Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:37 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings updated 2/28/16
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:04 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Snagged some of the new TMNT movie figures. Got Stealth Leo and had an immediate idea for a custom from him. Took lower legs from a Halo figure and crafted a spear from a hockey stick from Casey Jones.
And with that, I guess MOTU is now in my Megaverse, with Whiplash.
The tail is posable.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings updated 6/12/16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:49 pm 

Changing how I'm doing my MB Joe customs. I had been doing them based on who the MB parts reminded me of. I've decided to start doing them based on year. I am cheating a bit, so if a character had multiple figures, in not making all of them. I'm only making my preferred version. However, I'm displaying the character with his first year of appearance. Others, I'm making the character, but with my own spin on it.

Up first, the original thirteen. Scarlett is more tan than the pics look. Not sure why her uniform looks so white. She's also a place holder until I can get some good articulated female figures.

Rock n Roll (v2), Breaker, Clutch, General Hawk

Clutch, Grunt, Hawk, Snake-Eyes, Steeler

Hawk, Steeler, Snake-Eyes, Stalker, Scarlett, Short Fuse (still need a mortar for him)

Short Fuse, Grand Slam, Flash, Zap

Overhead

Overhead two

Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings updated 11/20/16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:11 pm 

Only got one done today -- Gung-Ho.
Torso, arms, vest are TMNT Bebop. Head, waist, backpack, and legs are CoD. Painted the torso flesh tone and the clothing a blue green. Added the tattoo them assembled. Difference between head and body isn't as noticeable in person as it is with the camera flash on it.

Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings updated 11/27/16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:06 pm 

I've been sick since Thursday, but I got a little bit of customizing done this weekend. GI Joe, class of '83:

Airborne, Doc, Snow Job -- Not too sure about the knife and grenade on Airborne. They're MB gear, so in scale for the figures, but they look a bit silly on the figure. They're not quite so bad in person, but they look terrible in pics. Doc is just a straight repaint, with the pill bottles glued onto his helmet. Snow Job, I cut off a cap, sculpted his hood, then painted the highlights/accessories on the figure.

Gung-Ho and Torpedo -- I already showed GH. Just a repaint/mash-up of Bebop and a CoD figure - painted him flesh-toned, painted on the tattoo, painted the vest and pants. Torpedo, like the Wetsuit I showed a while back, is a compromise. I might go for a more traditional Torpedo look, but for now, he's a CoD modern SEAL painted in Torpedo's pattern, with the air tank on his rebreather painted red to call back to the original toy

Shot of Airborne, Doc, Snow Job, Gung-Ho, Torpedo

Wild Bill, Covergirl, Ace, Tripwire -- Wild Bill is a factory body with customized head. I'm not really happy with the cowboy hat and may redo it. It's just too thick and clunky looking. Covergirl is a Halo Cortana with jacket and boots sculpted on. I glued ball joints sacrificed from another Halo figure in her arm sockets, so I could use some Halo arms I shaved down to be less bulky. CG is a mix of her original figure and other appearances. Ace is a Halo figure with a CoD head, with hoses and such sculpted onto the torso and bottom of armor trimmed off to look more like a flight suit. I was going for a mix of his original toy and his cartoon appearances. I think I'm going to add a hose from the mask to the box on his torso to tie it together better. Tripwire is just a lazy bashing of a couple different CoD figures to get closer to his original colors, while making him look more like a modern EOD guy.

Closer pics of WB, CG, and Ace

Closer (blurry) pics of Ace and TW. I just could not get the camera to focus in on them.

It's tricky finding heads in the MB lines that aren't wearing masks or sunglasses, so some figures have to have sacrifice made, like Gung-Ho, where he's wearing sunglasses when the original did not. The funny thing is, Doc was actually a figure that did not have glasses/sunglasses, so I sculpted them on. Then I got a MB set in the mail the next day, and it had a helmeted head wearing sunglasses that I could have used.

Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings Class of '83 on page 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:56 am 

That MOTU Whiplash is a nice stand in until the official line is released. Nice ( and inventive) work!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:50 am 

Thanks! I'm holding off on MOTU customs until I know if we're for sure getting MB MOTU, since I'd rather have figures that all match well. So for now, I'm focusing on my MB Joe line, although I'm still contemplating Mer-Man or Stinkor from one of the Destiny Fallen figures. Something that hit me the other day was how easy it would be to do a Modulok and Multi-Bot with MB parts -- here's hoping!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:01 pm 
Plug
Plug

Oh these are all fun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:29 pm 

pluv wrote:
Oh these are all fun.

Thanks. Airborne and Gung-Ho are my two favorites right now -- Airborne because I think I made the head look Native American without going 'red face' and GH because of the free-hand tattoo. I hope to have class of '84 up next week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:33 pm 

Class of '84 is done. First up, Cutter, DeepSix, and Thunder

I'm not super happy with D6's helmet, but it was the best I could come up with. Cutter is a repaint with sculpted life vest. Thunder is pretty much an LBC.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:03 pm 

'84 continued
Duke, Spirit, Ripcord, Mutt
Duke is an LBC, Spirit is a repaint with sculpted hair, Ripcord is sculpt and paint, and Mutt is just paint and parts matching. Need to find an eagle for Freedom and a dog to be Junkyard. Really don't want to sculpt them if I can avoid it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:11 pm 

'84 final figures:

Recondo, Roadblock, Blowtorch. Recondo is a match and paint with minor sculpting. RB is a repaint of a tmnt movie Bebop with a gun and back pack from knock off Lego soldiers. Blowtorch is a lot of sculpting and painting, with customized flame thrower and back pack made from scraps from 3D prints, a Star Trek phaser, and model sprue.

Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings Class of '84 on page 2 1-13-17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:36 pm 

This is a doozy of an update, sorry in advance. I'm photoing the figures one at a time now to show them a bit better. Up now, the class of '85 Joes:

Keel Haul:

Parts -- CoD body, Star Trek head, sculpted hat

Airtight:

Parts -- CoD diver body, sculpted head, MB TMNT shell with kibble for backpack, Halo gun, strand of Cat5 for hoses

Alpine:

Parts -- CoD head, TMNT body, CoD gun, TMNT gun modified into grappling rifle, thread for rope

Barbecue:

Parts -- CoD body, sculpted head, MegaBloks for backpack, Halo pistol modified for foam gun, strand of Cat5 for hose

Bazooka:

Parts -- all CoD, knock-off Lego bazooka

Crankcase (skin tones match better in person):

Parts -- Star Trek head, CoD body

Dusty:

Parts -- All CoD, piece of fabric for sun guard

Flint:

Parts -- All CoD

Footloose:

Parts -- All CoD with sculpted foliage on helmet

Frostbite:

Parts -- All CoD with sculpted hat and fur

Heavy Metal:

Parts -- All CoD (nearly an LBC)

Lady Jaye:

Parts -- Halo Cortana figure for body (modded to hold CoD arms), Cortana head modded with hair and hat, CoD legs, Halo backpack

Quick-Kick:

Parts -- Star Trek head with sculpted headband, body TMNT, sash TMNT belt cut and glued

Shipwreck:

Parts -- CoD head, CoD torso, TMNT legs (still need a Polly)

Tollbooth:

Parts -- Star Trek head with sculpted hardhat, CoD torso with sculpted vest, CoD legs

Post subject: Re: Mark's MegaBlok Makings Class of '85 on page 2 3-13-17
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:40 am 
Plug
Plug

Holy schmoly that is a lot of coolness. Shipwreck needs Polly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:20 am 

Yeah, I'm still trying to find some animals that will work with them. I have an Order, since MB made a German Shepherd, but I haven't found any other animals I like as pets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:36 am 

Although Alpine is the most "natural" my eyes keep gravitating towards Recondo ( and to a lesser extent Roadblock).

Recondo seems like the type of figure i would have played with a lot as a kid (the highest compliment my man). Seriously...team that figure up with a Dino, Tiger, Jeep and rappel line and you have micro Adventure Guy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:37 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])