Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence Day 28 - Jungle Fox w. Hawk and Skidm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:55 pm 

bucky wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts Trekker and Wowboy. The way you laid all that out is exactly how I wanted the project to look like to Joe fans in the end.

Not only did you succeed, you excelled -- and I maintain you've turned out the coolest G.I. Joe stuff I've seen planned for retail release (even if, tragically, this isn't) in years.

Or, for that matter, compared to a lot of other existing toy lines...

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence Day 29 - Cobra Commander & Duke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:26 pm 

While I know you guys did this project for fun and had no illusions about it's potential to be something that Hasbro would actually pay attention to and pick up, I have to ask; Did it whet your appetite to work on a fully fleshed out toyline? Would you ever want to take an original idea and give it this sort of treatment and even maybe make it available online?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:39 pm 
DarkJedi'd

Wowboy wrote:
Would you ever want to take an original idea and give it this sort of treatment and even maybe make it available online?

Something like my HeroMachine ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 pm 

Wowboy wrote:
While I know you guys did this project for fun and had no illusions about it's potential to be something that Hasbro would actually pay attention to and pick up, I have to ask; Did it whet your appetite to work on a fully fleshed out toyline? Would you ever want to take an original idea and give it this sort of treatment and even maybe make it available online?

I can't speak for Bucky and OreoBuilder, since I just did a fair number of the file cards, and had nothing directly to do with the figures or vehicles themselves, but I think this practically IS a fully fleshed-out toy line, at least as far as it goes -- which sadly isn't to your local toy departments.

Unfortunately, it just happens to be a toy line that we can't DO anything with beyond what's been done, of course.

In my estimation, though, there's a world of difference between doing a series of customs that are presented as if they were a full-fledged toy line, and trying to actually DO something like that. A series of customs doesn't require, for example, coming up with the production capital, contracting with a manufacturing facility (in China or wherever), sculpting prototypes, manufacturing the packaging, checking everything along the way to make sure that the production facilities are getting it right, and then trying to justify the cost vs. the probable sales of what would almost surely be a rather limited edition.

I think about what the Collectors' Club does with the Fan Subscription Service, and the Convention Sets. Now, say what you will about it, but they put a lot of effort into that, including new headsculpts, to try to create good modern likenesses of a lot of classic characters. And they have to come up with the package artwork, the file card, and everything else. And I think they do a very good job of it. But I also don't doubt there's a lot of headaches along the way. The Club, of course, needs Hasbro's approval to carry on with this, and with the Transformers counterpart, but even so, the Club, or Clubs, are not Hasbro. They're a much smaller operation, and in light of that, I think they do a remarkable job with what they deliver, given what they doubtless have to go through.

That said, I sure as heck wouldn't want to try it myself, even if I had the money to do it, which I most categorically do not. Whether Bucky or OreoBuilder have the resources or patience I cannot say, even to proceed with an entirely original, non-Joe concept.

In a perfect world, something like G.I. Joe: Resurgence would be coming to a store near you -- and in sufficient supply so that the scalpers couldn't spoil the fun for the rest of us. So far, I can honestly say, I haven't seen a single thing that I HAVEN'T liked -- and I can't remember the last time I said that about ANY toy line.

But as it stands, we'll just have to enjoy what's being presented here, as a sort of "What if" type of thing, which admittedly is a little sad, since it would be cool to own these figures and see them produced, but on the other hand, it's good to know that this sort of creativity, imagination, and talent is still alive and well in the G.I. Joe community, especially since those were some of the main factors -- as well as quality -- that brought me to G.I. Joe in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:33 am 

Wowboy, very interesting question. I'll have to mull that over a bit.

Day 30 is up with a new Foxtrot class vehicle - The GI Joe Orca Landing Craft. It includes 2 figures:

- Naval Commander Riptide
- Naval Gunner Broadside

Enjoy!

OB

Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence Day 30 - Orca w. Broadside and Riptid
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:12 am 

Man, that's a torpedo of awesome right down a kraken's gullet. Outstanding.

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 am 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

As a kid, I would have HAD to have the Orca. That is perfectly executed, and I absolutely love it. It's even better than the whale for "storming the beachhead" play.

Very impressive work.

- R

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:24 am 

When I saw the pictures of the Orca a while back, the first question I asked Bucky was -- "Where did THAT come from?!" I was stunned to learn that it was once a Playmobil vehicle. I knew they made some cool stuff, but to have something like this, that works as well as it does with G.I. Joe, a completely different type of toy line -- I was just amazed.

The file cards for Broadside and Riptide presented me with a challenge, in that I wanted them to represent the characters as well as the boat, and its function. But I am admittedly not a military expert. I sort of had to channel Larry Hama to the best of my ability, come up with some good personalities to the characters, and then try to remember the basics of any movie or historical documentary I'd ever seen on landing craft storming a beach, and go from there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:47 am 
Plug
Plug

The ORCA is stunning. Best vehicle from this project by far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:16 am 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

I actually sat up in my chair when I saw the first photo.

.truly.amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:21 am 

And he don't sit up in a chair for just anything.

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 am 

:wow: Have to agree with everyone else that I have to have the Orca. I have loved all the vehicles put up to this point, but absolutely by far the best vehicle from the project. :bow:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:47 pm 

When I saw this, even in its preliminary stages when I was brought on board well into the project, my jaw dropped. This is absolutely a genius custom.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:02 pm 

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys. The fact that the Crusher/Mobat fit in the hold of this thing is what sold me on doing this. It can also carry the AWE, Vamp with MMS, Wolverine and various other vehicles. Also, it floats and is compatible with Playmobil's underwater motor, so no problem playing in the pool :shifty:

OB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:15 am 

The thing FLOATS!? And has a motor capability? Whoa...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])