Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:52 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: MEGABLOKS ARCTIC POWER ARMOR PG. 18
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:33 pm 

the realism you captured in that shot...in that scale.....is just amazing !!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:38 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

another cool addition (see what I did there?), but I sure hope we don't lose you to that scale completely!!!

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:10 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

I think these are pretty amazing.

And the fact that you are capturing such detail at such a small scale is sure to subtly improve your already solid skills at the 1:18 size. It's a win-win.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:21 am 

2DARK2C wrote:
the realism you captured in that shot...in that scale.....is just amazing !!

Thank you! I attribute it to a gorgeous background I found and some strategically-used filters. Oh, and I borrowed the missus' camera, which is a gazillion times better.

drbindy wrote:
another cool addition (see what I did there?), but I sure hope we don't lose you to that scale completely!!!

No worries about that, good Doctor! Working on a large-scale (literally & figuratively speaking) project that has already seen my return to 1:18, and now 6" scale (it's been a minute with that one). Once I finish some pieces, I'll be doing tons of proof-of-concept that I'll be posting here. Actually, this little dude is probably going to end up playing an integral role...

Spin Doctor wrote:
I think these are pretty amazing.

And the fact that you are capturing such detail at such a small scale is sure to subtly improve your already solid skills at the 1:18 size. It's a win-win.

Thank you good sir! It's funny, because I feel I've come full-circle. Many of my early customizing attempts were at this scale, but based on the way-less articulated 2.5" die-cast Marvel figures. In retrospect, they were *terrible* and I decimated my collection of Marvel mini figures.

Post subject: GAMESTOP MEGABLOKS CAPT. REYES REPAINT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:44 pm 

Howdy!

Saw the Gamestop MB figure in the Megabloks thread and had to pick one up. Gotta love that clear visor!

Dug the original figure design so much that I just wanted to keep it intact, but with a new colorway. The figure is almost 100% a repaint.

Switched out the chest armor to a lookalike from HALO, but needed a slightly thinner torso, so I grabbed a CoD diver chest. Everything else is the original figure.

Right now he's intended for a special project I'm working on, but I'm definitely planning on repainting a few more of this body. Need a stockpile of those heads & visors!

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: GAMESTOP MB CAPT. REYES REPAINT PG. 19
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:38 pm 

...and it ALSO strikes me as a character that would be in a forest like setting searching for the cure to a biological threat to humanity.

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: GAMESTOP MB CAPT. REYES REPAINT PG. 19
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:06 pm 

Suntzu wrote:
...and it ALSO strikes me as a character that would be in a forest like setting searching for the cure to a biological threat to humanity.

Hahaha, definitely!

One of the main reasons why I went with the orange color scheme first was because it can work in so many environments, from hazardous to deep sea (a la the LEGO diver he's loosely based on).

Lots of stories there...

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: 4" K-2SO REPAINT & REBUILD PG. 19
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:34 pm 

Fell in love with the 4" Rogue One K-2SO, so I bought an extra to customize. I was lucky enough to snag the only 6" K-2SO I saw on Force Friday, so I thought about maybe trying out a new colorway.

He was one of those projects done as a lark, to see just how much articulation I could add and how he might look with my Diaclone collection, so I got to work.

The custom itself is the 4" RO K-2SO figure with IG-86/88 pieces bashed on. While the articulation left a lot to be desired, at least what little there is is all ball joints.

More photos forthcoming.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:04 pm 

Had a lot of fun building this guy, but it was a ton of trial & error work, especially when it came to test-fitting the new articulation. I can see myself doing maybe one or two more, but I'm running low on donor droid bodies.

Don't have much of a backstory for him; kinda saw him as an exosuit for possible hazardous or harsh conditions. Also like the idea of it being my own take on Deep Six & Torpedo for Liberty 2198...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:05 pm 

iron giant :)

very nice custom and more excellent photography!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:56 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Looks good. The design isn't my cup of tea, but what you've done with it is great.

You've also convinced me to order a set of the Diaclone figures.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:23 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
iron giant :)

very nice custom and more excellent photography!

Thank you! Been experimenting a lot with old school ARAH color schemes on some projects I've been working on for some time. Wanted to do an '84 Deep Six-inspired piece for at least a year, but this is the first one actually completed.

Found some really interesting landscaping around The Lab, so I've been trying to take as many photos outside the studio as possible… really takes the pieces to a whole new level for me, and inspires a lot of improvised photo shoots. Found some great locations while scouting recently and I'm planning to do some photography this week if the weather permits.

EDIT: Was kicking around the idea of an Iron Giant as well, with this base figure, but part of me feels it might be better suited to the 6" black series figure, if I can ever find one at retail again. Couldn't bear to hack up the one in my collection. Been waiting for the right IG base figure to come along for years...

MarkM wrote:
Looks good. The design isn't my cup of tea, but what you've done with it is great.

You've also convinced me to order a set of the Diaclone figures.

Thank you Mark!

Man, I was a sucker for that design as soon as I saw it. I was like, "THAT! WHAT IS THAT?!? I NEED THAT!!"
The Missus is a patient, patient woman. Like a lot of collectors, while I appreciated the-- ahem-- vintage articulation homage, K-2SO is too cool to be a statue! One night, I just started cutting off pieces and grafting on new ones, and had almost everything roughed out by bed. The next day, the articulation was done. I love pieces that happen so fast.

Apologies in advance for the crack-like addiction you're about to enter with Dianauts.

Luckily the 8-pack of pilots and the small power suits have been announced and are on pre-order, in case you don't want to buy the giant mech too. If you do, there's the red & blue version (which comes with 4 figures, red & black-themed) and a gray color way that comes with 3 (yellow & black-themed). The 8-pack preview photo shows a combo of red, yellow, and black figures, but it's been the same (possible) placeholder preorder image for months. At the most recent toy shows, though, there's been a whole spectrum of suits.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:33 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Oh I can see the appeal of the design, just not for me. I will say I like it much more with your paint apps than without.

Yeah, I'm thinking bbts is getting a pre-order this week. I don't need the mechs but the figures will be great with some transformers.

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: PALOOKA POWER SUIT
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:44 am 

A concept years in the making, the PALOOKA power suit went through a number of iterations before I finally got to a Mega Blox base, believe it or not. The first prototypes were made from Dremeled down Minimates, and didn't progress past a few colorways.

Those prototypes sat untouched in one of my displays, until I used one I wasn't particularly attached to for fodder. The tiny head is from the original prototype minifigure (which itself is from a Micro Machines figurine).

Sometimes I'd stare at them in the display case and wonder what the design would look like if it was based on a MB body. A couple days later, I found out.

In addition to feeling the piece wasn't truly complete, I didn't know what the reaction would be to the tiny head with bubble helmet. After sharing via my Instagram feed, PALOOKA became one of my most liked photos.

He really is a Mega Blox body sanded down with a Micro Machines head with greeble bits added... heavy blatant, unapologetic homage to MK1 Iron Man (my favorite design).

Kinda see him as a combo of Iron Man and The Hulk... a power suit with a tiny pilot inside going on crazy-ass 60s-style Kirby adventures.

Don't be surprised if you see more of this little dude. I love him.

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABS: PALOOKA POWER SUIT PG. 19
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:20 am 

man that's teeny tiny! you keep pushing it and your going to be working in antman scale :) great pictures

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:52 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])