Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: //STRANGE LABS//MEGABLOKS ROBOT MEDIC PG. 22//
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:49 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Oh, now that looks fantastic! What's the head from? It looks familiar, but I can't place it. I got my notice from BBTS that my Dianauts should be coming in in a few weeks, and these pics makes me excited about that, and gives me some ideas!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:55 pm 

The head is a Transformer I found in my travels that I stocked up on about a year back. They all went into the fodder bin, so I don't remember the name. Some kind of jet.

Been meaning to see how the Titans Return mini figure heads look bashed onto Mega Bloks... think I just might pay a visit to Toys R Us while The Missus is working late...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:45 pm 

my first thought was a transformer medic. I seem to remember one on the cartoon!

keep them coming :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:35 pm 

Ah ha! It's one of the legends seekers. Thought it was but the size was hard to judge. Did you have to mod it any?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 am 

Years ago before Mega Bloks released figures with the new articulation i had thoughts of doing the same thing. I went so far as to make a tiny head mold of the Legends Class Starscream from the ...Reveal The Shield (?) line (along with a few other legends class head molds)...so that I'd have extra heads on hand whenever i needed them for future mega bloks transformers hybrids. The only thing available at that time from Mega in my area was the Pyrates (?) line and the King Arthur line. I bashed a robot together using the ball and socket joints but my OCD wouldnt allow me to be happy with the lack of swivel biceps (or the width of the shoulders due to ball and sockets). I ended up making said swivel biceps on my own but i look at what Mega Bloks offers now and ...

It's freaking great. That bot is , more or less, what i wanted back in 2010/2011 . Every time i think i might want to embrace another line i see things like this or think about customs i wanted in this scale and i'm drawn back .

Effing excellent toys these are.

I can't wait to have an excuse to go shopping soon. I hope the left over MB items that were partially on clearance have officially all hit clearance as i'm going to splurge.

BTW....i think we MB fans need a custom theme "contest" to get some of us off of our ass and customizing .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 am 

Suntzu wrote:

BTW....i think we MB fans need a custom theme "contest" to get some of us off of our ass and customizing .

Hey now, speak for yourself ;-) I've been customizing and just did an image dump this weekend. Finished up my '84 Joes and I've made a huge dent in the '85 run.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:31 pm 

Oh the shame ....

*sigh* i will make the time !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 am 

Chaps, thank you, thank you, thank you so much!

These pieces are near & dear to me, and really, really 80's.

More than *remembering* toys of my childhood, this run feels like I'm channeling my 7 year-old self. Got a few more of these to show, and they get more 80s with each new one, hahaha.

Mark, I didn't mod the head too much, but it's a b____ to get it out off the figure while keeping it intact. I modded each head to fit a Mega Bloks neckball, but the head's small, so there's not much room for error. I almost ruined each head by drilling too far or thinning the plastic too much.

I'll eventually make more of these little robot dudes, but in the meantime, I've been creating some villains for them to fight...

PS- A MEGABLOKS CUSTOM THINGEE WOULD BE COOL!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:25 am 

Don't know how you mod your heads, but depending on whether they're hard or soft plastic, I have two methods I use:
I use dremel bits, drill bits, and a pin vise or dremel on low speed

If soft/flexible plastic: Use 1/8" drill bit and dremel bur bit (not sure on size (it's imperial), but it's just slightly larger than the neck ball)
    1) Most important step for me -- measure for depth
      a) Hold head up to torso to see how high/low it needs to sit
      b) Hold each bit up to head and neck ball, so point is at the bottom of the head, marking where top of ball would be in the head
      c) Wrap tape around mark (or use tape to make mark) to set the stop point. You can also use collars for this, but they seem to get in the way sometimes.
    2) Use drill bit and drill to depth
    3) Force bur into head to depth, then twist it around to hollow out the head to fit the neck ball

If hard plastic: use drill bit (again, don't remember size, but it's imperial vs metric and just slightly larger than the neck ball)
    1) Measure for depth (same steps as #1 above, just with only the drill bit)
    2) Drill to depth
    3) (Optional, and I only do if the head seems too loose)
      a) Fill freshly drilled hole full of hot glue or UV resin (Bondic* or other "As Seen On TV" resin pen)
      b) Let glue cool down and solidify or hit resin with UV light for ~5 seconds
      c) The head is now full of softer material, so go through steps 1-3 for soft plastic above to get proper fit

* I swear by this stuff now. It's handy to work with, and since it doesn't cure until exposed to a strong UV source, you have a long work time. It's become my go-to for attaching small pieces together, because I can line them up perfectly instead of playing 'beat the clock' trying to line up before a glue sets. If you look at my Deep Six custom, it's actually how I made his helmet, and it's how I gave Short Fuze his glasses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:14 am 
HATES Mattel

Well, where'd you get the head and hands? How am I to steal the ever-lovin' crap out of the recipe if you don't tell us what it is?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:05 am 

Mark, thank you so much!

Part of the issue at the time I was working on hollowing out the heads was that I was sorta limited with the tools I had and the bits I was using. Just started using some awesome precision tips that have been great to work with on recent projects. Think I might have enough villains finished to begin posting them. Hmm... :whistling:

AV, the head is from a Transformer I picked up at some point in the last year. For these characters, I preferred the open face helmet design, but with Mega Bloks/Construx, if it eyeballs right and the silhouette looks good, you're golden.

The gloves are from a giant box of Warhammer/Space Marine parts/greebles my BFF Dave gave me last year. It's the gift that keeps on giving, and lemme tell ya, you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

Trying to map out who/what I want to post next.

Got more of these bot dudes, some bad guys, and even some unexpected heroic allies of the Dianauts...

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//GAR THE HUNTER PG 23//
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:41 pm 

Bounty hunters.

Boba Fett began my obsession as a toddler, and it's been a steady addiction ever since. And since around that same time, I've also had an endearing love of monsters, minions, and villains (MOTU gets credit for that one).

Gar The Hunter is my homage to all those influences:

He started life as a new HALO Mega Construx Brute armor, topped off with a Lizard head & hands from an old die-cast figure I'd been saving just for such an occasion.

Gar has one set of standard reptilian hands, but also a swappable, clawed power gauntlet:

Known for his ruthlessness and cold-blooded approach, no bounty is too big-- and no fee is too big-- for Gar. A reptilian bounty hunter from a harsh planet of super-predatory species, he stalks Dianauts not because of their value to their enemies, but for their taste...

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//GAR THE HUNTER PG. 23//
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:15 pm 

very cool! I get the homage vibe big time too. what's the tail?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:57 pm 

The tail was cut off a Bib Fortuna POTF2 figure I found in the fodder box. It's got basic swivel articulation to allow for different posing options.

He's got a serious Battle Beasts vibe happening, too, which is not accidental...

EDIT: Forgot to mention the power gauntlet is from a box of Warhammer/Space Marine parts my best friend gave me while cleaning out some storage.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:47 pm 

Battle Beasts... That's what the armoured CoD and Halo figures would be perfect for making them!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])