Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cobra Commander - Krake (designed by Robert Atkins)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

This was the first joint custom that Matthew and I have made. Check out our pictures along with the construction notes that follow.
ImageImage
Construction Notes
HEAD: B.A.T. 86 (modified w/ Headman 02 neck)
(Chad)- The Viper 86 head seemed like the obvious choice, but IDW's look was a little different. The BAT faceplate had nice angles, and the vents on the head a thought had a good look for Krake. The Headman neck needed some mods, but the shape worked well to sculpt the collar tabs.
(Matt)- My choices for heads were Viper 86 without goggles and Crimson Guard Commander. Chad had the idea of using the B.A.T. It gave us a good opportunity to mod the head, plus it has vents on each side of the mask, which was a plus.
ARMS: General M. Bison ME (modified with Alley Viper v9 gauntlets, Snake Eyes v33 pocket, Zap v5 strap, & Gears 94 hands)
(Chad)- I was lucky enough to have a set of the Movie Edition Bison in my parts. The silver joints were a plus, but the gauntlets proved more difficult. The Alley Viper v2 worked well rotated, though the straps do not match the original art.
(Matt)- The shoulders were the easy part. There are quite a few good armored shoulders, but the forearms were tricky. We thought about using Muskrat v3, but they just weren’t exactly what we were looking for. The modified Alley Viper v2 arms may not be 100% accurate, but they look sharp.
CHEST: Gears 94 chest (modified) / Effects 94 back (modified)
(Chad)- Barricade's toros had a great look for Krake, but if you have ever seen the back torso, it does not work out all. Back to my parts bag, I found a great sculpted figure... Effects. So the head is really bad, but the back part of the torso looked great with the front of the Barricade. A little sanding and sculpting made this a great piece.
(Matt)- Barricade is without a doubt the easiest option here. Star Brigade Duke is also nice, but not as available as Barricade. However, his back is funky, so Chad had the great idea of using a different Back piece. I never thought it would work, but it did fantastically.
WAIST: General Abernathy v1 (modified)
(Chad)- This waist had all the elements, and Matt topped it off with the straps.
(Matt)- Another straight up choice, especially as much as Hasbro used this waist from 97-05. Just some quick sculpting for straps, and good to go.
THIGHS: Muskrat 93 (modified)
(Chad)- Another great piece to start with. The holsters and straps were perfect.
(Matt)- There are quite a few choices for dual holstered thighs, but the Muskrat v3 just looked great, and definitely took less mods than any other choices we may have had.
FEET: Super Trooper 88
(Chad)- The Zandar knee pads sold these here. The shape and style of the feet worked very well with the thighs, too.
(Matt)- I had thought about using Dr. Mindbender, and Chad liked Zandar. Turns out we didn’t have extra Mindbender legs (I blame Lance). Zandar’s turned out great though.
ACCESSORIES:
*Pistols- Duke v27 (x2)
(Chad)- I was lucky enough to have a few of the Duke v27 pistols lieing around. The scale is great because they come from a 25th figure, but the handles were thin enough to fit the Gears hands. The texture on the handles matched that of the Muskrat 93 legs, which is a plus.
*Cape- Major Bludd 05 & General M. Bison ME (modified)
(Chad)- The cape came with some trial and error. The Resolute Cobra Commander sash was too small, the Swamp Rat was too bulky. The Major Bludd 05 scarf matched the Bison soft goods well, and I really like the result.
*Harness- Custom made from Rexlace
(Chad)- If you have ever worked with Rexlace, you know it can be great. If not, go buy some. Of course, it took me three attempts to get the harness right (and I felt I needed two sets of hands). Crossing the pistol stumped me the most, but inspiration came as I was going to sleep one night. I also love that it is removable.
*Accessories
(Matt)- These were all Chad’s doings. Having the parts that he did was great, and the execution on the cape is very nice. We really wanted to make this as “vintage” as possible, not having too much removable gear. We saw Outback as an exception with his harness, so Chad fabricated this harness for Cobra Commander. The pistols on the back were tricky. I originally tried to graft

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Cobra Commander - Krake (designed by Robert Atkins)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:55 pm 

Gosh, I think I remember seeing your post about going ARAH old school all the way? and it sure looks like you managed it!! :D Fabtastic job gentlemen!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 am 

1of3knights wrote:
Gosh, I think I remember seeing your post about going ARAH old school all the way? and it sure looks like you managed it!! :D Fabtastic job gentlemen!!

Yeah the paint is really nice and the holster they made is nice!
See they sorta went the way I want to try when you come to visit again and i get to have a go at this as I think a cape sculpted the way you did or as close as i can get and then soft goods for the back:D then my commander could sit:D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:34 am 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

.amazing.

this is how it's done in ARAH.

you guys are KINGS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 am 

Also -- thanks for the discussion about the parts & customizing choices - it's really cool to see the behind-the-scenes on a custom like this!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:14 am 

sweet job, you guys did a perfect RAH version

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 am 
Don't make me angry, you won't like Cranky Tanky

this one will be getting my vote that is so awsome too see this version in ARAH form!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 am 
Rooty tooty point & shooty

I'm speechless. Impeccable work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 am 
Formerly JFAK075

Love how clean he looks. The only mild critique is the head choice. Can't think of a better one though.

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 pm 
Plug
Plug

I origianlly wanted to go with the 25th BAT head, but ut looked to skinny to be a helmet. It never occcurred to me to use a ARAH BAT head instead.

I love the cape and holster. It helps capture the look a lot better than the parts alone. Also, I think we are part of a dieing breed of customizers who pay attention to the texture of sculpted weapons versus the loose accessory. The removable weapons on modern sculpts have negated the need for that level pf detail.

The one thing I wish you guys had done was to sculpt the more accurate vents on the head. It would have made it less BAT and more Atkins CC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:38 pm 

Loving the ARAH take.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 pm 

Great effort, especially using ARAH parts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 pm 

great job, dig that you went the ARAH path, great part choices

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:38 pm 

iwbeta wrote:
Loving the ARAH take.

Customs like this show that the ARAH stuff still has plenty of life. Beautiful work.

My eBay listings: PennyKooleToys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm 
JC Podcaster
JC Podcaster

alleyviperelite wrote:
iwbeta wrote:
Loving the ARAH take.

Customs like this show that the ARAH stuff still has plenty of life. Beautiful work.

Agreed. If this were in a ARAH con set, I'd be all over it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])