Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: MEGABLOKS JOHANN KRAUS PG. 17
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:46 am 

As the song goes " ...take your time do it right..."

I've been looking forward to your next custom though. Make a space pilot at some point ....

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: MEGABLOKS JOHANN KRAUS PG. 17
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:01 pm 

Love them all. Man you are nailing these and at such a small scale... Amazing!

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: MEGAMONDAY RETURNS! PG. 18
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:02 pm 

Howdy everybody!

Sorry for the MegaMonday delays! I missed the first one due to getting lost in my NJC entry, which ended up getting pretty messed-up during a last-second tweak. The first back-up piece I had finished ended up having serious paint issues… peeled right off the lower arms during photography :-/

Batman is one of my all-time favorite characters, so a Megabloks version was inevitable. Didn't exactly plan for it to take as long as it did, but I'm extremely happy with the result.

Bats is a Megabloks base (the new buck produced for the Foot Soldier), with a DC Mighty Mini head, and various bits for the hands and feet, topped off with a cape/"skirt" from Darth Vader. I managed to luck out last night (literally) and find the more realistic "Batfleck" Mighty Minis figure to finally complete the figure. Up until then, I'd been using the cartoony first series Batman head as a place holder.

The Batman kicks off a new MegaMonday theme for March, to celebrate the release of Dawn of Justice:

DC COMICS!!

…This time, however, there will be no delays. I've already got pieces to complete the month pretty much ready-to-go.

Might even have a few surprises up my sleeve, since I never know when the muse will strike. Why, last week I found myself in Marvel's Silver Age again. Just gonna have to see who I brought back with me :twisted:

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: MEGAMONDAY RETURNS!! PG. 18
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:23 pm 

AdrienVeidt wrote:
I just know you're waiting for the April figure to hit so you can put Cortana's head on her to make movie Liz Sherman. I'm on to you, man!

BPRD reinforcements are planned. Will Liz be among them? As soon as a viable female Megabloks body is readily available!

Suntzu wrote:
As the song goes " ...take your time do it right..."

I've been looking forward to your next custom though. Make a space pilot at some point ....

Ol' Batsy took longer than initially planned or intended, but I literally found the DC Mighty Minis Batfleck head I'd been waiting on last night while on an outing with the missus. Also took some time to mod the limbs a little bit. I guess he's not a "true" Megabloks-scale creation, since he has extended limbs to give him more of a Miller DKR Batman feel (similar to what I did with my sci-fi character Ace Raygun).

I've continued to refine the technique with my follow-up DC figures. Don't want to reveal too much, but I've got two more heroes on the way, as well as two rogues (one 95% done, the other about 50%), with many more planned and in various states of completion.

After this month, I'll be switching themes again. Oddly enough, a space pilot is planned. Hopefully I'll have something ready soon...

indrox1 wrote:
Love them all. Man you are nailing these and at such a small scale... Amazing!

Thank you dude! I'm REALLY into this new scale, and have been finding myself piecing a bunch of stuff together; WAYYYY more than 1:18 or any other scale right now, really. I feel like when I first started customizing as a kid. Hope you guys dig the new stuff…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:47 pm 

mini masterpiece Mondays!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:17 am 
HATES Mattel

Bat-DAMN. The characters to follow him are obvious, but I hope Cmsr Gordon is amongst them. With the plethora of CoD accessories available, you should be able to do a very nice 'hostage negotiation field ops' figure of him if you can find a head you like.

And with Halo bucks, Mr Freeze should be easy and awesome, too!

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: MEGABLOKS BATMAN PG. 18
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:35 am 

Ahh Bats. There must always be at least one Batman in a figure collection . I can accept him in MB scale :D Where are the hands from?

This is why i was beating the drum so hard regarding "shirtless torso's / muscular torso's" . Once Mega provided those the superhero custom floodgates would open. The foot soldier bodies were exactly what the doctor ordered (no pun intended lol).

I'm not sure how else to say this but there is something really "pure" and "classic" about MB customs using the new bodies . It must be the simplified construction despite the stellar articulation for the scale that makes me feel that way. Perhaps the easy disassembly?

I've got some wacky items done myself (non figure items but in MB scale) that i'm putting the finishing touches on .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:45 pm 

Suntzu wrote:
Ahh Bats. There must always be at least one Batman in a figure collection . I can accept him in MB scale :D Where are the hands from?

This is why i was beating the drum so hard regarding "shirtless torso's / muscular torso's" . Once Mega provided those the superhero custom floodgates would open. The foot soldier bodies were exactly what the doctor ordered (no pun intended lol).

I'm not sure how else to say this but there is something really "pure" and "classic" about MB customs using the new bodies . It must be the simplified construction despite the stellar articulation for the scale that makes me feel that way. Perhaps the easy disassembly?

I've got some wacky items done myself (non figure items but in MB scale) that i'm putting the finishing touches on .

The hands are from one of the Avengers 2.5" figures, but I don't remember which one. Most of them have one closed fist and one grasping hand, but it was a figure that had two grasping hands… Fury, maybe?

Agreed about the purity and "classic-ness" of the Megabloks stuff, especially since Call of Duty launched. I LOVE that Mattel got smart and realized that there was no beating LEGO at the brick game. Now, their mini figures? They saw the niche, dropped the blockiness, and ran with it. CoD was awesome. Assassin's Creed, while not my thing, resulted in some fantastic, more streamlined figures AND interesting builds (Da Vinci's Flyer, anyone?). TMNT Classics is a new high-water mark, to be completely honest… if I was a little kid now, I would be ALL ABOUT Megabloks more than any other toy line.

I have to confess, though, that I now find myself spending the time in the Megabloks section that I used to kill in the GI Joe/Superhero aisles. Hasbro needs to seriously get their crap together and seize this market while it's still hot. I mean, damn, even McFarlane is in the game and producing some of the best playsets EVER in this scale…

Back to how rad the MB bodies are:

I REALLY like how small they are and how they pop apart (and together) with ease. They Dremel, prime, and paint amazingly, and I find myself completing projects in days rather than weeks/months (well, except for Batman… I was a bit obsessive with finding the right parts). The customs just come together faster now, and once I see how cool something's looking, I REALLY bust ass to get it finished and ready to photograph.

Looking forward to your customs, sir-- customizing these little dudes may lead to a crack-like addiction...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:17 pm 
Plug
Plug

Nice, I'll be tuning in for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:37 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
mini masterpiece Mondays!

Thank you sir! Got a feeling March is going to be busy. May have just scored a treasure trove of figure fodder...

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Bat-DAMN. The characters to follow him are obvious, but I hope Cmsr Gordon is amongst them. With the plethora of CoD accessories available, you should be able to do a very nice 'hostage negotiation field ops' figure of him if you can find a head you like.

And with Halo bucks, Mr Freeze should be easy and awesome, too!

Gotta have a Gordon!

Right now I've been working my way through some of Batsy's rogues, as well as one hero primed, waiting for paint. Been keeping an eye out for good heads for Gordon, as well as GCPD SWAT...

Mr. Freeze, eh?

:shifty:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

pluv wrote:
Nice, I'll be tuning in for sure.

While doing some Spring Cleaning around The Lab, I discovered pieces from a late, lamented 1:18 scale dream project diorama... started messing around with parts and found a layout I really like, so things just got very, very interesting.

Keep it locked...

Post subject: STRANGE LABS: MEGABLOKS POWER ARMOR PG. 18
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:37 am 

Well howdy!

Things have been slowly bubbling up at The Lab, and now returning to a more regular pace after I was experiencing pain in my painting hand/wrist (now cleared up).

Been stockpiling for a while now, but the muse led me where it did... totally away from comics/DC Mega Bloks (just my luck). Instead, I worked on this little guy and a bunch of friends:

He's a Mega Bloks Call of Duty astronaut with armor from a LEGO diver and head from a 2" Walking Dead McFarlane figure I had left over from another project.

I've created untold variations of this armor in scores of scales, but now I think I'm finally onto something...

More stuff coming, but please forgive how scatter-brained it might be. Worked on a bunch of different, random minifigures the past couple months, while recuping...

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:13 am 

For some reason this makes me think of Wheeled Warriors ( i think it's the head choice)..

This guy needs space vehicle .

Nice work .

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:45 am 
HATES Mattel

You don't name him, but is that not meant to be Countdown? I would suggest painting the gloves a metal color to make them look like oversized mecha-workgloves, and trim out the inside rim of the helmet where the faceplate attaches, but he's pretty keen otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:25 pm 

Suntzu wrote:
For some reason this makes me think of Wheeled Warriors ( i think it's the head choice)..

This guy needs space vehicle .

Nice work .

Thank you so much, good sir!

Man, I haven't seen Wheeled Warriors since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I do recall it being an obsession, and the real toys being a huge letdown. He also has a serious Starcom vibe, which was another childhood favorite.

This dude is a mish-mash of lots of influences (1950s-60s sci-fi, 1979 Alien, Star Wars), but with a heavy emphasis on Maschinen Krieger. I saw a model by Jason Eaton in this paint scheme that blew my f____ing mind, and have wanted my own version of it ever since.

AdrienVeidt wrote:
You don't name him, but is that not meant to be Countdown? I would suggest painting the gloves a metal color to make them look like oversized mecha-workgloves, and trim out the inside rim of the helmet where the faceplate attaches, but he's pretty keen otherwise.

AV! Thank you brotha! Those HACKS-based pieces have left me with my jaw on the floor and an itchy pre-order finger on the Bossfight Studios site.... but who can own just one 1:18 super-poseable skeleton? WHO?

The working codename for the armor is KODIAK.

The pilot's name & identity are a little complicated, but he's one of my main antagonists in my 'verse, and has gone by a lot of different names. Don't wanna spoil too much, but don't be surprised if he makes another appearance towards the end of the year...

Funny you mention the GI JOE connection. I've been finding myself looking at the Call of Duty stuff and getting the "craving" to make some of my favorite Joes & Cobras in this new 2-2.5" scale... *cough*hit&runtunnelratsnakeeyesstalkerfireflywetsuit*cough*

:shifty:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:30 am 

One of my favorite shots from this weekend.

This was a proof-of-concept shoot for something I'm planning, and it exceeded my expectations. Experimented with some new ways of working that should allow me to do some really cool stuff.

Very excited for you guys to see.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])