Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence Day 31 - Catalogs, Fanfic and Closing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:58 pm 

Amazing project. DotD amazing additions.

So inspiring.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:08 pm 

DotD, awesome work.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:14 pm 

DotD, I hope you don't mind, I added them to the first post.

OB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 pm 

OreoBuilder wrote:
DotD, I hope you don't mind, I added them to the first post.

OB

Not at all, glad they're a welcome addition to the project. It's been a very inspirational month!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:16 pm 

Expect to add some file cards to some of these this weekend if I get the chance. I've already got some ideas on how to work that Motor-Viper into it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:24 pm 

I love everything that has been posted in this thread. Everyone involved in this deserves a standing ovation! I am sad to see this end and even sadder knowing that nothing as good as this is coming out from Hasbro anytime soon. I just got the SDCC Danger at the Dock set and I look at it and am under whelmed by it and would rather have any thing shown in this thread then what we got. Thank you guys for doing this and keeping the spirit of Joe alive!

Rock Sugar
Because Pop Rocks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

The like button isn't a feature anymore but I'd be clicking lots of likes if it were. Lots of great stuff. I got to see some of it early with the very small contribution I did, so I tried not to post until the end so I didn't speak out of turn, hehe! It's a real awesome project over all. Lots of items I wouldn't mind in my own collection if these were to be retail. Top this off with a cartoon and this very well could easily create a resurgence to the GIJoe line!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:04 pm 

This was absolutely amazing.

I was discussing with rescuer, what do these types if projects get labelled as?
They are so much more than a custom.
Super collaboration projects?
Whatever we end up calling them, I love them and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for making me feel like a 13 year old again when pulled out that new vehicle with the new pack in phamplet.
Great job team resurgence.

25th Serpentor / ROC Speed Metal

"You can't re-schedule scheduled maintenance that's been scheduled!" - Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 pm 

So, I had something that I thought was pretty funny happen this afternoon. I've been printing the pictures of this project, and with it completed today, I printed the "Resurgence" logo onto card stock for a cover, and spiral-bound it.

A friend of mine visited today. He's a fan of action figures, and likes G.I. Joe, but he doesn't really spend a lot of time on message boards like this. He saw my "Resurgence" book and started paging through it. And his eyes went wide and his jaw practically dropped open. He also knows that I have quite a history with G.I. Joe, including a bit of direct involvement in 1997-98.

And he said, "Dude, I can't believe this! Hasbro hasn't said a WORD about this! Not even at ComiCon! How did you get this?! This is so awesome! They're finally going to bring it back right! I can't wait for this to come out!"

Desperately trying to keep a straight face, I told him that this was a custom project, and that I'd written a number of the file cards. They weren't toys that were actually coming out -- unfortunately.

He gave me a dirty look. "Bull****! What, are you under some sort of gag order? I wasn't supposed to see this, was I? It's all classified until they announce it! Look, I'm not going to tell anybody!"

Again, I explained that it was a custom project involving a number of very talented people.

Again, he refused to believe me. "Come on! Look at this! You've got file cards, package designs, catalog layouts -- look at these pictures! It's like right out of the 80's! I'm supposed to believe these figures are customs!? Come on, they've even got some awesome repaints in here!" (Thanks, DanOfTheDead...)

I finally showed him JoeCustoms. And he STILL needed some convincing. And then, of course, he was upset that they WEREN'T coming to the stores. I'll spare you his rather harsh language on that, and he finished with, "I should've figured it was too good to be true. Hasbro just oughtta hand G.I. Joe off to you guys, and then make what you tell them to, and hope the stores have the sense to carry it."

What could I say? I agree with him. But it was still a pretty funny moment, and in its own way, certainly very complimentary of this project.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:43 am 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

Binding together and create a GIJoe compatible toy line complete with media, packaging, and catalog inserts! Off to Kickstarter we go, hehe.

Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence by Bucky OB, Dusty79, GITrekker and m
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 am 

Glad that I was asked to contribute to the project. The catalog was a blast to do, but it wouldn't have worked without the awesome dio shots. I researched every catalog from G.I. Joe and really looked for something that hit the nostalgia button of being 6 years old looking at the catalogs for the figures that I just had to have.

An epic scaled project, no doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 pm 

Filecards for DotD's repaints are now on the first page, courtesy of GITrekker!

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:11 pm 

Thanks for getting those posted in the proper spot for me, Bucky. I hope everyone enjoys them. I enjoyed having a bit more writing fun with this project, and DotD's digital repaints presented me with some interesting challenges.

I decided to give the cards a sort of yellow-gold background, since I hadn't used that color, and it was a color used a couple of times in the original line (Tiger Force, Python Patrol, Night Force), and I wanted to set these figures apart as the distinct seven-pack that DanOfTheDead had in mind. I can see this being something that Amazon might offer.

And I hope DanOfTheDead likes the cards I came up with, as well! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:34 pm 

If I haven't said it enough, which I feel like I have not, a HUGE thank you to the collaborators for Resurgence:
GITrekker, for nailing the 80's vibe with his filecards. Very professional, and a pleasure to work with.
J_Man, for coming up with the Mail Away catalog, which screamed vintage when you see it!
Matthew (Mayor) Ditto, the catalog here reminded me of opening up a vehicle, and the first thing out of the box as a child was the catalog, not the figure or vehicle itself. Awesome work.
Sam Panico, who liked what he saw on Generalsjoes.com, and got in contact with us asking if he could do some mock package work. I said sure, show me what you are thinking of! Blown Away. I hope he joins the forums at some point.
Justin (Generalsjoes.com), who took the time to write out some awesome filecards (my favorite was Glitch) in the middle of putting the final touches on his massive dio story.
Patrick Stewart, who talked with me very early on in the project about what made each Joe and Cobra stand out in the year they were released, and gave very sound advice on colors. GI Joe is colorful, and imaginative. That's what got our attention as kids, and as much awesome as the uber realistic Joe customs look, they are not going to capture the spirit of the Arah era.
Kirk Bozigian (I can't believe he even responded to me when Icontacted him, even if it was a brief insight of history, he actually talked to me! Nerdgasm.)

And of course, Oreobuilder and Dusty79! For answering back about 1000 emails back and forth since Laste December. Great guys to work with. Looking forward to doing more fun stuff in the future.

and a great big man hug to all the members who followed along and gave us critiques!! Critiques are essential to getting better at the hobby, and constructive ones are always most welcome! I've said it to others before in person, but Joecustoms is my online home(page), and it was a pleasure to do this project and help promote our hobby.

oh, and go RED LASERS!

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 pm 

Man, those file cards make me like the ones I felt were almost just filler in the Repaint Pack a LOT more. I wasn't sure the Motor-Viper and Cobra Air Crew came out very well, but the cards do a good job of making them convincing offerings. Very cool of you to give them the official treatment, Trekker! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])