Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: D.N. Joe Gung-Ho (Dia-Nauts)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Trying my hand at some smaller customs.

Joe and MegaBlok for comparison:

Eta: sorry, no before or wip pictures. Just a Dia-Naut figure with a Dremel taken to him then done paint added.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: D.N. Joe Gung-Ho (Dia-Nauts)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm 

Great detail and paint, considering the scale!

You don't realize just how small Dianauts are until you have them in-hand. Once you do, though, the customizing gears get turning.

Before starting the project, it's easy to think, "How hard can a 1" figure be?"... Customizing something this small presents a unique set of challenges and requires much more precision than even a 2" Mega Bloks figure.

Looking forward to seeing more!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 pm 

Thanks. Even the sanding them is tricky. You want to take off some of the tech detail, but you can't take too much without losing structural integrity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:17 pm 
Plug
Plug

I feel like Sci Fi or Gears might have been better choices considering the look of the base figure. Although, Mega Marines Gun Ho would have worked as well. I mean I get going for the iconic look and the paint is fantastic given the scale, but tell me this wouldn't have been more fitting in a world of mechs and spaceships.

Attachment:
delete.jpg
delete.jpg [ 281.91 KiB | Viewed 723 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:03 pm 

I definitely agree that with the tech gribble on him, that would have been a great look, but I was also curious how well these guys would take to being dremeled, sanded, etc. (spoiler: not the best -- they're a softer plastic so you get a lot of hairs from them that have to be trimmed. And GH and RnR are my two favorite Joes, so first customs pretty much have to be one of those two. I'm a sucker for those two.). I'll probably make a few more of my favorite Joes and Cobras in their iconic looks, but I think Dianauts need to stay teched out for the most part. Hmm... Star Brigade, maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:38 pm 

MarkM wrote:
I think Dianauts need to stay teched out for the most part. Hmm... Star Brigade, maybe?

That's the direction I chose.

Kept my 'verse in the same ARAH continuity, paying respect to those code names, just further in the future. The Cosmic Marines are just the logical evolution Mega Marines & Star Brigade for my team. I'm going to use Mega Construx figures as support squad.

I know the sci-fi & fantasy stuff is a sore spot with Joe fans, but I always loved it. The execution wasn't always the best, but there are some really cool ideas to work with.

Maybe I'll make a version of Cobra-La people (aside from me) like. Not holding my breath, though. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:03 pm 

Yeah, I actually liked the idea of Star Brigade and the rest but did not like the execution (especially the colors). I have no problem with the more tech and sci-fi oriented looks on my characters. Hmm... So maybe that's an idea -- original color schemes on the tech bodies... I think that could look good. Like this GH, I could have left him teched out, and given him a suit in his original color with the green highlights (like Mysterious Stranger's Mandalorian armor that is an homage to RnR). I think I may have to try that with my RnR dianaut now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])