Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Sea Goose
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:40 pm 

Finally I can call this complete enough. I could work on it for the rest of the year but I don't think it would ever be done. Here it is, the replacement for Baloo's Sea Duck. Here's the WIP if anybody wants to see my struggle.

First is the cabin shots. I wanted this to be modular and had to stop myself from over doing it a few times. Had to keep it simple, but I still put in a few fun things. There are three cots over the bay door, all made from shipping containers. Wildcat had to do the best he could with the supplies on hand. The two on the wall fold up out of the way when not in use while the third in the rear is stationary. That's Molly's bed, the others half to sleep in shifts if they want a bed. The seats fold up and the counter folds down. There are two blue barrels mounted under the counter for fresh water. The counter is cobbled together out of a suitcase, again thinking of whats available while traveling. I didn't get a good shot of the cockpit but the WIP shots show all that is needed, its just yellow now. If you are curious of the metal floor, I put magnets in the feet of my customs. Now the crew stays in place while the plane gets tilted around, if you play with it, not that I do or anything.

The exterior is pretty plain and simple. Its yellow with some orange. The reddish brown line was freehanded and is a bit squiggly in places. The Sea Goose logo nose art was also painted freehand. The tailfin Higher For Hire log was created in Paint and made into a Xyron decal. I used that as a guide to paint over to give everything a uniform color. The lights were painted to give the plane a little more color but I strayed away from adding any military or commercial warnings and clutter. The airplane was designed for private use and doesn't have all of the restrictions and I couldn't print off any really sharp images and I'm too cheap to pay for the good stuff.

Now behold my photo skills as I give the illusion of flight!!

If you closely you can see Kit Cloudkicker sky boarding on the tow rope. This was a cargo rope reel from the Tomahawk I believe. I respooled it with longer thread and added a jewelry clasp. Now the ski rope handle can be switched out for a traditional hook or personnel rescue device. It was the perfect fit underneath the tail and I attached it with four o-ring back screws.

And if anybody wants a real snore-fest, here is the 8 page short story I wrote to explain how Talespin and this airplane fit into my GI Joe. My daughter said she enjoyed the first page. :shifty:

My eBay listings: PennyKooleToys

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: The Sea Goose
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:40 pm 

that turned out great! you should be very proud! your pics are awesome too, you need to take it on location to the beach!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:39 pm 

MOST IMPRESSIVE!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:45 am 

No words... This is just incredible and will be in the running for vehicle of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:28 pm 

I loved that show. This is great.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:36 am 

Thanks for following my process on this. I had originally aimed for finishing this by the end of April but between weather, little league, and family time I stretched it out another month. Still pretty good since this is the only major vehicle customization I've seen through to the end. I've still got a Cobra battle platform that I started back in 2004 that's waiting for completion. Right now it's little more than a blue Rolling Thunder chassis. And an Iron Grenadier gunship that is just a black Star Wars AOTC Republic Gunship. So actually modding this and painting was a big deal for me. I've repainted vehicles before but I always stumble when it comes to the mods. I really didn't change much here other than removing all of the dividers in the cockpit and add the pontoons, but all things considered, it was big step for me. A step I'm not sure I ever want to repeat.

Anyways, thanks for the compliments and thanks for keeping me accountable through this build.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:45 am 

This is great. I've got a couple of human Tale Spin figures in my WIPs to go along with my Dark Wing customs, but I'm in awe of how many you've done and how great the Sea Goose came out. Really great stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:13 pm 
DarkJedi'd

Impressive work.

The only thing, and it's such a small thing, is the rifles in the gun rack should be stored stock down/barrel up. Would prevent damage to the guns and keep the business end clear of debris.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:59 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

looks great man. Love how all that yellow pops. Love the translation of the characters. Dig the interior pieces, and as someone who also likes to use magnets in the feet, the metal floor is inspired. What are the metal bits from?

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 pm 

Really great work on this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:04 pm 

drbindy wrote:
looks great man. Love how all that yellow pops. Love the translation of the characters. Dig the interior pieces, and as someone who also likes to use magnets in the feet, the metal floor is inspired. What are the metal bits from?

I've always called them mending plates or joined plates. You can get them at any hardware or lumber store in many sizes. Pretty cheap and it's easier than trimming sheet metal to fit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:12 pm 

:wow: :wow: :wow:

Holy toledo, this is f___ing AWESOME!

Takes me right back to the Disney Afternoon days with my kid sister.

The amount of work is staggering, and you are a braver man than I. The Missus would probably kill me if I built a piece that large. Hell, I'd kill me!

Wrapping up my first vehicle now, and it was a massive undertaking (like, literally) for someone used to miniatures... Even using as much spray paint as I did, I had no idea the amount of work I was in for... and the ship looks to be amount half the size of your plane.

I don't wear hats, but I'll buy one, put it on, and take it off to you, sir.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])