Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: GI Joe: Resurgence by Bucky, OB and Dusty 79
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:52 am 

Day 2:

Today's filecards are brought to you by GITrekker!

StinkBug– Single Card 7.99$ MSRP

From the desk of Bucky:
StinkBug was one of the first 5, and was originally going to be a viper, the stink viper. I'm not sure why, but I decided at some point to make him a unique cobra trooper. I tried my best to mod the vest and helmet piece to get away from the hazard viper look, and GITrekker's filecard really helped give him personality to make him stand out a bit. He was a fun figure to build.

Splashdown – Single Card 7.99$ MSRP

From the desk of Oreobuilder:
The GI Joe tapestry has always had strong sci-fi threads. The team got its first astronaut in 1987 with Payload and got a few more members along the way. Still, since the ‘90s, there have been few, if any, astronauts added to the team. The initial intention of this figure, back when this line was still ‘’Project 96’’, was to add a realistic Astronaut to the Star Brigade sub-team. He started his life as a Data-Viper repaint with Iron Man gear, but when I saw Mr Freeze on store pegs, I picked one up right away and changed him into Splashdown.

Day 1:
Groundpounder – Single Card 7.99$ MSRP

Filecard by GITrekker!

From the desk of Oreobuilder:
Like a lot of other figures and vehicles in this project, Groundpounder was a character that I had thought up a long time ago. One of my favorite aspects of GI Joe, and what attracted me to the original toy line in ’82 was the ‘’little green soldier’’ feel of the figures. When Bucky suggested we reboot GI Joe our way, Groundpounder was one of the first characters I thought of, even if I didn’t know what he looked like yet. I wanted to convey the idea of a modern member of the original 13 so, he ended up being mostly an Ultimate Duke repaint.

Monarch – Single Card 7.99$ MSRP

Filecard by Justin ''General Hawk'' Bell

From the desk of Bucky:
Monarch was slated to be a redone custom of a character from a long time ago that was on the bivouac, name General Helmsley. I bought the torso from angel forge with the idea of going back and updating old customs for the "Way Back Wednesday" idea that was hatched from the custom celebration. That concept didn't really catch on, so I transferred the look from the figure to this project, and used the name from another older figure on the bivouac that I had submitted. I wanted him to be a backstabbing s.o.b., and Justin (generalsjoes.com) came up with the bio for him, tying him into Cobra's past in a way I would have never imagined.

Day 0:

It’s funny how the creative process works. Sometimes, you start off with something, an idea and through brainstorming, playing with fodder and working with a creative partner, the original idea organically morphs into something new. This project started out very differently than where it ended up. When we were wrapping up Project New Sculpt, Bucky started talking to me about a project that he had been thinking about for a long time.

As most Joe fans know, the original ARAH line ended in 1994 and GI Joe disappeared from store shelves for three years. Most of us have probably seen the concept sketches for the 1995 Battle Corps Rangers line and wondered what GI Joe would have looked like if it had not been cancelled. So why am I giving this brief history lesson?

Bucky’s original idea was called ‘’Project 96’’. The basic premise was hypothetical: What if GI Joe’s 1995 toy line had been released and been popular enough to stop the franchise’s decline? What would the 1996 line have looked like? We started from there.

We set about creating our own toy line for GI Joe. After some brainstorming, some initial painting and consulting a few people outside of the project, we realized that creating a whole 1996 line in modern era format was counter-intuitive. We decided to reboot GI Joe for 2015 instead and GI Joe: Resurgence came about. As we reveal the project, some traces of the former Project 96 are still evident in some of the characters choices, paint colors and general themes.

Although the project evolved since we started in March, our original intention has remained the same: We wanted to create a rebooted version of GI Joe our own way using most of the elements that have made us fans.

New characters mixed with old favorites
Military feel with some sci-fi/fantasy elements
A variety of cool vehicles
A strong sense of nostalgia

Since we don’t know what, if anything, Hasbro has planned for our favorite brand. Bucky, Dusty79 and myself decided to show off our view of what GI Joe could be. We were helped along the way by many others: Patrick ‘’Notpicard’’ Stewart, Justin ‘’General Hawk’’ Bell, Mayor, GITrekker and, of course, Kirk Bozigian. This project would not have been possible without their help, time, effort and input. Thanks guys!

We’ll be rolling out our complete line-up during the whole month of July. Sit back, enjoy and comments are always welcome!

Bucky, Dusty79 and Oreobuilder

Last edited by OreoBuilder on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence by Bucky, OB and Dusty 79 - Day 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:54 pm 

Day 1 is up!

Special thanks to GITrekker and ''General Hawk'' Justin Bell for our first two filecards.

OB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:43 pm 
Plug
Plug

YAY!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:01 pm 

Watching the last project unfold, I don't think I truly appreciated the amount of work and collaboration that goes into this. Being a small part of this project to just help shoulder some of the load really opened my eyes to how much talent, thought, and effort these guys put into these projects. I am extremely impressed and am looking forward to this unfolding with a lot of anticipation. It was and is an honor to be a part of this.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:23 pm 

Awesome work so far! I am loving what I see in Ground Pounder and Monarch. Very cool ideas for characters as well. I have always looked at my own customs as a GI Joe 1996, and its so funny to see that I am not the only with that point of view.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:48 pm 

Loving these so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:09 pm 
Nanomite enhanced

Someone is really trying to dominate this thread! :)

Seriously though, great work so far, and I'm looking forward to more reveals!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:19 pm 

Very cool start... only disappointment is having to wait for more.

Nice work, everyone. I love that even the file card bios are collaborations.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 pm 

AWESOME!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:09 am 

great work on these.July will be a good month to watch Jcs

Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence by Bucky, OB and Dusty 79 - Day 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 am 

Thanks guys. Day 2 is up!

OB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:35 am 

Awesome Day Two Entries! These are both great ideas, and wonderfully executed. Stink Bug really looks like a natrual extention of a Toxo-Viper, which is great. At first I was going to suggest painting the details on the shoulder thingy, but it looks more "Production Quality" this way, which I believe is the intention so it makes sense as it is.
Splashdown is a great codename, and I really dig the design. I'm all for an expanded Star Brigade roster.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:03 pm 
DarkJedi'd

DanOfTheDead wrote:

I agree. Working with someone that has had official filecards published is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:46 pm 

DarkJedi wrote:
DanOfTheDead wrote:

I agree. Working with someone that has had official filecards published is pretty cool.

This totally. The level of collaboration on this project is beyond anything I've ever been a part of. Trekker and Justin did the filecards to inject life into all our unknown characters. Patrick Stewart and Kirk Bozigian consulted on the general direction of the project. Mayor and JMan are working on something special for the last day of reveals. Bucky, Dusty79 and I put together the customs.

I'll probably repeat this often during the month, but Bucky engineered the whole thing. He is too modest to take credit, but he had the initial idea, he reached out to get advice and to recruit the right people into the project and he coordinated the whole thing to the end (and is still working hard to finish everything before the end of the month).

OB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:20 pm 

How did you get the paint so clean and crisp on Splash Down? Is he spray painted?

Very cool characters, I think the decision to make Stink Bug a unique character was a good call.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])