Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2017 customs - eight new ones added November
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:51 pm 

Scarrviper wrote:
Those Marauder hats are so useful.

Couldn't agree more. They're designed to fit smaller heads generally, but have enough give to fit even larger ARAH-style heads quite well, and come in a nice range of colours. I use them whenever I get the chance to.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2017 customs - eight new ones added November
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:58 pm 

DanOfTheDead wrote:
Can't believe people are STILL able to make original, awesome looking figures with the ARAH parts. It really is a testament to the versatility of the original line, and the talents of the artists still working in that style. These are all excellent.

It certainly helps to be able to work in some parts from other lines, and more recently custom-cast parts and accessories from Marauder. But you're absolutely right, the ARAH line is so well-designed and versatile and that's a big reason why it still holds up today.

Post subject: Demolishor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 pm 

Dreadnok Demolitions

This is my version of the convention-exclusive Dreadnok Demolishor from 2004. I have lots of Street Fighter figure parts, so it's nice to have a Joe use for the Sagat head. The paint scheme is inspired by the original figure, but is not intended to be a reproduction. Using Street Fighter heads to create new Dreadnoks was an excellent idea. I've done a version of Crusher as well using a Zangeif head, and an original creation of my own called Chopper which uses a Balrog head.

Head – Sagat (Street Fighter)
Arms, torso, waist, legs – Steam Roller

Backpack – Chap Mei
Shotgun, sledgehammer – Marauder Inc.

Attachments:
Demolishor access.JPG
Demolishor access.JPG [ 204.91 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]
Demolishor 2.JPG
Demolishor 2.JPG [ 149.93 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]
Demolishor 1.JPG
Demolishor 1.JPG [ 167.39 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]

Post subject: Road Pig
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:52 pm 

Dreadnok Enforcer

Road Pig is a scary character, unpredictable and immensely strong, not to mention violent. Very intimidating and useful as an enforcer, a brute-force type of guy who excels at “ecouraging” people to do what Zartan asks of them. And then you look at his action figure, and see that goofy smile on his face, which renders him a bit limp. Krexx Radek sculpted a new head intended for this figure, and I think you can agree it fits the character much better. Other than replacing the head, I just did a few paint touch-ups on the figure and accessories. I kept the same colours for his hair as the original, but made sure to make the red stripe more uneven and unkempt than the original.

Head – Krexx Radek custom sculpt
All other parts – Road Pig

All accessories – Road Pig

Attachments:
Road Pig access.JPG
Road Pig access.JPG [ 205.23 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]
Road Pig 2.JPG
Road Pig 2.JPG [ 130.5 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]
Road Pig 1.JPG
Road Pig 1.JPG [ 145.59 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]

Post subject: Starduster
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:55 pm 

Airborne Infantry

Don't worry, this custom Starduster is not made from an original figure, I don't have the budget for that. This is a Red Laser custom figure with a bit of repainting done and a new head. Based on the filecard art, I've always thought that Duke's head was a much better fit than the Flash/Hawk/Short-Fuze/Steeler head that was used for the original. Furthermore, that head was already used for four different figures, which made having a different head desirable. I used a Tiger Force Duke head and a lick of black paint, and he looks an awful lot like the card art.

Head – Tiger Force Duke
Other parts – Red Laser custom Starduster (Flint arms, Recondo torso, Iceberg waist, Roadblock legs)

Helmet, grenade launcher, jet pack – Red Laser custom Starduster

Attachments:
Starduster filecard pic.jpg
Starduster filecard pic.jpg [ 28.47 KiB | Viewed 936 times ]
Starduster access.JPG
Starduster access.JPG [ 202.53 KiB | Viewed 936 times ]
Starduster 1.JPG
Starduster 1.JPG [ 144.64 KiB | Viewed 936 times ]

Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2017 customs - three more added November 17
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:25 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Roughneck looks very cool with that cap and the goggles!

Sea Serpent is a great custom as well. I'd love to man a BUGG with a bunch of them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:09 am 

That Demolisher is awe inspiring. It reminds me of the 1980's Arnold Schwarzenegger "Commando" movie figure line but done RIGHT.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm 

Suntzu wrote:
That Demolisher is awe inspiring. It reminds me of the 1980's Arnold Schwarzenegger "Commando" movie figure line but done RIGHT.

Thanks man, yeah I can definitely see him as an 80s action movie villain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 pm 

Demolisher looks spectacular, love the color scheme you chose, and those accessories are spot on. I've thought about revisiting my custom of him again to repaint his pants blue, might have to do that now.

I'm used to how roadpig's original head looks, but I totally understand why some people hate it. That replacement head works really well.

Duke's head looks perfect on starduster, good call. The brown on the holster and straps also do look better.

Post subject: Aero-Viper
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm 

Before I ever saw an Aero-Viper in real life, I saw the character in GI Joe #92 (“Thunderclap!”). There was a panel in that issue (which I've included a pic of here) that I always found really cool, with the Aero-Viper having a gold and silver helmet gleaming in the sun. I've always loved that panel, and wanted to reproduce the effect as best I could on the figure. The Aero-Viper helmet is a dull gold colour, so to I used Tamiya gold leaf paint, and a Molotow liquid chrome pen to make it as shiny as possible. I put a thin coat of water-based varnish on the whole thing, and while this does reduce the shine of the chrome very slightly, it means that it won't get smudged from the tiniest touch of a finger. I also painted a few details on the figure, but the helmet is the real star of the show here.

Attachments:
Aero Viper comic image.jpg
Aero Viper comic image.jpg [ 153.02 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]
Aero Viper 4.JPG
Aero Viper 4.JPG [ 171.14 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]
Aero Viper 1.JPG
Aero Viper 1.JPG [ 132.55 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]

Post subject: Baroness
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:35 pm 

This custom is loosely based on the Baroness' original appearance in the comics, before she had an action figure and became a leather-clad dominatrix. Just a Cobra blue outfit with some yellow highlights. Hasbro apparently had an aversion to giving female characters actual firearms for some reason. None of the female figures in the original run (both Scarletts, Cover Girl, Baroness, Lady Jaye, Zarana and Jinx) had a firearm. Baroness came the closest, but her weapon is officially a laser weapon, which as we know from the cartoon is somehow less offensive than a firearm. Her weapon has a magazine, however, which would be rather strange for an energy weapon, so it seems to me it should be considered a rifle of some kind.

Attachments:
Baroness access.JPG
Baroness access.JPG [ 162.8 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]
Baroness 2.JPG
Baroness 2.JPG [ 135.52 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]
Baroness 1.JPG
Baroness 1.JPG [ 126.28 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]

Post subject: Barrel Roll
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:36 pm 

The New Sculpt era of GI Joe introduced a bunch of new characters, but the figures themselves suffered from the wonky design of the time. Take 2003's Barrel Roll figure for example. It has a perfectly good head, but its original body has the usual terrible proportions: huge shoulders, tiny waist, skinny legs, etc. This custom was made to bring Barrel Roll to life in ARAH (ie, correct) proportions. It's not intended to be an replica, but the design is definitely inspired by the original.

Attachments:
Barrel Roll access 1.JPG
Barrel Roll access 1.JPG [ 168.62 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]
Barrel Roll 3.JPG
Barrel Roll 3.JPG [ 151.51 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]
Barrel Roll 1.JPG
Barrel Roll 1.JPG [ 126.99 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:46 pm 

I love these figures.

Post subject: Gatilho (Trigger)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:06 pm 

This custom in inspired by the Brazilian-exclusive “Forca Naja” figure of the same name. I didn't stick to the paint scheme exactly, and I swapped out the head instead of using Airborne for everything. Painting the yellow stripes took many layers, and I used chrome ink on the goggles for a bit more colour.

Here is a translation of his Brazilian file card:

As a youth, Trigger was known as the "beast of the arcade." Wearing sunglasses so that the glare of the shots didn't force him to blink, he broke the record for every game he played! When he joined Cobra, Trigger came out far ahead of his class; with the speed of his trigger finger, any common firearm seems like an automatic weapon in his hands. Thus, he became the leading marksman of the Python Patrol, Cobra's elite troop for missions that require superhuman ability. Tiger Force should take care, because with Trigger, it's one shot - one kill!

Head – Flash
All other parts - Airborne

Helmet – Airborne (accessory pack version)
Rifle – Marauder Inc.

Attachments:
Gatilho access.JPG
Gatilho access.JPG [ 169.7 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]
Gatilho 2.JPG
Gatilho 2.JPG [ 134.46 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]
Gatilho 1.JPG
Gatilho 1.JPG [ 157.67 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

Post subject: Relampago (Lightning)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:07 pm 

This custom in inspired by the Brazilian-exclusive “Forca Naja” figure of the same name. Unlike my Gatilho custom, I didn't see any need to alter the paint scheme, though I did switch out the helmet to make sure that it would actually fit on the head. And I did use a darker shade for the hair colour, just so he wasn't an exact replica of Ripcord.

Here is a translation of his Brazilian file card – interesting to note that he was originally a member of Tiger Force because turning traitor:

After amazing crowds with his dangerous and daring “Globe of Death” motorcycle routine, the young Lightning was the star of the show, able to land on a moving target going 200 km/h! After enlisting, he was quickly assigned to the GI Joe Tiger Force team. But as quick as lightning, he was caught in the enemy snares and swayed to their side. Revealed as a traitor, he was expelled from Tiger Force. He now serves as part of the terrible Python Patrol - Cobra's elite troop for missions that require superhuman ability. When the thundering roar of his motorcycle is heard, Tiger Force needs to think fast, because lightning strikes without warning!

All parts – Ripcord

Helmet – Ripcord (accessory pack version)
Rifle - Low-Light

Attachments:
Relampago access.JPG
Relampago access.JPG [ 176.69 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]
Relampago 2.JPG
Relampago 2.JPG [ 141.89 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]
Relampago 1.JPG
Relampago 1.JPG [ 135.07 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])