing him this weekend.

Darkseid -- funny thing is that a few months back, Iron Will posted his Darkseid within hours of me finishing mine -- that's like the second or third time that's happened. Mine uses basically the same formula as his (even the same type of ribbon for the belt - which is extra-freaky 8O ), but I kept the JLU lower legs (had to bulk them up) to give him some height.

Taskmaster - I had a "mercenary" Joe-based version, but wanted to go with the traditional look, goofy as it is. Then of course, Hasbro comes up with its own version finally -- although there are aspects of mine that I still like better, so I imagine there'll be a "hodgepodging" of parts once the MU version hits the shelves (definitely replacing my shield with Hasbro's.)

Night Man -- a character about which I knew nothing other than he looked pretty cool. --I had the 5" figure from the 90s that I bought to go along with my Toy Biz Marvel stuff at the time. I don't remember much about his bio other than what was on the cardback, so that leaves the character pretty open for my own interpretation. I do know that he was featured in Malibu comics (later bought by Marvel and featured in some crossovers) which I never read, and apparently had his own TV show, which I never saw. -- Although, after I finished the figure and did some internet surfing, I found that the head I used (TDK Batman with Rex Lewis hair) looks almost EXACTLY like the TV version. Weird. In my 'verse he works with Moon Knight on occasion -- and I'll probably change the name, because "Night Man" is just dumb. Maybe "Mid-Knight"? - nah, that's just stupid. :P

With the original figure that inspired the custom:

Leader - I don't think I've ever seen a 1:18 Leader custom. I've always considered him the Hulk's greatest foe, but I may be alone in that (hell - drbindy didn't even know who he was :P ) . A free "No-Prize" to anyone who can figure out what base figure I used for the head (drbindy is ineligible ;) )

Thunderbolt Ross - again, the eyes look wonky on-screen, but not in-hand. One I've been sitting on for a while - all I had to do was sculpt a 'stache & eyebrows, but it took me a year to finally knock it out. Not a huge fan of the whole Red-Hulk storyline now that they've revealed who Rulk is So I'm probably gonna toss the whole concept out of my 'verse and just keep Ross as the a-hole overzealous douchebag that he used to be. I was a little upset with the first Hulk movie because they had Sam Elliott play Ross - which sucked, because I could never dislike a Sam Elliott character or see him as the bad guy. Luckily, they got William Hurt for the decent Hulk flick, so I was able to hate Ross on film once again :D

Amadeus Cho -- put a Luke Skywalker head on a Harry Potter body and slapped some paint on him. I need to find a 1:18 Vespa -- I used to see them everywhere when I wasn't looking for one, but now they've disappeared. I'm sure I'll find one soon enough.

And the two "families" (I've always considered Samson a douche, too, so I'm glad he's more of a bad guy in the comics lately):

Check back in tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion of the "What the hell has Chief been up to?" showcase! ;) Tomorrow's theme: Sci-Fi/Fantasy customs.

Thanks for looking -- Cheers!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Random, semi-interesting Superheroes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:00 am 

nice, I really like jean,psylocke, and bobby. I think night man is great too but you've shown him to me before. Really nice , not 1 stinker in the bunch.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:30 am 

LOVE the "room temperature" Bobby Drake. If I can find the right base figure (i.e. one that doesn't require a lot of paint) I'll consider stealing that formula for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:28 am 
Plug
Plug

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
LOVE the "room temperature" Bobby Drake. If I can find the right base figure (i.e. one that doesn't require a lot of paint) I'll consider stealing that formula for sure.
Seriously, that one stole the show for me too. So stolen it should be a felony.

And if I had the time and parts Ant Man would be stolen too. For now I'm just going to pretend my custom is hanging out at your house. :D

Chief wrote:
Iron Will posted his Darkseid within hours of me finishing mine -- that's like the second or third time that's happened. Mine uses basically the same formula as his (even the same type of ribbon for the belt - which is extra-freaky 8O )
Ironwilled?

Chief wrote:
A free "No-Prize" to anyone who can figure out what base figure I used for the head (drbindy is ineligible ;) )
Knighthawk. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:09 am 

Incredible work all around. Awesome Nightman blast from the past! Had the comics and watched the show lol! I agree Drake is great, but Battle Damage Spidey steals the show for me. Lol 'Ironwilled' think I like that. But seriously we will stick with the 'Great minds' theory! Really great work here.

http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/af217/lronWill/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:12 am 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Chief wrote:
Leader - I don't think I've ever seen a 1:18 Leader custom. I've always considered him the Hulk's greatest foe, but I may be alone in that (hell - drbindy didn't even know who he was :P ) . A free "No-Prize" to anyone who can figure out what base figure I used for the head (drbindy is ineligible ;) )

First off, the orange paint looks great. Not an easy color to paint.
As for the "No Prize," is that Channing Tatum?

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:44 am 
Don't make me angry, you won't like Cranky Tanky

dude!!! if i only made superheroes you would inspire me as much as Will

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:37 pm 

Thanks everyone!

Pluv - I think "Iron-Willed" is the new "Chad-Matted" for Superhero customs ;)

Also - speaking of Chad - you are correct, sir. And a good thing, too - because your "No-Prize" will actually be a tangible item (found some Stargate figure Staffs that I'm sending to you) - so, uh - congrats? :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:07 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

another day filled with awesome!

my favorite is The Leader -- how did you get the smooth orange down?

also: man, i really dig that Janet Wasp custom -- truly a masterpiece --

also: yes, the De-Iceman is fantastic --

finally: whatever head you used for your Dark Phoenix above? Looks like Faith Hill... :tictoc:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:28 pm 

Tamiya white spray primer + Citadel Blaze Orange = Leader & Action Man. Easy-peasy ;)

Wait - Dark Phoenix? (the red one) - that's the actual unaltered factory head. The regular Phoenix (green one) is a ROC Scarlett with Spider-Woman hair.

hi joemichaels. thanks joemichaels. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:35 pm 

Great work there big homie, but that Spidey yo thats sick!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:58 pm 

Chief wrote:
Tamiya white spray primer + Citadel Blaze Orange = Leader & Action Man. Easy-peasy ;)

Wait - Dark Phoenix? (the red one) - that's the actual unaltered factory head. The regular Phoenix (green one) is a ROC Scarlett with Spider-Woman hair.

hi joemichaels. thanks joemichaels. :D

where are you getting that primer? the only place i'm seeing it is direct-from-hong kong --

that dark phoenix unaltered head, painted blonde = Faith Hill. just sayin.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:10 pm 

Hobbytown USA is the only B&M place I've found it - sucks, too - because the nearest one is about 40 miles away. When I lived in the DC suburbs, I had one within walking distance :-/

Oh, well - I'll trade the convenience of having hobby supplies nearby for the fresh air, mountains and severely-reduced crime rate that I get now for free :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:03 am 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Chief wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Pluv - I think "Iron-Willed" is the new "Chad-Matted" for Superhero customs ;)

Also - speaking of Chad - you are correct, sir. And a good thing, too - because your "No-Prize" will actually be a tangible item (found some Stargate figure Staffs that I'm sending to you) - so, uh - congrats? :D

Sweet! Best "No Prize" ever!

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:19 am 

All are really sweet customs.
Leader's mustache really does give him a Chinese vibe...
A very bluddy one.

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノGreat duos come in threes..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])