Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:06 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alyosha's Wild Weasel + Nova's Inferno BAT cooking a BBQ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 pm 
Snake Milker

HAHAHAH! GET IT?

I was lucky enough to trade Nova for one of his clear red BAT casts when he was out here for the NJCC. I wanted it for the same idea he had-V1 Inferno BAT.

I remembered there was a thread here where a couple guys went back and forth about how to paint it to best resemble the Inferno BAT, but I avoided it until I was done painting today...And it looks like my version was completely the opposite of what was discussed. I am suspending disbelief on the whole shirt and pants thing.

I tried to do as direct a repaint as I could, without resorting to painting the arms black, but I did swap up the colors on the belt and boots. I used an extra damaged NJCC cast flame (with some light yellow paint added) and drilled out the flamethrower for fun.

This was a kit I got from Alyosha at the con. It is Wild Weasel, based on a custom here. The color is a little light, but it is next to a really dark vintage WW.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Alyosha's Wild Weasel + Nova's Inferno BAT cooking a BBQ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 pm 
Snake Staked

Nova's BAT looks good! I like what you did with the flame acc as well. Cook that stupid Eco-BBQ proper (never liked that design).

As for the WW, it's a surprise to me that you managed to get this put together given your admissions and statements of failure over on FB concerning the Movie Hit & Run. I am noticing that the arms seem to be in the exact same pose in each pic....did you stick them together with superglue?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm 
Plays a cop
Plays a cop

Excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

That inferno bat is beautiful!

I like the look of the wild weasel, too -

question: are all those rivets made of plastic, too?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:02 pm 
Snake Milker

Alyosha wrote:
Nova's BAT looks good! I like what you did with the flame acc as well. Cook that stupid Eco-BBQ proper (never liked that design).

As for the WW, it's a surprise to me that you managed to get this put together given your admissions and statements of failure over on FB concerning the Movie Hit & Run. I am noticing that the arms seem to be in the exact same pose in each pic....did you stick them together with superglue?

Sigh, no, they are correctly put together. The joints are a little loose at the elbows and knees, though, probably because I'm not used to assembling them.

yes, they are plastic rivets. Insert, one drop of glue on the back, then file down the excess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:24 am 

Seeing that red B.A.T. v2 reminds me of how underrated that sculpt is . It truly is a kick ass troop figure that deserves more love when compared the the classic 86 mold.

I'm tempted to troop build a few of the black V2 figures ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 am 

Inferno BAT 1 looks great. I like the liberties you took on it, reversing the black and the bronze. Makes more sense that way. The yellow/orange on the shoulders is a really nice touch.

Wild Weasel is nice as well. Reminds me of one on the Bivouac archives. I do love the original WW, but the AVAC head works remarkably well for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am 

Both look really good.

On the Wild Weasel, was it cast in red so all you had to do was paint the black and silver?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 am 
Snake Milker

Jogunwarrior wrote:
Both look really good.

On the Wild Weasel, was it cast in red so all you had to do was paint the black and silver?

Yes, it was cast in that color. I think the original figure had more color on the leg covers, but I bailed on that idea and opted for the simple color scheme. One friend suggested some sort of a blue scarf to further evoke the V1 WW, and I like that idea, I just don't know what part to use. I wanted to put a cobra sticker on him somewhere, but there isn't a flat surface any where. Other than that, it was a really fun project, I love vintage style casts, and I wish there were more of them. Aly did a great job on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Good job on Inferno B.A.T.! I do think the arms look a bit "boring" in red only. Highlighting some of the sculpted details could make them blend in with the rest of the body.

Sweet new recipe for Wild Weasel, I can dig that. What's that plane in the pics? I like the camo scheme a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:49 am 
Plug
Plug

Really jealous of the BAT. I'm waiting for nova to kick his BAT production into overdrive to get some. Your painting looks flawless on it and the additional flame came out great.

Wild Weasel turned out really good and I think that touch of blue will seal the deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:11 pm 
Snake Milker

Tim 121RVC wrote:
Good job on Inferno B.A.T.! I do think the arms look a bit "boring" in red only. Highlighting some of the sculpted details could make them blend in with the rest of the body.

Sweet new recipe for Wild Weasel, I can dig that. What's that plane in the pics? I like the camo scheme a lot!

That is a PTE J-10, with s custom paint job. I agree that the BAT arms look a little plain, but i was trying to stay as close to the original paint scheme as possible, and I didn't want to paint the arms black.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm 
Snake Milker

pluv wrote:
Really jealous of the BAT. I'm waiting for nova to kick his BAT production into overdrive to get some. Your painting looks flawless on it and the additional flame came out great.

Wild Weasel turned out really good and I think that touch of blue will seal the deal.

yeah, he is going to be a busy caster when he gets back...His already in progress projects, plus whatever I need him to do for the next NJCC project, plus we all want more BATs (i want a constructicon BAT something fierce) and of course the new Sigmq Six Toxic Zartan accessories I made for him to cast...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 am 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Looks great Kev... I really like the BBQ embellishment. What brand/color did you use for the copper...it's pretty spot on.

I still think I agree that the arms in all one color look a tad bland...but I also think that we're all just soo used to seeing the figure's arms in a 2 color scheme that a monochromatic scheme is a bit off putting.

WW looks pretty good too...I think the scarf suggestion is a good one...If you can't find the right part you may even try to mimic Ghost Rider and use real fabric.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:15 am 

Love seeing new ARAH customs.

I'm totally digging that Inferno BAT. Reminds me of how much I liked the original.

The Wild Weasel is pretty cool too. i've never been a huge fan of the AVAC helmet...just seemed kind of small for a preson's head.

Check out the G.I.Joe Review Podcast <-- Episode #45 now available - reviewing Special Missions Issue #5!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:06 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])