Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: GI Joe Resurgence II - Day 29
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 am 

Day 29:

''Cobra is back! ''Cobra Commander's plan to capture Duke has failed. GI Joe has rescued their first sergeant and destroyed Cobra's jungle fortress. Beaten, but not destroyed, Cobra has retreated to lick their wounds and plan their next move. To put his new plan into motion, Cobra Commander has recruited new agents and has unleashed them onto the battlefield!''

HISS Mk VI w. Sabot-Viper - Alpha Class vehicle
Cobra’s latest main battle tank is HISS, the high speed sentry. Canopy opens, tank body raises, and cannons swivel. Includes removable drones and driver SABOT-VIPER!

From the desk of Dusty79:
I was checking out the toy aisle at Target one day and came across a Star Wars Rebels Phantom Attack Shuttle and the artwork on the box screamed HISS tank to me. I took it home and popped it on some Crimson HISS treads and it looked like it had a lot of potential. A few mods later and it looks quite HISS like. The two drones are both made from the little mini-HISS tanks from Retaliation Firefly. They are meant to add some play value to the setup. The Sabot-Viper was made as a kind of homage to the original HISS driver design, but I wanted him to be more sophisticated and more specialized so he can efficiently disable GI Joe's vehicles and not just be another seemingly mindess trooper.

Parts used:

Sabot-Viper
Legs, Webgear-50th Night Viper
Torso, Upper Arms-POC Beachhead
Lower Arms-Retaliation 3-pack Snake Eyes with armor from POC Beachhead added
Head-30th Viper with helmet removed
Helmet-Star Wars Ezra helmet modded with 30th Night Viper scope added

HISS Mk VI
Star Wars Rebels Attack Shuttle
Crimson HISS treads
Retaliation HISS turret
Desert Fox Missiles attached to modded Tactical Battle Platform launcher
Halo gun
Cast Gatling gun barrels
Bits of fodder
Drones are made from Retaliation mini-HISS drones and fodder

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: GI Joe Resurgence II - Day 30
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 am 

Day 30:

"GI Joe has destroyed the SWARM forces and liberated the small town of Gold Springs, but Cobra Commander has not revealed his final plan. Blasting its way out of underground mines, the Cobra Anaconda Mobile Fortress takes to the battlefield! Will GI Joe defeat Cobra's most powerful weapon? Stay tuned next year for the epic conclusion of GI Joe Resurgence!''

Cobra Anaconda Mobile Fortress w. WORMs and Cobra Splitjaw Recon Bike w. Motor Viper - Foxtrot Class Vehicle
This tremendous, mobile, land based headquarters calls the shots during Cobra’s campaign against GI Joe! Detect incoming GI Joe forces from the radar station. Fire the artillery battery from the Command and Control station. Launch the Splitjaw Recon Bike for quick scouting missions. Features 4 realistic battle sounds! Includes 2 commanders WORMS and MOTOR VIPER!

From the desk of Oreobuilder:
Anaconda Mobile Fortress
Bucky suggested the build for the Anaconda at the very beginning of this project when we were still brainstorming ideas. It was a fun idea, but at the time, none of us had a Clone Turbo Tank to chop up. A few months later, as luck would have it, I was on vacation in Western Canada and spotted a beat up CTT at a local thrift store for 20$. I had no idea how I was going to bring it back with me on the plane, but I picked it up anyway. Fortunately, with some help from family and some suitcase packing gymnastics, I brought it home in one piece. It was missing a few pieces when I bought it. I scratch built a couple of doors, attached some new weapons and gave it the signature snake cockpit.

I decided to build the Anaconda late in the project. Although the Clone Turbo Tank I found at a thrift store was missing some parts, it did include the speeder bike. When I started working on it, the Speeder Bike had to be replaced with something else. I wanted to use the compartment to launch a recon vehicle of some kind, but the Speeder is too iconic to Star Wars to fit in the Joe-verse. At first, I thought of a Cobra Ferret, but decided to create something new that was more in tune with the look of the Turbo Tank. I had an incomplete Recon Sled in my fodder box, so I started there.

It seems like Motor Viper has been on my to-do list for a long time. Ever since the early days of the 25th, I’ve wanted a proper figure. Hasbro gave us something resembling it in the Rise of Cobra line with the Nitro-Viper. That figure was not bad, but it was not the vintage look that I wanted to include in my collection. Since we needed a driver for the Anaconda anyway, I figured it was a good opportunity to check the Motor Viper off my list.

Like Motor Viper, WORMS is another figure that I have had on my to-do list for a while. Since I don’t have the original figure, I picked up a helmet from AVAC’s Lab and started from there. I tried to replicate the original figure as best as I could. The Ultimate Cobra Commander torso and arms work pretty well in my opinion. Now that I have made one, I would like to make a couple more to crew my Maggot.

Anaconda:
All: Star Wars Clone Turbo Tank with added weapons and accessories

Splitjaw:
All: ARAH Recon Sled with added cannons on the front

WORMS:
Head, helmet: AVAC cast
Torso, arms: Ret Ultimate Cobra Commander
Legs: RoC Destro
Belt, harness: DG Cobra Commander

Motor Viper:
Head: Vintage Motor Viper
Vest: RoC Nitro-Viper cast
Torso, arms, upper legs: 25th Zartan
Lower legs: 25th Crimson Guard

Last edited by OreoBuilder on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GI Joe Resurgence II - Day 1: Strongarm, Landmine & Snif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:11 am 

We are under way. Enjoy!

OB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:29 pm 

Very nice. Really dig both.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:41 pm 

Nice start, both figures are well painted and the pics are nice too.Glad you guys are doing another month long series

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:24 pm 

Like them both, but Landmine is my favorite. I agree that the Joe team has needed a realistic-looking EOD forever, and this guy certainly fits the bill. Great blend of real-world and near future sci/fi.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:04 pm 

Year 2 is off to an amazing start. Strongarm makes a nice psuedo-replacement for Slaughter, fills the same role, still a very colorful character, but not quite as over the top as the Sarge.

Landmine and Sniffer are great. A solid real-world design that still looks like a fun figure.

Just a note, Strongarm's cardback seems to have Landmine's filecard text.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:05 pm 

DanOfTheDead wrote:

It's the rare variant cardback. :shifty:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 pm 

I'm really looking forward to this month, and heck, I wrote a lot, and designed all, of the file cards (file cards, not package cards). But -- I haven't seen most of the figures. So I'm definitely looking forward to putting faces to the profiles I've been writing. :)

And I definitely think we're off to a great start. Landmine is an excellent realistic type figure, and Strong Arm is outstanding!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:05 am 

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
DanOfTheDead wrote:

It's the rare variant cardback. :shifty:

Ha, there needs to be a "recalled" filecard for one of the Resurgence characters, like the early Major Bludd and Zartan filecards.

Also, whoever came up with the idea to add the Toy Soldiers tie-in to the file cards is brilliant. That's exactly the sort of thing the line needs to be doing. I don't think they need to be full on Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Amiibo's or whatever, but having the line tie into a digital presence would be great. Or it could be horrible, if executed wrong, but in the world where Resurgence is actually on the toy shelves, I'm sure whatever game/app the figures tied into would be amazing. Unlocking new unites for the upcoming Toy Soldiers game, as suggested, would be great.

Post subject: Re: GI Joe Resurgence II - Day 2: Kobura Kai
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:27 am 

Lol, in the mad dash to get everything set up in time, we missed that one. It probably won't be the last one.

For the Toy Soldiers, I believe it was Sam that included it on the packaging (Bucky, Sam or Raps, if I'm wrong about that, please feel free to correct me). We loved it too.

Day 2 is up with a new Cobra agent. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:07 am 

I had originally had an unlock code on Kobura Kai (and an upcoming figure, no spoilers) for the new GI Joe Strike game, when Raps suggested that we just make them for the Toy Soldiers game. To me, the future of action figures is not being able to figure out whether or not you bought the action figure for the game or the game for the action figure.

I could go on and on about the reasons for the packages, but I think people would rather just look at the figures!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:42 pm 

Kobura Kai is incredible! This was another one (like most of them) where I wrote the file card without really knowing what the figure would look like. But when you have a specialty like "Cobra Samurai", it comes together fairly well. Still, when I saw the figure this morning -- just amazing! Much like last year, one wishes for access for an alternate universe where these figures were made by Hasbro and available for all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:32 pm 

Having played around with this figure when I photographed it, I can say that KK is really fun. Bucky did a great job on this one. Samurais are not usually my thing, but I would definitely pick this up if it were ever offered. He makes a great adversary for Budo.

OB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:34 am 

Agreed, OB, the whole ninja/samurai thing got a bit overplayed in G.I. Joe in my opinion, but I look at Kobura Kai, and the coolness definitely outweighs any concerns I might have in that regard. And dangerous-looking? If I saw THAT coming at me yelling, "Cobraaaaa!" I think I'd quickly retreat into a corner and hope he really does have a sense of honor and will leave me alone and just do whatever he's there to do, because I'm sure not going to be crazy enough to pick a fight with him.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])