Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Universe Asunder: the Hero of Homeworld!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 pm 
HATES Mattel

I picked up a Bandai Gundam DGenerationX RX-75 Guntank (the cutesy 'super-deformed' style) and 3DPrinted a few pieces, along with the use of traditional customizing techniques; and made Microtron in a style and size closer to his appearance in ye olde beloved Marvel Micronauts comic.

Just a casual day on the Endeavour with Biotron, Princess Marionette, and Microtron having a quiet conversation...

'Oh, no! We're dooooooooooomed!'

Microtron's front view.

Microtron's side view.

Microtron's rear view.

A pic showing all of his articulation. He has a pop'em ball neck, swivel waist, and pop'em ball 'hips' connecting his tank-tread feet. His shoulders are ball-motion polycaps with hindarm swivels I had to build up with small sheets of styrene for strength. The forearms and claw hands I fabbed up in TinkerCAD and 3DPrinted at my local library, and got them right on like the 4th try.

The final painting stage.

The first pass at painting. I had to file away a lot of roughness around his forehead lamp due to it being a mass of construction paper and superglue.

At final construction prior to the first painting pass. You can see the raw construction paper forming his eye visor and forehead lamp; and the plexiglass/styrene I used to build up the elbow area, interior of the tank treads, the shoulder area where some holes were exposed after cutting the Guntank's shoulder cannon's away. The 3DPrinted abdomen can be seen grafted to the upper plate of the Guntank's abdomen, to retain the waist swivel.

Raw test-assembly and scale comparison with a HACKdude.

Raw test-assembly and scale comparison with a HACKdude.

Raw test-assembly with his 'hoop wings'.

A comparison of his size with the hoop wings and the 5mm sockets.

Finally, the hands/forearms are the right size!

That day's 3DPrint products, bits for Microtron and a small armory and wingpacks for King Acroyear.

Test-placing the 3DPrinted abdomen against the other parts to see if I'm on the right track. I had planned to keep all of the red waist assembly but thought he was too tall and thus tore it all down to just the upper plate with the swivel peg that goes up into the chest.

The 3DPrinted abdomen and the too-small first pass at the forearms and clawhands.

Assembly of the Guntank after opening the box, to see if I'd wasted my money and gotten something too big/small/wrong some-other-way. For only $7, I was and am quite pleased indeed!

The Guntank's box. This is the one to get, gents.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Universe Asunder: the Hero of Homeworld!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:13 pm 

really great build pics! not familiar with the source, but your work is outstanding!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:41 am 

That's brilliant! I never would've thought making a Guntank into Microtron would work so well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:40 pm 
HATES Mattel

2DARK2C wrote:
really great build pics! not familiar with the source, but your work is outstanding!

Gracias! Microtron was a sizable robot from ye olde 70s MicroMan/Micronauts line, big enough that one of his optional heads had a flip-up panel that turned it into a seat for one of the 18th-scale Micromen/Time Travelers. When Marvel did their comic they rescaled him down to about waist-high and repurposed him as Princess Marionette's roboid tutor. My attempt here is still a bit big, but I doubt I'll be able to do better.

RelenaWarcraft wrote:
That's brilliant! I never would've thought making a Guntank into Microtron would work so well.

No lie, I'm surprised at how well it works with so little modification. Relatively speaking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:31 am 

As someone who is currently reading the modern Micrnauts series from IDW I must say this is bad ass. Well executed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])