Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//DIANAUT JOKER & MEGA CONSTRUX MAN-BAT PG.
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:37 am 

Are the keepers/riders articulated at all?

At this point, I'll take any fodder I can get, I suppose. It would be nice to have some extra parts to bash onto Dianauts. I'm not too picky, haha.

When I posted Joker, I forgot to include one of my favorites (ironically):

The Clown Prince of Crime up to no good at one of Gotham's many abandoned factories...

Haven't even started my next Batman rogue because I've been hanging out with a new buddy. He's from New York; a real smart kid and all, but he doesn't shut up and he kinda bugs me sometimes... ;-)

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 am 

These are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:55 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

So is Spidey done yet?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:53 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

your Batman and Joker are forever changing the way I am viewing these figures. Is there enough fodder to steal from in that scale to world build characters though?

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 pm 

sgcaper wrote:
These are excellent.

Thank you! Had to do right by Man-Bat & The Joker! With Joker, it's more that there's a certain picture you have in mind when you think of him. There's not as much room for reinvention as other characters. Freeze, Clayface, and Croc can all work as large pieces... Joker? He HAD to be a Dianaut base. Wasn't going to work for me, otherwise. Spent a lot of time trying to really make him feel like Joker as soon as you see him. Thanks again!

MarkM wrote:
So is Spidey done yet?

Thought he was until I got him in front of my camera... something just looks off and I need to fix it. Should be done next couple days. In the meantime, I started screwing around and may have figured out clear bubble helmets for Dianauts. Proof-of-concept proto is done and looks dope. Maybe I'll knock out a quick photoshoot after dinner...

drbindy wrote:
your Batman and Joker are forever changing the way I am viewing these figures. Is there enough fodder to steal from in that scale to world build characters though?

Thank you! Soon as I had them in hand, I started brainstorming what they could be without realizing certain limitations (range of motion, small/thin plastic, fragility, etc.)

Joker was really the learning curve. Now I understand how well they take Dremeling, sanding, painting, etc. Batman was honestly almost a repaint in comparison. Spider-Man just elevated what I learned from Joker, which I would consider more challenging.

Even when customizing Dianauts, it seems like the "if it looks like it will work" rule that applies to compatible playsets, vehicles, etc. also applies to fodder.

You'd be amazed at the number of micro figures that you can bash onto these guys to yield new characters. Not precise by any means, but Action Fleet, Micro Machines, random pack-in figures, PVC figurines, smaller 1/72 scale model heads, etc. work, though I end up eyeballing EVERYTHING and really looking at the pieces (even photograph them) to make sure they appear as intended.

Heroclix generally run too big, though, the smaller the head, the better.

As I figure out the new scale and the quirks of the figures themselves, I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what can be done with these. Every new Dianaut custom is an evolution for me, and now I feel I have enough of an understanding to start doing some real fun stuff.

After certain superheroes/villains and some original concepts I have, I have no idea where to go with customizing Dianauts, though. I REALLY don't see myself converting ALL my customs/collection to this scale; just for special pieces.

At that point, selling custom painted Dianauts wouldn't be out of the question. Hmmm.

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//New Adventures In Sci-Fi PG. 31//
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:08 pm 

Had my eye on the Galactic Heroes Rebels Ghost for about 6 months, ever since I saw Dianauts in the ship on Instagram. Knew I had to jump on it when Toys R Us dropped the price to $19.99 from $30.

In the meantime, I started designing and building a sci-fi crew:

Who knows what zany adventures they'll find themselves in!

Just a quick snapshot of what I've been building recently; wanted a test shot with the ship to get a feel for what I want to do... A LOT more planned, some things in-progress. It's a big galaxy.

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//QUICK UPDATE: NEW ADVENTURES IN SCI-FI PG
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:24 pm 

tuned in :)

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//SECURITY DRONE "MIKE"//PG31//
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:19 pm 

"MIKE"- SENTRY DRONE

So, for the past 6 weeks or so, I've been compulsively building sci-fi stuff for no apparent reason! My brain and hands seem content in their conspiracy, so I'll leave 'em be.

This is Mike.

He's a sentry/security drone and "doesn't take s___ off anybody," as my pops Big Daddy Strange likes to say.

He's Star Wars droid parts bashed onto a Mega Construx body, topped off with a modified drone head from an Iron Man drone figure from years ago. Made a different piece with this recipe for my job, and it got such a great reaction that I thought I'd make a new, different one.

Using this same, basic Chappie-inspired design, I've got a new colorways pending, all with various specialties. And some random aliens. And a space ship.

More to come!

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//SECURITY DRONE "MIKE" PG31//
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:05 pm 

very nice!

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//SECURITY DRONE "MIKE" PG31//
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 pm 
Plug
Plug

I love/hate getting stuck on a theme. Great basic the inspiration is fuel, but not being able to unsee, unthink things isn't always fun. This is is especially true when I should already be doing something else.

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//DIANAUT SUPERMAN PG. 31//
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:28 pm 

When I first completed Dianaut Batman, I briefly considered a Superman, but was so enthralled by Batsy's rogues in that scale that the idea sat way, way, way on the backburner. I even made Megabloks custom The Kryptonian-- inspired by Takara's Cyborg/Robot Superman-- to scratch the itch at one point... and that was it.

A tiny Superman sounded cool, but what parts would I use? MORE IMPORTANTLY, where the f___ was I going to get a Superman S shield that tiny?

It would take a miracle.

Sometimes cleaning your workbench and going through fodder is the miracle you need.

After discovering (and ordering) the AWESOME (but exclusive) Funko 3.75" First Appearance Superman figure, I started revisiting the idea of a Dianaut Superman... it was the vision of a tiny Supes zipping around and fighting a giant robot that sold me.

This inevitably led me to my beloved Fleischer Superman cartoons, which proved tremendously influential in these shots.

What I love about those shorts is just how crazy and futuristic and alien Superman is depicted. He fights Nazis and Japanese soldiers, but he also fights robots and monsters and all kinds of cool sci-fi, pulpy s___.

I wanted to do something different from the classic First Appearance costume, but also do a reworking of the Man of Steel costume, which I really like.

Rather than a skin-tight bodysuit, I liked the idea of Superman wearing the House of El battle armor, just as a warrior might wear, passed down over generations. Instead of something bulky and protective (like Kryptonian), I wanted a more form-fitting armor that would function more as a ceremonial/almost tribal purpose.

The figure is almost 100% repainted Dianaut, with very little modification. The head is from a 1:72 scale miniature, and the tiny S shield I found randomly in my fodder bin. Cut it off something years ago, just waiting to be applied to Supes.

Cutting loose and photographing this piece, inspired by those old school cartoons, has been an absolute blast.

Lots more Superman, sci-fi, and custom Dianaut stuff on the way...

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//DIANAUT SUPERMAN PG31//
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:38 pm 

as always way cool figure! your photography is so good!! some unbelievable realism in that tiny figure!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:57 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

I like that robot Mike. Colours and head remind me of HEAT Viper, but the combination of parts is wonderful!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:32 pm 
Plug
Plug

I like mini Supes fighting giant baddies so much. Brilliant idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

a pic of tiny superman holding something small and common would be a cool way to show his size. maybe a pill, coin ,thumb tack, or ?????

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])