Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: //STRANGELABS//MEGAMONDAY//PALOOKA MK1.5 PG 21
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm 

Loved the head I made for the YETI power suit so much that I thought I'd pop it on the original PALOOKA and snap some photos:

Exact same figure, just with the new head. Probably gonna go back and repaint it (it's from one of my original prototypes from 2+ years ago) and add it back...

Bigger project in mind for these guys. More to come.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//MEGAMONDAY//PALOOKA MK1.5 PG 21
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:59 am 

Once again an excellent TOY. It looks like something i'd have loved as a kid .

In fact....huh...it reminds me of those plastic non poseable astronauts from the 80's that came with a clear removable helmet . They were about the same size as non poseable little green army men .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:34 am 

Suntzu wrote:

In fact....huh...it reminds me of those plastic non poseable astronauts from the 80's that came with a clear removable helmet . They were about the same size as non poseable little green army men .

Thank you so much.

For me, that's what it's really about. Take away the personalities. Take away the backstories. Strip everything away 'til you get to the core of the toy-- is it "toyetic" enough? Can it just work on design alone?

If it gives me that feeling that toys I grew up with did, I know I'm in the right ballpark.

Vaguely remember the toys you speak of (I think). Sounds like a Ja-Ru astronaut, almost. As a kid, I went ape____ for any figure with a clear bubble helmet, so it's seared in there.

In addition to being an Iron Man Mk 1 homage, it's also a tip of the hat to artist Mars-1. Realized this the other night while looking at photos of his art toy minifigures...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:46 am 

Doctor Robert Strange wrote:
Suntzu wrote:

For me, that's what it's really about. Take away the personalities. Take away the backstories. Strip everything away 'til you get to the core of the toy-- is it "toyetic" enough? Can it just work on design alone?

That's truly the core of it. It's one of the reasons i've become so enamored with 2nd tier toy company product (like Hap-P-Kids toys). The non Hasbro and Mattels of the toy world often don't have the budget for more than the singular attractive figure / toy they've designed so it needs to resonate with a potential buyer immediately. The figure you'v made....imagine if it was sold at , say, Dollar Tree. Would someone buy it and a cheap 4x4 truck or single seat space ship that was in scale with it simply because of how the figure looked? Yeah. I think so. I would.

*imagines a single sided cardback with the slogan "Palooka MK1.5 - Future Space" *
That's almost as generic as it gets lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:07 pm 

Suntzu wrote:
That's truly the core of it. It's one of the reasons i've become so enamored with 2nd tier toy company product (like Hap-P-Kids toys). The non Hasbro and Mattels of the toy world often don't have the budget for more than the singular attractive figure / toy they've designed so it needs to resonate with a potential buyer immediately. The figure you'v made....

imagine if it was sold at , say, Dollar Tree. Would someone buy it and a cheap 4x4 truck or single seat space ship that was in scale with it simply because of how the figure looked? Yeah. I think so. I would.

Thank you again, so much. Definitely have imagined getting some minifigures of some form to retail. Could be Palooka, with some mods to the design. Now that I have some semblance of a direction I wanna go with the prototype... just might happen in 2017...

EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me and did some detective work to get a production quote. We'll see where it goes.

Also, got a new power suit ready... dove down deep for this one... photo shoot tomorrow...

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//MEGAMONDAY: MAKO POWER SUIT//
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:57 pm 

My GI JOE collection was very random as a kid.

I loved specific environments, so rather than the popular Joes (usually sold out anyway), I got into very particular characters. One of them was Deep Six.

Born & raised in Miami, I naturally loved any water toys, but especially divers and deep sea divers. I spent many an afternoon at the pool with my Deep Six and SHARC... if memory serves, I ended up buying more than one. It was always a dream to have an ARAH-style (poseable!) Deep Six... so I guess here's my riff!

Like previous versions of the suit, it's a mix of MegaConstrux Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed minifigures, a Micro Machine head figure head, GI Joe hand, and Star Wars droid claw.

Inspired by my dude AV, my customs share one, gigantic shared universe... I see my power armors as a next step up for a Dianaut to wear, before they decide on a more legit mech suit. Known for being a peaceful civilization, the Dianauts have exchanged ideas and technology with other like-minded alien races for centuries, resulting in groundbreaking innovation throughout the galaxy...

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//MEGAMONDAY//MAKO AQUATIC OPS SUIT PG 21/
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:13 pm 

Yep these toys are something I would have played with as a kid for sure. Great job!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:51 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Looks good but curse you! I just finished my MB Deep Six but like yours better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:15 pm 

another great big tiny work of art!

i'd love to see you make a shoe box dio in this scale. it would be like 2 city blocks :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 am 

The broken stalk to the right of the droid in the last pic looks like an alien life form with its mouth open . It even looks like it has little teeth ...

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//6" GIANT-SIZED PALOOKA ARMOR//
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:33 pm 

GIANT-SIZED PALOOKA 6" FIGURE

Planned for quite some time, but not successfully executed until now, here is a 1:18 scale PALOOKA power suit, which ends up being 6" tall. Nicknamed it MAGILLA.

He's a Marvel Legends Mk I Iron Man, with a 4" BBI head and plastic bubble from a Microman figure (from an abandoned project). The challenging part was finding a head that fit within the confines of the bubble... easier said than done.

This was my first completed 6" figure in quite some time. After working with teeny tiny Mega Construx, this was a fun challenge. Getting the plastic bubble and head to work were the real table-flipping aspects of the build, but it was worth it.

The chest does actually glow in the dark, just like the small-scale PALOOKAs.

More to come!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:52 pm 

indrox1 wrote:
Yep these toys are something I would have played with as a kid for sure. Great job!

Thank you Indrox! As a little guy, I was obsessed with tiny toys, and it still resonates in my work today. They all start with the fantastic Mega Construx line. If I was a kid now, I'd be insatiable.

MarkM wrote:
Looks good but curse you! I just finished my MB Deep Six but like yours better.

Aw man, thank you brotha!

Had to do Deep Six justice, so I knew this variant of the armor had to be special. It just might be my favorite...

2DARK2C wrote:
another great big tiny work of art!

i'd love to see you make a shoe box dio in this scale. it would be like 2 city blocks :)

Thank you 2DARK2C! These little dudes are so much fun to build that I can't help it!

More tiny power armors coming, just slightly different... new take and spin on them, courtesy of a random Dianaut-related tangent!

A couple dioramas have been planned. The roadblock is always that I start thinking too big and the modular playset I have in mind gets out-of-control... BUT I do have some fun stuff in mind for the near-future...

Suntzu wrote:
The broken stalk to the right of the droid in the last pic looks like an alien life form with its mouth open . It even looks like it has little teeth ...

Who said it isn't? :shifty:

Heeheehee

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//6" PALOOKA POWER SUIT PG. 21
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:22 pm 

love the 1:18 version! would go great in my verse against my villain DR. Goldfaust!

http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/customs_specific_item.php?kind=figure&uid=8325&id=15668

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:05 pm 
Plug
Plug

Oh that is a fun idea. Man these are getting me amped.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 pm 

Excellent! Really like what you're doing with all these.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])