Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//DIANAUT SUPERMAN PG31//
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:34 pm 

Howdy pardners!

Sorry for the delay in responses. The site loads weird on my phone (how I usually work), so my posting has dropped way off. Page works a lot better on my computer, so I might have to use both to keep the updates happening. Anywho:

pluv wrote:
I love/hate getting stuck on a theme. Great basic the inspiration is fuel, but not being able to unsee, unthink things isn't always fun. This is is especially true when I should already be doing something else.

In general, I love it. As I've gotten older and more understanding as a creative person, I've realized that it can be a steeping process for ideas. Some pieces need to remain concepts until they can be properly realized. Some other customs might need to happen to develop the technical ability to work on something else… I went slowly from 1:18 to Megabloks to Dianauts.

Completely understand getting stuck in a theme, style, etc. because I've been there many times, even with the best intentions. After working on something like Batman, you can't help but want to make other characters from his very, very deep gallery of rogues and supporting characters. Then that turns into photo shoots. Photo shoots need dioramas, but, like, new dioramas… then, suddenly you need a Batcave, and you're researching online at 3 AM looking at aquarium decorations, thinking "What am I missing? It's here. I know it."

It's weird, I've been noticing that after about 3 pieces of the same theme/style, I'll tend to jump to something else so I don't get bored. This happened with the Batman stuff, and is happening with the Dianaut pieces. I need to work on something totally different, just for a second. What's hard these days is when the concepts don't let me sleep. I've got some ARAH-based customs that just won't let me rest until I start working on them.

2DARK2C wrote:
as always way cool figure! your photography is so good!! some unbelievable realism in that tiny figure!

Thank you so much, man! Shooting in natural light is really what has stepped my game up. I'm using the same camera, using the same backgrounds/dioramas, etc. but shooting outside has been the one change that I've made that's resulted in tangible strides.

Learning Dianauts as well, and what works best. Been using some new fodder for the heads that's lightyears beyond the Micromachines stuff I was using before. Now I'm going to go back and fix those older customs (like the orange Dianaut w/ bubble helmet) with new fodder when I have the time… last night I made a breakthrough on that specific front. Sometimes I know when I've got something special, and I think you guys are gonna flip.

Tim 121RVC wrote:
I like that robot Mike. Colours and head remind me of HEAT Viper, but the combination of parts is wonderful!

Thank you dude! It started with my love of Chappie and designs for robots like him.

REALLY obsessed with the idea of drones wearing clothes, utilizing web gear, etc. Got an idea for something new that will explore the visual a little further, but, in the meantime, I got these Megabloks drone dudes (there are a few more on the way).

Mike's color scheme was influenced by Sci-Fi v1, and I just liked the concept of a gruff, bad-ass, tough-as-nails hacked military robot running security for a band of sci-fi mercenaries. So, that's who Mike is. He's a lovable grump who is realistic in every situation, and he's generally right... much to the chagrin of his crew.

pluv wrote:
I like mini Supes fighting giant baddies so much. Brilliant idea.

Thank you man! That's all the inspiration from the classic Superman cartoons and comics. I had to see that, before Superman became associated with being an all-American, apple pie-eating, flag-waving, borderline-jingoistic icon, he was an awesome, science fiction-based alien superhero.

Instead of being all uptight, emo, and butt-hurt all the time, he just needed to get back to fighting giant robots and alien goliaths.

2DARK2C wrote:
a pic of tiny superman holding something small and common would be a cool way to show his size. maybe a pill, coin ,thumb tack, or ?????

This I'll probably do for my next photo shoot with these little guys. Got a few Diaclone customs now that look cool together. I want to shoot them as a group, then with some Megabloks customs, then with 1:18 customs, etc.

As I expand my Instagram posts and look to add new, meaningful content during the week between major posts of my work, I've been looking at sharing more photos of the pieces in-progress, or scale comparisons with stuff on my workbench, just to give an idea of how small I've been working lately.

OH, P.S.: SPIDEY IS DONE. PICS SOON. :-D

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:00 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

2DARK2C wrote:
a pic of tiny superman holding something small and common would be a cool way to show his size. maybe a pill, coin ,thumb tack, or ?????

Are you just wanting to see how big (small?) these guys are compared to something relative? If so, here's one standing on a bottle cap:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:15 am 

Awesome work!

You need to get a shot of your DC universe at this scale so far!

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノGreat duos come in threes..

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//UPDATE 8/3/18//
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am 

Howdy buckaroos!

Been a minute!

Lots of stuff (good & bad) has happened, but I’ve been making a ton of toys.

This guy’s a new, unnamed piece. Went to Target and picked up some clearanced Mega Construx Destiny sets for fodder. When I got home, I realized someone had stolen the figure I wanted and swapped it with a previous-gen Spartan.

I snagged the last one, so I couldn’t exchange. And it wasn’t worth the trouble to return, so I made this guy.

REALLY back-logged with new work, so get ready for a deluge...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:50 pm 
Plug
Plug

What did you use for the capsule helmet?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:41 pm 

My plan is to sell some, so that’s a trade secret. Sorry, sir.

Post subject: Re: //STRANGE LABS//NEW WORK 8/3/18 PG. 32//
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:53 pm 

great to see you post...been awhile :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
great to see you post...been awhile :)

Thank you, man! Good to be seen again :)

It’s been a wild year.

Last August, my relationship of 5 years ended. Then Florida got hit, by, like, 7 quadrillion hurricanes and I had no power for a few weeks. Then I had a seizure in October, out of nowhere, with no history and (still) no explanation. Couldn’t drive for 7 months, ‘til finally getting cleared by my neurologist in June.

...Then my Grandmother was diagnosed with terminal cancer last month. She’s now in hospice at home after being in & out of the hospital for weeks.

BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE!

The stress of all this gave my Sister a seizure.

Did I mention she was about 8 months pregnant?

Her doctor saved her life and my Nephew’s life by having him delivered early, via C-section.

Thankfully, now, my Sister is out of the hospital and my Nephew is doing very well in the NICU and should be healthy enough to head home in a few weeks.

So, yeah.

That’s my life right now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 pm 

that is a lot. i'm really glad you are still around and staying strange :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])