Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Avengers Quinjet COMPLETE 10/6
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:52 pm 

Sorry it's been so long since my last post, but I've been busy, and I think you'll be pleased at the subject.

I'm building a 1980 Avengers Quinjet. I've drawn my own prints, heavily referencing the Elliot Brown OHOTMU entry. I'm including some of my drawings here, as well as photos of the nearly-completed top and bottom hull patterns. This will be the biggest project I've scratchbuilt so far, and the Quinjet will require a lot of structural reinforcement under the skin. The specs call for:
-opening frameless canopy
-functioning landing gear
-seating for two pilots and 3-5 passengers
-to accept Marvel Universe figures

I'm not installing lights in the Quinjet in an attempt to get this done within the three-year timeframe the Viper and Airwolf both required :roll: . I'm about to start a new job, which means no more nights and weekends, so I should have more time to work on this stuff.

The patterns are pine, which has been glued-up and cut, planed, sanded, cursed at, sanded, filled, and sanded. They've had two coats of primer and three coats of epoxy paint. That should yield a tough, temperature resistant high-gloss coating for vac-forming the shells. You may notice the top pattern is shorter than the bottom. This is not an accident; simply put, the fuselage of the quinjet is longer than I can vac-form, so I'll actually have to do two pulls off the mold, with the back half of one making the aft section of the hull.

I'm glad to be out of the pattern stage, and getting excited about makin' some parts.

Attachments:
Top Plan.JPG
Top Plan.JPG [ 38.92 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]
Port Elevation.JPG
Port Elevation.JPG [ 35.04 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]
Bow Elevation.JPG
Bow Elevation.JPG [ 33.04 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]

Last edited by Outback on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Avengers Quinjet WIP
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:55 pm 

And now the pattern photos:

Attachments:
bottom hull pattern 01sm.jpg
bottom hull pattern 01sm.jpg [ 62.89 KiB | Viewed 2471 times ]
top hull pattern 0sm2.jpg
top hull pattern 0sm2.jpg [ 53.49 KiB | Viewed 2471 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:55 pm 
Formerly Push You Down

whu-whu... it's beautiful already! THREE YEARS MAN!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:54 pm 

Are you taking orders?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:04 am 

PYD: I'm shootin' for a couple more months. Things get cold out in the shop come winter time, and there's usually a couple months I can't even get in there for the snow. Of course, what's a fella to do under those circumstances? Why, draw more stuff up on the CAD, of course!

Gwest: Orders? Let's see if I can build ONE first. If I'm not careful, this will be the most twisted-up thing ever seen on JoeCustoms.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 am 
Plug
Plug

Quote:
which has been glued-up and cut, planed, sanded, cursed at, sanded, filled, and sanded.

Been there, done that.

Quote:
If I'm not careful, this will be the most twisted-up thing ever seen on JoeCustoms.

Plastic burns really well. Bring some marshmallows.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:31 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

oh hells yes. this thread is bookmarked.

i'll buy as well, please put me down for one. i'll sell plasma.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 pm 

Quick update: I took a break from studying for my state license test to vac-form some shells. Here's the upper fuselage shell and the canopy as they emerged from the vac former.

The top fuselage pattern formed like a dream. Nice, tight draw over the pattern, which removed from the completed part pretty easily. The canopy wasn't quite as tight a draw, but still captured everything I'll need.

The bottom fuselage pattern, as it turns out, is about 1" too long. I was afraid of that; I'd hoped the plastic would draw down better, but the pattern is almost exactly the length of the bed, and there just isn't enough area to evacuate the air to get a tight draw. I'll have to add material when I assemble the halves, but the seams will be hidden by the side pods and won't be a difficult fix. I'll modify the pattern tomorrow and try again.

Attachments:
003sm.JPG
003sm.JPG [ 47.7 KiB | Viewed 2244 times ]
004sm.JPG
004sm.JPG [ 36.37 KiB | Viewed 2244 times ]
005sm.JPG
005sm.JPG [ 42.04 KiB | Viewed 2244 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:33 pm 

Just how big is this going to be?

Can I order 2 of them now? Please? Pretty Please..?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:11 pm 

WOW, I guess I have 3 years to fig out how to integrate the avengers in my Joe verse cause I want one too

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:04 pm 

gwest: In rough numbers, it will be about 9 1/2" tall, about 17" wide, and about 24" long, not including pitot tube. Still not takin' orders yet, but I'll let you know if I decide to produce 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:30 pm 

Outback wrote:
gwest: In rough numbers, it will be about 9 1/2" tall, about 17" wide, and about 24" long, not including pitot tube. Still not takin' orders yet, but I'll let you know if I decide to produce 'em.

I read that and cried both tears of joy and sadness at the same time...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 am 

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's a pretty big piece. Even if you take the wings/fin out of the equation, it's still 5" tall, 12" wide and 23 1/2" long. I guess I don't know of anything scratchbuilt that size outside of special effects models or garage kits.

Once I get the bottom half v-f'd the next step is to get to work on the landing gear. Which means a trip to the hobby shop R/C section.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I don't know the actual dimensions, but over at rebelscum a guy is scratch-building a true 1:18 scaled Millenium Falcon, but he's also been taking forever - understandably so - and I don't think he's done yet. It is awesome though. Size wise, I also linked previously to a 1:18 scaled Jabba's sail barge which I saw over at yakface.com.

Your scratch builds always seem inherently reproduceable given the style you make them with, which is I think is one reason this is so enticing here. We can all imagine we have one, even if it doesn't happen...lol

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:23 am 

That 1/18 Falcon is a sweet project. I'd love to do one. Just don't have a space large enough to accomodate the WIP stage. Of course, there's a lot of projects I have done preliminary work on that I don't have enough space for. Once I get a new roof on the barn, all bets are off!

Thanks for the kind words, drbindy. Obviously, I really enjoy making these projects, and I hope to inspire others to build their own. It's really not that difficult, and I believe there's many people with the skills and tools to make some fabulous stuff. I hope to see more of this kind of work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])