Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Uncle Happy's WIP & General Teaser Showcase
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 am 

I've been meaning to throw more WIP stuff up here, because writing keeps me so busy that customs sit unfinished for quite a while and I occasionally like to show off what little bit I'd managed to do on some of them. For example, I've been experimenting with an alternative to the traditional sculpting material, as I am no longer at a point where I can order things online and will probably be stuck in that state for quite a while. Being unemployed and broke blows. But yes, my budget solution for this is wall sticky tack (like one would use to mount posters) and super glue over it.

Mostly I have been using it to fill in gaps and holes.

But I got extra curious and, since I haven't tried really sculpting since helping a friend make a cosplay mask (that he gave up on) and haven't really attempted this scale because I honestly have very clumsy fingers, I figured I'd try it out. If it didn't work, no big deal. I used a head I wasn't really planning to use as a guinea pig.

No great, but I think it looks alright for a first attempt. I got braver and decided to do something about Black Cat's lack of a proper fur collar on her Marvel Universe figure.

The glue seems to turn the tack fairly hard, as the collar feels quite rigid. I don't expect this to catch on with anyone, but it works for me for now. Other than those obvious WIPs in the test photos, here's a small set of Delta Red figures I'm working on. Specifically, Cammy, Rory, and Luwanda. I haven't go the pieces for the other two yet and there's still a lot of work left for both Rory and Cammy.

Finally, I'm going to end this out with a teaser of the next big thing I'll be putting up. It's called Second Chances.

Read my reviews and ramblings over at Bastard's Got a Nosebleed.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Uncle Happy's WIP & General Teaser Showcase
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 am 

I'm curious to see where this project is going. Some interesting starts to figures, and teaser looks really cool. I'll be checking back to see what you've come up with...

-Todd
Shakka85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:59 am 

Great idea for the tack. Use what you can when/where you can. That is my motto cause the hobby must go on. Plumber's putty is another nice cheap alternative if you or anyone else is interested in trying. Can get for under $5 for a good amount of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:00 am 

Cammy is going to have her nice thunder thighs. She is looking great!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:33 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I'm glad this thread doesn't have the "crappy customs" moniker like you used to use. Because it wouldn't fit.

Those WIPs look elaborate and damn promising. The teaser is intriguing.

And the tack option is pretty cool. I'm curious to hear how well it holds up. But superglue can do amazing things. Add it to baking soda for filler plastic and better bonding, dip construction paper in it like AdrienVeidt does and get textured hard finishes, etc... So I suspect this is going to work just fine.

And your technique, given the unusual medium, is kind of impressive. Especially on that collar.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:22 pm 
Plug
Plug

drbindy wrote:
And your technique, given the unusual medium, is kind of impressive. Especially on that collar.
That is exactly what I was thinking.

I'm looking forward to these being finished to see how well they turn out. You're already off to a great start.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:39 pm 

drbindy wrote:
I'm glad this thread doesn't have the "crappy customs" moniker like you used to use. Because it wouldn't fit.

Agreed, and agreed.

Necessity is the mother of invention- you do a great job with unusual/ sometimes unique fodder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:34 pm 

looking really good :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:38 pm 

Very creative! Tuned in man. Looking good

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 pm 

Excellent work all around and very inventive use of materials.

When I started sculpting I used old kneaded erasers I had lying around. I didn't think of going over it with super glue, which definitely would have made it last longer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 pm 

"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

Definitely keep us updated on how it holds up after a little time. I HATE having to wait for some gap filling to cure, this is a really interesting solution.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:41 pm 

Glad to see no one thinks I'm a madman for employing my technique for sculpting. So far so good. I should be ready to show off some finished painted bits done with this technique fairly soon, assuming I can find the time to apply copious layers of white paint to a fur collar. In other news, I've been using this technique on some NJC figures, but I obviously can't show those off yet. In lieu of those, have some other WIPs.

Who could this mysterious man be? Well, that's a secret for now. I'll just say that he's related to the Second Chances project.

What has this madman done now?! Yeah, nothing too fancy here. I've had this Halo figure sitting around for a really long time, never really figuring out what to do with it. Suddenly I was inspired and I began work, first yanking the ball out of the neck hole and then trimming it a bit. I then cut off the neck of one of the many ROC Viper bodies laying in my fodder drawers and fit it inside. When I get this thing painted up, I'll show off what I did for the head. After all, I don't want to risk giving away who this is gonna be...just in case someone else loves obscure comic characters from defunct Marvel imprints.

Second Chances is coming very soon. I just have to finish painting one figure of the initial set I teased. Wait, did I say initial, thus implying more? Oops...

Read my reviews and ramblings over at Bastard's Got a Nosebleed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:47 pm 

secrecy is a foot :)

keep the hints coming !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:51 pm 

my biggest take away is that you're having fun with all these, and the results are very much reflecting that

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:40 am 

Can't wait for the finished stuff.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])