Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Mark's MegaBlok Makings Class of '86 on page 3 (01/14/2019)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:15 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Just a quickie I did today. Haven't had a lot of time to work on customs lately so I like the Mega Blok format for being able to put together a fast custom.

I saw this figure and immediately thought it had to be Rampart:

So I customized him into this (still working on some weaponry for him) :

Last edited by MarkM on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:52 am, edited 11 times in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Mega Blok Rampart
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:48 pm 

I hate to beat a dead horse but this is what Hasbro mini figures should have looked like . Mega bloks would be well served if they started naming their figures (although name protection cost money).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 pm 

Thanks. I finally looked at the pics on a PC and realized they're very washed out. I took them with my new phone and am still learning the settings. I have another I'll be making this weekend and when I take pics of it, I'll get better pics of Rampart.

As far as Rampart goes, he's all that figure from the UGV without the vest and leg strap. To make the hoodie, I cut a piece of paper towel to size then separated to a single ply. I then gave it a soaking of thinned down Modge Podge and glued it on place, shaping it before it dried. Once dry, I painted it. Also realized I forgot his mic so I'll add that before better pics, too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:39 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Looking good!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:48 pm 

Nice. That tank would be a good start/base for an armadillo.

25th Serpentor / ROC Speed Metal

"You can't re-schedule scheduled maintenance that's been scheduled!" - Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:59 am 

Yeah, I'm actually using it as an updated PACRAT but it could work as an Armadillo with some modding.

Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:49 pm 

Changed thread title to make this for all me MB customs. Some are super LBC and some have some work to them. First up Lowlight and Tripwire. Tripwire I've shown before but Lowlight is new. He's made using A Sigma 6 head.

Here are Destro and a Grenadier. Destro has some sculpting but mostly it's just paint on both.

Next is Cobra Commander, Scrap-Iron, and Crystal Ball. The first two I've shown before but CB is new. When I customize these figures, I don't say "I want to make figure X". I instead look at the parts or even whole figure and say "this looks like so and so". That's how Crystal Ball came about. I saw the Assassin's Creed figure and that's all I could think.
I sculpted his hair but the rest of the figure is factory.

Now is a Snow Serpent:

Repeating Rampart, with better pics and his mic is in place:

Wetsuit is a bit of a compromise. There really wasn't a way to make him look like the original. So I went with the CoD figure in RAH-ish colors.

Last is Rock and Roll and Roadblock, the heavy gunners. RnR is a mix of v1 and v2 with my own taste thrown in. RB is out of box. Not even any mixing and matching. I liked the figure as RB as-is is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 pm 

Just a quick post of a WIP. I found some Joe models on a printing site and downloaded them. I can't remember the creator's name but will post it when I find it to give him credit. They were designed to be printed for table top gaming, so I'm modifying them to be usable with Mega Blok figures. Right now, I just have a FANG finished and it still needs some cleanup.

The first two pics are as printed, before I had the tail done. This is actually the first print, which wound up about half the size it needed to be.

The rotor is movable, but does not spun freely. Not sure if I'm going to make it spin or not, since it's more for dio use. The missiles and belly bomb are not removable. I'm thinking I will change that before I print more.

You may have noticed in the previous pics that it was painted, actually sharpied, but there was a reason. I used heat sensitive plastic and wanted to see if it would show color change under paint or marker. It does, but I could not get it to show well on camera, so here are some pics of the plastic itself (the rotor is unpainted) since it does, I'm working on A Chameleon and will print another FANG, A Stinger, and a RAM in this plastic. No prize for guessing why. ;)

Last edited by MarkM on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings updated 1/4/16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:14 pm 

Cool! Can't wait for o see the Dreadnoks ;-)

OB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:48 pm 

Thanks! I actually ordered some UV-sensitive white to purple plastic today to play around with. Since that's more like the color change of the original Z-siblings and Dreadnok vehicles, I'm hoping it looks good enough to give me some Mega Blok versions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:54 pm 

Not really aware of this format, but some interesting figures here. Think my favourites are Roadblock and Rock n Roll.

Love that youre printing your own customs/ vehicles.

I wondered if anyone would start that. Do oyu have your own printer?

Thats some great work on the FANG. Cant wait to see the rest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:05 pm 

Thanks. I like the Mega Blok figures because they fit in 'close enough' to Masterpiece Transformers, so I can do TF/Joe crossover dios.

Yeah, I have my own printer, but I'd like to upgrade to a larger one. Mine is a couple years old now and while it was a decent size when I bought it, at 6"x6"x6" printing area, you can get printers that do 8" cubes or even 10-12" cubes for not much more. Something I'm toying with is printing molds instead of the items directly, then cleaning up the molds and casting them in aluminum, then using them with my injection molder. It would be a lot faster than printing pieces if I want multiples.

Sorry about the sidetrack, anyway, yeah, being able to print up whatever I can design myself or find online, even with the limitations of current printers, really opens up my customs. I'm able to make vehicles for the MB figures that are about 1/2 to 3/4 the original size of the vehicle and have it look much better than what my scratch-build abilities would give.

I hope to get more vehicles printed up this weekend! Unfortunately, it's a slow process, with the FANG taking about 24 hours to print all the parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:01 pm 

MarkM wrote:
Just a quick post of a WIP. I found some Joe models on a printing site and downloaded them. I can't remember the creator's name but will post it when I find it to give him credit.

Jabberwock is his tag name anyways..on Thingiverse ;-)
http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=gi+joe&sa=

The stuff looks great printed.. now just need to win that powerball lottery so I can get a 3d printer :shifty: :lol: :rotfl: :twisted:

[DESTRIN 41016] 2:29 pm: theyre comfortable
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:32 pm: thonnnngs.
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:34 pm: im wearing them right now lol
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:33 pm: i wear girl jeans. i have some girl hoodies also I wear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:25 am 

Cool thanks for that! I felt bad not giving him credit but couldn't remember which site that actually came from. I'd found them on one of the aggregator sites that searches multiple repositories and want paying attention. Looking at your link, I actually missed a couple of his models! Guy has some skill.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:43 am 

Watch out, Mega Blok GI Joe, looks like another enemy is after you!

Picked up some terminator sets off Amazon for cheap and had to turn them into Skeletrons:

http://imgur.com/a/kblXe

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])