Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence by Bucky OB, Dusty79, GITrekker and m
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:31 pm 

I was hoping, and am very glad, that you are pleased, DotD. I really like your take on the Motor-Viper, and honestly wouldn't change a thing about him, and just the idea of the Cobra Air Crew was a good one.

I remembered that comic book story where the Joe pilots treated their ground crews like valued colleagues, and this Cobra Strato-Viper treated his ground crew like dirt. And in the end, they didn't maintain his plane very well and didn't do much to try to rescue him when he went down. I knew that even Cobra needed to change that attitude, if only because it'd get too expensive in planes and trained pilots.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:23 pm 

Now that everything's wrapped up on this project, I think it's fair to say that it's the most impressive large-scale custom project ever attempted. The scale of the effort is stunning, but it's the attention to detail in every facet of the execution that really sets it apart. The concept is close to my heart, too: I miss the excitement of finding that first smattering of new figures every January, of looking on the back of the package to see what else was coming, and of buying the first vehicle of the new year and seeing the catalog images.

The thing that really struck me about this project, and I hope this comes across as the compliment it's intended to be, is that I didn't love every single item, but that I would have been happy to get all of them. That's what really made it feel like a real extension of the line to me: there were always a few figures that weren't as appealing to me (and I think that's the case for all of us), but I still would have picked them up eventually because they all look like fun toys to own.

It's hard to pick favorites, because there's so much to love here, but here are a few things that stood out for me:

-Groundpounder: a really nice take on a more "realistic" soldier figure, while still retaining plenty of personality. I would have loved this figure.
-Stinkbug: this guy reminds me of a mid-period Joe figure in the best possible way. Interesting design and color scheme and a specialty that makes him very useful.
-Exo-Viper and Scramjet: another one that really feels like a Joe item. Great figure and a cool repurposing of a vehicle I never really had much use for.
-Bulkhead: exactly the kind of thing that made the ARAH line so great. A figure that really seems like a unique character, and one that I would have enjoyed having. I love everything about this guy.
-Recon Sled and Throttle: another awesome update of a vehicle that I never liked as a kid. This just looks like such a fun toy. The Throttle figure is excellent, too: a perfect combination of vehicle and driver.
-Scavenger: that collar is what really sells this guy. I love the design so much, and the fact that you actually tied his costume and look into the name of the vehicle is ridiculously cool.
-Crusher tank w/ General Warhorse: this would instantly become the best tank in the entire line. I love that you went small with it, but still found a way to make figures fit into it. And the Warhorse figure is fantastic: I really gravitate toward the older characters, so seeing a grizzled veteran Joe makes me very happy. Love the period-esque styling.
-Tango: it's a great-looking figure, but the thing that really sets it apart is how visually interesting it is. The color scheme and design are very unique, and this is another one that feels like a real Joe.
-Riff-Raff: just an insanely fun figure. The accessories are what really make this guy shine. Love the concept, love the execution.
-Wall Cloud: another fun-looking figure. Great design for this guy.
-Venom Chopper and Gyro-Viper: what's not to love? A large-scale Cobra helicopter would have been enough to get my attention, but the work that went into mounting that cockpit onto the base vehicle is beautiful. And I love the Gyro-Viper figure design anyway, so this guy is a perfect update.
-Jungle Fox with Skidmark and Hawk: one of my favorite vehicles from the ARAH line, and two outstanding customs. I love the design for Hawk: it's simple without being bland, and it fits well with the rest of the line. The Skidmark figure is great, as well. I would have been scrounging for Flag points for this one.
-Orca with Riptide and Broadside: as if anyone didn't love this. Just a stunningly awesome piece: a killer concept, executed perfectly. This vehicle would have felt right at home with the heyday of the line in '85 or so. I really like that it gets two crew members, too. I don't usually consider doing a straight rip-off of a custom for my own use, but I'm this close to buying one of those Playmobil ferries and getting to work. Amazing work on this one.

Congratulations to all involved on making something that'll be revisited and enjoyed for years!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 pm 

Thank you, sgartz, for your very kind words, and I'm sure everyone involved in all those customs appreciates your comments. For me, I think you summed up the spirit of Resurgence exceptionally well with this paragraph:

sgartz wrote:
I miss the excitement of finding that first smattering of new figures every January, of looking on the back of the package to see what else was coming, and of buying the first vehicle of the new year and seeing the catalog images.

You and me both -- and probably everybody on this board. I think that's one of the things that made this such a fun project to be a part of, and witness the reaction to it as it was posted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:51 pm 

Thanks for the kind words sgartz!

Reading that makes me believe that we accomplished our goal we were after!
I'm glad you took the time to break it down and tell me which ones you enjoyed the most and why. Thank you for doing that.

I'd also like to send a shout out to wowboy. I sent him a message about this, which was written way back in February in response to project new sculpt:

"I wonder if people are getting a bit bored by the modern joe line from a design perspective. It seems we either get figures based on 30 year old designs, bland movie figures that all look more similar than the O13, or figures that are slavishly based on modern warfighters and have little personality."

I bookmarked that and would re-read it whenever I was having doubts about a figure looking to "wacky" or "unrealistic".

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:04 am 

bucky wrote:
Thanks for the kind words sgartz!

Reading that makes me believe that we accomplished our goal we were after!
I'm glad you took the time to break it down and tell me which ones you enjoyed the most and why. Thank you for doing that.

I'd also like to send a shout out to wowboy. I sent him a message about this, which was written way back in February in response to project new sculpt:

"I wonder if people are getting a bit bored by the modern joe line from a design perspective. It seems we either get figures based on 30 year old designs, bland movie figures that all look more similar than the O13, or figures that are slavishly based on modern warfighters and have little personality."

I bookmarked that and would re-read it whenever I was having doubts about a figure looking to "wacky" or "unrealistic".

You know, that was one thing that really struck me about this project. Wowboy has a point -- the modern Joe line does seem to fit into the categories that he describes, which is not to say that there haven't been some cool entries along the way.

Now, admittedly, I have always been, and am still, first and foremost a RAH fan. That doesn't mean I don't think there hasn't been some cool stuff in the modern line. Certainly there has been.

But I really believe that Resurgence captured the spirit of the fun of the original line, and by that I mean what sgartz mentioned -- the fun of seeing new faces, new vehicles, and that catalog. Any of the characters developed for Resurgence would have readily found a home in the original run. I can readily see any of them -- Bulkhead, Stink Bug, Riff-Raff, Eagle Eye, whomever -- turning up in the 80's.

As far as "wacky" or "unrealistic", I think part of the fun was that G.I. Joe established itself well enough so that it didn't have to take itself entirely seriously all the time. There will always be those that think the original Real American Hero veered too far off course here or there, and perhaps it did at times, but I never thought it did so all that egregiously. And the modern line could stand to lighten up once in a while. Resurgence, among other achievements, proved that the modern-style figures could lighten up, have some "unrealistic" fun, and get away with it, and even bring back fond memories of the 80's in the process.

At the same time, it's admittedly not the 80's anymore, and the modern style format has established itself. So it only makes sense that this was the format under which this project would appear, since if it were to "actually" happen, it's how it would be presented.

So all the fun, anticipation, and new characters and vehicles that we enjoyed throughout the original line, in the modern day and style. Mission accomplished! :-D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:11 pm 

Awesome digital presentation!

http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/af217/lronWill/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:31 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Slow clap, gentlemen.

Great, GREAT work here on pretty much every aspect of the project.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:19 am 

Spin Doctor wrote:
Slow clap, gentlemen.

What spin said...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:39 am 

Wow! My first time in this thread. I can't believe all of the cool that is in here. The concept of the project is a great one. The customs are fantastic. But the presentation of it is the icing and my favorite part. Seeing that catolog of cool took me back 30 years. So cool. So fun! All the individual pics in the dio environments look right out of a commercial. I could hear that guys voice.

My favorite so far is Riff Raff. I am by no means done looking though. My favorite could change every time I look.

Thanks for sharing this!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:54 pm 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

Ruh Ro! The picture links are all broken!

- R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:49 pm 

Eek!

I'll update the contest thread to direct them to oreobuilders blog.

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:46 pm 
DarkJedi'd

The thing that I took from this thread is that I really like it when a small group of customizers decide to work together on a project.

With the amount of figures and vehicles produced, it almost feels like getting that first vehicle and finding the catalog inside showing all the new stuff coming out that year.

Call it nostalgia, call it a callback to childhood, thank you, guys...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])