Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2017 customs - seven new ones added June 9
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:04 pm 

Kwinn_Lives wrote:
Even more on the berets, I've just noticed that Dusty v1 has what looks like it can be a Parachutist Badge on his uniform, so that justifies giving him a maroon Beret for v3. Which I'm actually doing right now.

Another thing, the 91/2000 Dusty seem to wear the beret "reversed" that is, the flash is on the figure's right instead of the left. I've never seen anyone in the military wear a beret like that. Do you know of any precedent? And would it be worth it to try and reverse it?

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:41 pm 

You're right! That never clicked in my brain, but now that you've pointed it out, it's obvious. As far as I know, it's always the other way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

First Aid and Hammerdown are sweet!

Post subject: Three Dusty touch-ups
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:36 pm 

Dusty

Dusty v1 was always one of my favourite figures growing up. Not sure why, but I think his realistic outfit had something to do with it. And his bullpup rifle, of course. His shirt has some details on the chest which I've painted here to give him a bit of an upgrade. First was to paint his Parachutist's Badge silver instead of black. Then he has two patches above his shirt pockets, but on the original figure they're left blank. His card art shows that the right patch shows his surname (Tadur), but the left patch can't be seen. However, Special Missions #13 showed that patch saying 'GI Joe', so that's what I've done here. I used a Pigma Micron pen to write in that information on the patches. I also painted some details on his backpack.

Tiger Force Dusty

This is an alternate version of Tiger Force Dusty, which is just an LBC with a few painted details. I painted the name patches on his uniform the same as I did on the 1985 version (the right one says 'Tadur', the left one 'GI Joe' based on the cover of Special Missions #13), and painted the lenses on his goggles. The main change is just that he has the waist and legs of Tiger Force Bazooka - the colour and pattern matches Dusty's upper half. I didn't actually do this part of the custom myself. A few years ago I bought a big lot of figures that included a bunch of Tiger Force figures, and one Dusty came this way. Either someone else customized him, or just messed up when putting the figures back together.

Dusty & Sandstorm

This is a paint update of Dusty v3. I painted some details on his legs, and backpack, and re-did his eyes (which were just blobs of orange paint on the original). I also gave him black versions of his (rather out-of-scale) weapons (from 1998 Cobra Troopers). The biggest change was his beret. The original figure is wearing a light tan beret, which is a colour no US Army unit has ever worn so far as I can tell (it's lighter than the beret rangers currently wear). Dusty version 1 (and 2) has a Parachutist's Badge on his uniform, which means he's airborne qualified, and at the time this figure was released airborne units were allowed to wear maroon berets, so that's what I gave him.

Attachments:
Dusty 1991 1.JPG
Dusty 1991 1.JPG [ 136.4 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Dusty 1988 1.JPG
Dusty 1988 1.JPG [ 151.54 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Dusty 1985 1.JPG
Dusty 1985 1.JPG [ 148.86 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]

Post subject: Cool Breeze
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:37 pm 

Cool Breeze was a created-to-be-killed Joe who had a pretty good character arc in Marvel issues #111-112. He was always difficult to make a figure of without custom parts, because he has quite a unique look. A few years ago a head and torso sculpt was done, and I managed to get my hands on a casting of these parts. They took a lot of work to get into shape, I suspect I got castings from late in the mold's life because there was quite a bit of excess material to be carved away, and several holes that needed to be filled with putty. But it doesn't look too bad now, as long as you don't look too closely.

I used Sneak Peek's waist to give him a hook to hang a sword on (Budo's), and the legs are from Airtight. I've seen a custom of Cool Breeze using Frostbite's legs, which are more comic-accurate in appearance, but I find them too skinny, they don't really work with the relatively thick-built waist and torso. The lower arms are from Burnout, and the upper arms from Hollow Point, a Built-to-Rule figure. I used his arms because he's made of a softer plastic so it's easier to swap out the lower arms, and because it gave me a lot of room to paint on Cool Breeze's sleeve patches. The arms have the bigger, New Sculpt-style shoulders, but they don't stick out too much with this torso, which is pretty meaty. His M-16 is from Marauder Inc. and I gave him a radio pack, but not the one he's pictured with in the comic, since that's Recoil's pack.

We know from the comic that his specialty is recon, as he was part of a unit including Stalker, Sneak Peek, Ambush and Recoil. If he were Army, that would suggest he's probably LRRP, but that's Recoil's thing already and Stalker as well. So I decided to make him Marine Force Recon instead, since the last Joe with those qualifications would be Gung-Ho, so adding a second one makes some sense. But the badge on Cool Breeze's hat looks like an Army Pathfinder badge, so I included that on his filecard as well, since Pathfinders can come from different branches of the armed forces.

Attachments:
Cool Breeze access.JPG
Cool Breeze access.JPG [ 202.36 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Cool Breeze 2.JPG
Cool Breeze 2.JPG [ 136.02 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Cool Breeze 1.JPG
Cool Breeze 1.JPG [ 158.15 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]

Post subject: Lighthorse
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:40 pm 

Lighthorse is a character who has appeared in a few issues of the IDW continuity. This custom is based on his appearance in Special Missions #1, I've included an image from that comic. The parts came together pretty quickly once I decided to do this custom. I wanted a head with sunglasses, and I happened to have a Buzzer head that was missing his hair, so I molded some new hair with epoxy putty.

Then I wanted a torso from before 1985 if I could find a good one, so I wouldn't have to do anything to the neck. Snow Job's torso worked really well, it has both a neck scarf and some pouches on the chest. I added additional pouches below and a strap for the webgear going around to the back using putty. The arms are from Rock 'n Roll v2, the waist is Lanard Corps, and the legs are from footloose. After the modding work, it was a pretty simple paint job, and then putting some accessories together. The helmet is from Marauder Inc, the phone is Firefly v4, the rifle in Duke v11. The belt is a black version of Cross Hair's belt, but I don't know which figure it came from.

Attachments:
Lighthorse comic appearance.jpg
Lighthorse comic appearance.jpg [ 214.72 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Lighthorse access.JPG
Lighthorse access.JPG [ 188.72 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Lighthorse 1.JPG
Lighthorse 1.JPG [ 147.49 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]

Post subject: Gyrene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:41 pm 

Gyrene is an original character. He started with the head, which is from the Sgt. Savage figure Dynamite. Even though the Sgt. Savage figures are a somewhat larger scale than the correct 3 3/4” scale. However, the heads of ARAH Joes tend to be somewhat on the large size in terms of scale, so the Sgt. Savage heads actually fit in with ARAH figures quite well. I also used Dynamite's filecard to decide on a specialty, but rather than just straight-up demolitions I decided on a Marine assaultman, who is trained to assault fortified positions using rockets, explosives and breaching techniques.

The first couple of Marines among the ranks of the Joes had a specialty of 'Marine'. So I consider Gung-Ho to be Force Recon based on his filecard, and Leatherneck to be a Rifleman. Other Marines in my Joeverse (some based on explicit details on their filecards, some from inferences) are Sgt. Slaughter, Mainframe, Bullhorn, Blast-Off and Mirage (since they're Mega Marines), Cross Hair, Hollow Point and Ice Storm. None of these are assaultmen, so that was a available. I tend to do a lot of thinking about where an original character fits into the unit. I've also done four customs, so far, of Marines: Cool Breeze, Jarhead, Tracer and now Gyrene.

I needed a fairly bulky torso for Gyrene, so I used a custom case I had on had, which is for Billy from Predator. I'm using the Billy head for another custom, so his torso was available for use. The arms are Salvo, waist is Footloose, and the legs are Roadblock v4, since again I wanted something big. The rocket launcher and rifle are from Marauder Inc., and satchel is from Elite Force (I think).

Attachments:
Gyrene access.JPG
Gyrene access.JPG [ 222.91 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Gyrene 3.JPG
Gyrene 3.JPG [ 142.65 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Gyrene 1.JPG
Gyrene 1.JPG [ 144.27 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]

Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2017 customs - new ones added July 9
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:58 pm 

I love your work. While I haven't done RAH in years your work is inspiring and makes me want to go back to my roots. Your parts choices and paint apps are fantastic. Really like what you did with each Dusty. He was one of my favorite figures as a kid and your subtle updates really make them pop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:36 pm 

sgcaper wrote:
Really like what you did with each Dusty. He was one of my favorite figures as a kid and your subtle updates really make them pop.

Thanks man. A lot of the earlier Joes are nearly perfect in my mind (at least in part due to nostalgia I'm sure), so I wouldn't want to make any major changes, but touch-ups like this can really give them a little something extra.

Post subject: Scarlett
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 am 

One project I'm working on is to give each of the original characters a unique look, but still something simple and military. Scarlett already had a unique outfit, but wearing a bodysuit into battle was an odd choice. So the point of this custom is to give her a uniform that someone trained as a Marine scout sniper might actually wear. The torso is Cover Girl with the jacket shaved down, and I added a custom-cast ponytail to the Scarlett v2 head.

I also gave her a sniper rifle. It was important to give her an appropriate firearm. In the original ARAH run of figures, Hasbro was allergic to giving female characters actual firearms. None of Scarlett, Cover Girl, Lady Jaye, Zarana or Jinx came with a gun at all, and Baroness comes with a 'high-density laser rifle', so even that's not a real gun. Baroness' rifle bears a slight resemblance to a Beretta AR70/223 assault rifle, so that's what I consider it to be in my Joeverse.

Attachments:
Scarlett 1.JPG
Scarlett 1.JPG [ 130.96 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]
Scarlett 2.JPG
Scarlett 2.JPG [ 135 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]
Scarlett access.JPG
Scarlett access.JPG [ 134.51 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:26 pm 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Cool Scarlett!

Post subject: Barrage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:06 pm 

Barrage is an ARAH version of a modern era figure. The first thing to change was his codename. I don't allow ranks to be part of codenames in my Joeverse; what happens when a Major is promoted to Lieutenant Colonel? So Major Barrage simply becomes Barrage. Because he's such a huge character (6-8 and 300 pounds according to his filecard), I used the same technique as my Hammerdown custom and used some Sgt. Savage parts to give the figure extra heft. I used epoxy putty to add facial hair and the vest, which includes a hole in the back to plug his shotgun holster into, and I used a pen to reproduce the GI Joe tattoo on his right arm.

Attachments:
Barrage access.JPG
Barrage access.JPG [ 178.19 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Barrage 2.JPG
Barrage 2.JPG [ 123.88 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Barrage 1.JPG
Barrage 1.JPG [ 131.92 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

Post subject: Dela Eden
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:07 pm 

Devil's Due brought the Red Shadows into GI Joe continuity in 2005, but with all-new leadership made up of Wilder Vaughn, Artur Kulik and Dela Eden. This figure is a custom of Ms. Eden, who is mostly known as the one who killed Lady Jaye in the Disavowed continuity. I changed her look a fair bit from her comic appearance. A white fur coat and leather bustier might be quite fashionable but are pretty ridiculous in the field, so I gave her something a little more practical to wear. The head and torso are sculpts from Angel Forge, and I used epoxy putty to add some detail and pouches to the torso. Also, since everyone in the Joeverse needs a codename, I also call her Lilith (with Samael being the name for Vaughn and Goliath for Kulik).

Attachments:
Dela Eden access.JPG
Dela Eden access.JPG [ 143.17 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Dela Eden 2.JPG
Dela Eden 2.JPG [ 131.08 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Dela Eden 1.JPG
Dela Eden 1.JPG [ 116.34 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

Post subject: Hat Trick
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:09 pm 

Hat Trick was a created-to-die character who appeared in IDW G.I. Joe issues 8 and 9, alongside Six-Gun. Both were ripped to pieces by a mechanical monstrosity deep in a dark dungeon. They have nice designs though, so I wanted to replicate them as best as I could. Hat Trick has a pretty basic design, but I wanted to get knee and elbow pads on him similar to his comic appearance, and the helmet and goggle combination from Marauder Inc. is very close to what it should look like. I gave both characters M4 carbines, since the number of accessories available to modify them allows them to have distinctive weapons even though they're the same base.

Attachments:
Hat Trick access.JPG
Hat Trick access.JPG [ 179.72 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Hat Trick 2.JPG
Hat Trick 2.JPG [ 168.99 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Hat Trick 1.JPG
Hat Trick 1.JPG [ 158.14 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

Post subject: Six-Gun
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:10 pm 

Six-Gun was a created-to-die character who appeared in IDW G.I. Joe issues 8 and 9, alongside Hat Trick. Both were ripped to pieces by a mechanical monstrosity deep in a dark dungeon. They have nice designs though, so I wanted to replicate them as best as I could. Six-Gun wears dirt bike protective gear over his fatigues, so I used a torso I had on hand from Angel Forge that approximates that. He also wears a motorcycle helmet, for which I modified a Backstop helmet. He doesn't actually have night vision goggles in the comic, but I had a pair of goggles from a Remco American Defense figure of all places that fits absolutely perfectly on this helmet, so I couldn't not use it. The head is from a Lanard construction worker figure, and it's actually a really nice sculpt.

Attachments:
Six-Gun access.JPG
Six-Gun access.JPG [ 170.07 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Six-Gun 2.JPG
Six-Gun 2.JPG [ 130.5 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Six-Gun 1.JPG
Six-Gun 1.JPG [ 133.68 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])