Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: MOTU-Bloks Multiple Updates on 10/08/17
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Took a spare skeletor and turned him into Stinkor. The head is a tmnt figure with sculpting and the armor is from a halo figure. I had to Dremel out the armor to get it to fit, so it's glued on.

Last edited by MarkM on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: MOTU-Bloks Stinkor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:21 pm 

sooo tiny :) and cool!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:38 pm 

Thanks! I'm hoping to fill in my MOTU collection with figures I don't expect to see from Mega/Mattel, like this guy. They're a fun and fast way to whip out a custom while figuring out parts for my MegaBloks Joes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:37 am 

....and if there were ever a reason to celebrate over dyeing a figure *this* would be it.

Nice work. We need all of the Mega MOTU characters we can get and i actually like 200x Stinkor.

Yeah....all types of winning here Mark.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:07 pm 
Plug
Plug

You need to see if you can find some stick spray to add to him for authenticity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:07 pm 

First of all, I love this little guy. If MegaBloks makes an entire MOTU series at some point, I'll buy every single one of the animal-based characters and get into some Battle Beast nostalgia.

Second, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Stinkor's stench was made by mixing patchouli oil into the plastic. So all you need to do to give him his proper odor is head on over to the new-age-iest store in town and rub him on a few of the customers. He'll smell just like his vintage predecessor in no time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:53 pm 

Thanks, guys. Sgartz, you're correct. The original figure had patchouli oil mixed into the plastic so it wouldn't wear off quickly. There are still specimens out there today that have that vague patchouli smell. You guys are right, I might have to get some and dowse him in it, just to get the full effect.

This custom was a special one for me and very nostalgic. When I was a child, I would go spend a week with my paternal grandparents every summer. There would always be some excuse (a doctor's appointment, needing to pick up some part or something) to "go into town" toward the end of the visit. This trip meant going to Wendy's for a burger, fries, and Frosty. Then we would go to K-Mart or Wal-Mart (can't remember which, I just remember it seemed magical because there were always so many more toys than at the Wal-Mart back home) and I, and later my kid brother also, would get to pick a single toy. On one of these trips, when I was 10, I saw Stinkor. Between the high contrast of the white/black/orange coloring and the description on the package declaring him to be the "Master of Odors" and having a real stench, I had to get him.

I can still remember climbing into the back seat of my grandparents' Oldsmobile and gleefully opening the package and taking a big whiff and saying, "Wow! He really does stink!" Grandma simply said, "Oh, dear." while Grandpa responded with, "Well, I guess that's something to look for in a toy." Stinkor has always been one of my favorites because of that memory.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:44 am 

Fisto vs Jitsu:

Jitsu is made from a translucent TMNT Leonardo with a The Corps! right hand for his karate-chopping action, mohawked CoD head with hair resculpted and goatee added, and some Halo armor shaved out to fit the beefier buck of the TMNT/MOTU torso. I might dig out a Micronauts hand to replace the right hand with, for a more accurate chopping pose. I used the TMNT figure because I wanted to go a different route with the legs. I thought I could give him a better personality, while keeping his color palette, if I gave him some 'karate pants and sandals' rather than the barbarian underoos and boots.

Fisto is made from a Mega Construx Heroes He-Man with Skeletor's belt (skirt trimmed off), CoD head (no mods), The Corps! right hand formed into a fist, and armor sculpted completely from FixIt epoxy. I might replace his right hand with a Micronauts fist, as well.

Post subject: Re: MOTU-Bloks Fisto vs Jitsu (09/28/17)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 pm 

I can still hear the commercial -- "Human... Robot... Monster..." -- what a fantastical character and introduction. He was one of the first figures I got as a kid and I played with him so much the rubber holding his legs on broke. I was devastated. Mom tried to fix him by gluing the legs on, but it just wasn't the same; I had lost one of my favorite characters. If Mega/Mattel give us a Mega Construx version, I'll gladly snap him up, but I didn't want to wait for that, so I set about to making my own. I've wanted a 1:18 Man-E for some time, but have never found the parts to pull him off. I thought it was going to be the same with the Mega scale, but then I got a barrel in a set of knock-off Lego soldiers I had ordered for the weapons for my Mega Construx Joes. The barrel got me to thinking about making Man-E again.
My parts list before the photos:
1 x Knock-off brand brick set barrel
1 x Mega Blok Movie TMNT Donatello body
1 x Mega Blok Star Trek Red Shirt head
1 x Mega Blok TMNT April O'Neill laser pistol
1 x styrene rod
bits of 24 gauge wire
Lots of Aves FixIt

Here is the head after I had sculpted the monster and robot faces and began painting it:
Human

Robot

Monster
(because of the color, I never could get a good pic of the Monster face sculpt. My phone just did not want to focus on it. I wound up going with a lighter green to show off the detail a bit better)

The barrel I used for the helmet:

Cut own, trimmed and reshaped some to look more like M-E-F's helmet:

Face hole roughed in:

Body with the neck ball cut off, shoulders flattened, and a hole drilled to allow the styrene peg that the head is on to feed into the body:

Test to make sure the helmet won't look too goofy on the body:

Test of all the parts together:

After some sculpting and painting, I present Man-E-Faces--

Human

Robot

Monster (still couldn't get it to focus in well on it. If I can get better pics, I'll update)

Right side:

Back (I noticed the 'hose' had popped out only after I uploaded the pics. It's fixed now):

Left:

Using the Donatello legs (which were just some CoD legs, I believe) felt like a cheat, but I figure it's similar to what Mega/Mattel will give us if they give us a M-E-F figure. I might do some more work on them, but I'm happy with the figure as it is right now.

Post subject: Re: MOTU-Bloks Human... Robot... Monster... (10/01/17)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:51 pm 

puppy monkey baby I love it! I had the motu version as a kid too!

for your pics you might try a blank background as it seems your camera is focused on the box in the back ground. I know my camera will focus on what "it thinks is the subject weather I agree or not!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 pm 

Thanks! Yeah, I need to do a solid background for pics. I'm using temporary space for customizing right now (wife's craft room) so don't judge the setup I used to use. I tell the camera to focus on the figure and it does, then I hit the button and it changes focus. I need to just get a good camera to use so I can get larger shots.

But glad you like the figure! I'm pretty pleased with him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:10 am 

Cool.

So.. how many MOTU characters are there, and how far into this epic project are you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:11 am 

I haven't counted myself, just going off of websites stating figure counts, there are 60 unique characters (IE, not counting5 different hemans or Skeletors). I'm only about 7 figures in. I was trying to predict what Mattel will release so I can focus on the less likely characters. After seeing yesterday's announcement of teela and beastman figures, now I'm just going to make whomever I want.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:44 pm 

Kind of a rainy few days lately, so I got to spend more time 'playing'. I knocked out a few more MOTU-Bloks customs. I realized when I uploaded them to Imgur that they're in order of how pleased I am with them. I didn't do that on purpose, but it's kind of funny.

Up first -- Scareglow - the Ghost of Skeletor. Is he a ghost Skeletor controls? Is he Skeletor's ghost after he dies? That's all up to the individual, but either way, he's a fun character:
The body is all Skeletor, repainted. The head is a Terminator head with some skull-pting to remove the tech-look. The weapon is an Assassin's Creed weapon, painted. The cape is from some knock-off Lego set, dyed purple. Of my customs this round, he's my favorite. I'm happy with the way he turned out, and I got his eyes perfect, I think. The paint on the body could be better, but overall, he's my best this time.

Next is "The Warrior in Red" (inspired by Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer and a character known by fans as 'Warrior in Red' painted by Rudy Obero on the box of the Wind Raider) He's just a repaint of He-Man in red with black trim, including the harness, with a sculpted helmet with horns from a Havoc staff. Cutting the iron cross off the harness and sculpting the helmet was the only reworking of the figure; the rest is just paint. The sword is just a filler for now, from a Destiny figure. A fairly simple and straight-forward custom, but I really like how he looks.

A goofy character that I liked in spite of the figure not being that good, I knew that Mega probably would not give us a Too-Bad, so I had to make my own. He's made from a Movie TMNT Raphael and the neck ball of the figure I cut up for my previous Man-E-Faces figure. The right leg is from an Assassin's Creed figure; while the arms, torso, and left leg are from the Raph. the crotch and belt were my first attempt at copying Mega parts, using Blue Stuff to make the mold and a resin pen for the casting material. I'm okay with the results but it needs some tweaking. The blue head is a CoD zombie with a lot of sculpting on it. The purple head is completely sculpted. The harness, which I'm not too pleased with, was sculpted on. I also sculpted fins on the purple leg and arm. I still need to make his shield, but haven't found anything I'm happy with for it, so may have to sculpt it.

Another character that is so stupid but so fun, I had to make Mekaneck. He's all He-Man with a lot of sculpting and modification. For the action feature, I cut a piece of a model sprue (I never throw those things away, they're so handy for stuff like this) and shaped one end to a point. I then cut the neck ball off a He-Man figure, drilled a hole in it with my pin vise, and glued the ball to the sprue piece. I then put a drill bit the same size as the sprue in my pin vise, pulled the torso from the legs of the He-Man, and to make sure the neck was centered, drilled up from the hole the legs insert into and out the top. I then painted up the figure up before sculpting on the armor. I sculpted the armor and helmet and painted them while wet (I've found this helps get the paint to really bond to the Fix-It, and smooths it out some). Once the Fix-It had cured, I assembled the figure. Like Too-Bad, I'm not overly pleased with the armor, but for a character in the background of a diorama, he'll work unless Mega gives us an official release. His club is a Movie TMNT Leo sword with the blade cut down the the club sculpted over it.
Looking around:

Head down:

Last is Zodac. He's always been one of my favorite characters, so I had to tackle him. Unfortunately, I'm just not that happy with him. He'll be fine in a background position, but I'm just not thrilled with the results. He's made from a Skeletor. My first mistake was trying to reuse the harness from a donor He-Man as the base for his armor. I sculpted onto the harness, but it's such a soft rubber that it just wouldn't let the Fix-It bond to it and kept warping it. At that point, I should have just removed the harness and sculpted the harness as I did the others, since, while I don't like how they turned out, I'm more pleased with them than this one. Next, I removed the hair from a He-Man and sculpted on the helmet. I tried to keep the Fix-It thin, but it still wound up being way too oversized. It's the same method I used on "Warrior in Red", but for some reason, it just looks chibi on Zodac. Finally, I cobbled his blaster from a knock-off lego laser pistol, a cone brick piece, and some sculpting. It looks terrible, too, but I'm done with this figure for now. I may decide to revisit him later, but for now, I'll just stick him in the back of any scene I drop him in. It's a shame, really, because I'm quite pleased with how the paint job on the body came out. I'm just not happy with any of this sculpting.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])