Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: OB's 2018 Customs Thread: IG Destro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:55 pm 

Februray 5th: Iron Grenadiers Destro

Again, nothing spectacular, just swapped the head from 25th IG Destro for a 50th version. It fits the body much better in my opinion.

January 16th: Wet-Suit and Grand Slam x2 Tweaks

Nothing spectacular, just updating some older customs. Wet-Suit is a recipe that several customizers have done previously. For the Grand Slams, I wanted to bring my customs closer to the vintage look, so I matched the original's colors, added the visor, changed the head and made a few other adjustments.

Wet-Suit

I mostly remember Wet-Suit from the Sunbow cartoon. He and Leatherneck were always bickering during season 2 and they both stood out to me. The 25th figure was released at the very end of the line in the Joe 7-pack. Originally, the figure was slated to be released as a diver version of Resolute Duke. However, as the line wound down to be replaced by the Rise of Cobra, Hasbro repainted and repacked the figure and he became Wet-Suit.

As a figure, it had some points in common with the original figure, but it could be improved. For my version, I simply repeated what several customizers have already done. Most of the changes involve simple part swaps. The helmet is repainted from the Eel. It is not a perfect representation of the original's, but it works well in my opinion.

Helmet: 25th Eels
Lower arms: 25th Cobra Flint
Lower legs: 25th Viper
Everything else: 25th Wet-Suit

Grand Slam (red pads)

Head: Marauder MTF
Helmet: Vintage Battle Gear
Visor: 25th Flash
Everything else: 25th Flash

Grand Slam (silver pads)

I did not have Grand Slam as a kid. I barely even knew he existed. When I looked at the figure in the 1982 catalog, I just thought they used Flash for the HAL. When Grand Slam got a new silver makeover in 83, I remember thinking that this may have been a new character. However, by then, I was more interested in other Joes like Tripwire, Snow Job and Airborne. In my mind, Grand Slam will forever be a Flash clone. Sorry GS fans.

The 25th anniversary version is a good figure. Although it has its flaws, it represents the vintage version well in my opinion. My goal with this custom was to adjust the colors to match the vintage figure as well as update the head and include the visor.

Head: Marauder MTF
Helmet: Vintage Battle Gear
Visor: 25th Flash
Everything else: ROC Grand Slam

January 14th: Cutter

One of my friends had the WHALE when we were kids. Every time we played GI Joes, the WHALE would always be at the center of the action with Cutter in the lead. In our battles, the Joe team would defend the Transportable Tactical Battle Platform from Hydrofoil and Water Moccasin attacks. Since I got to play with my friend’s toys, I never asked for the WHALE of my own. However, the battles we had using Cutter, led directly to my asking Santa for Shipwreck the following year.

I have had a Cutter WIP in my bins for the longest time. I never seemed to get the recipe down. Since I have been revisiting childhood favorites lately, I figured it was a good time to revisit my custom. I have a recipe that I like now, but I may update the life jacket down the line if a better option presents itself.

Head, cap: Marauder MTF
Torso, arms: Retaliation Kwinn
Life vest: Unknown knock-off outdoor playset
Upper legs: 50th Dusty
Lower legs: 50th Dusty (2x right leg)

January 5th: Scarface (Early Marvel Comics version)

As a kid, I only had a handful of original Marvel comic issues. One of those was a super book that included issues 11 and 12. I remember buying it at a local convenience store. The book was published in French and the story ended on a cliff-hanger. I read that book often as a kid and wondered what happened to Snake Eyes for over 20 years until I finally read issue 13 as an adult. The character of Scarface was introduced in issue 12 and was recurring for several issues after that. Like Kwinn and Dr Venom, he has gained a cult following of sorts.

The 25th line gave us a "scarred Cobra Officer" that was a decent attempt for the time. Recently, I re-read issue 12 and it inspired me to make a proper comic accurate Scarface. I started from the recipe for the Officer in the SDCC Missile Command HQ. I believe that it represents the simplicity of first Cobra troops very well. I made a couple of small changes to the parts to reflect what I had available. After that, it was simply a matter of emulating the comic colors as closely as possible, right down to the blue boots.

Head, helmet, torso, web gear: PoC Cobra Trooper
Upper arms, upper legs: DG Cobra Commander
Lower arms: 25th Crimson Guard
Lower legs: DG Snake Eyes

January 2nd: Cobra Commander (Early Marvel Comics version)

I had a few issues of the old Marvel comic when I was a kid. Since I only had a few, I read and reread them often. My first issue was #5. It had everything a kid could want – lots of action, a tank, and a surprise ending. One of the pages that fascinated me included panels showing Cobra Commander sitting on his throne and shooting at wooden cutouts of the Joes. I remember thinking that Cobra Commander did not do that in the Sunbow cartoon (the version of GI Joe that I knew). Those panels stuck with me.

While putting together my Scarface custom (Spoiler!), I started re-reading several issues of the old comic and came upon issue 5. For some reason, I had never noticed how different Cobra Commander looked in the early issues next to his toy counterpart. It’s not something I would have noticed when I was a kid and we have gotten official figures of that look since then. Dollar General Cobra Commander is a good approximation of that early look, so I started there. I updated the gloves and changed the legs. I also gave him battle helmet head since he uses both his hood and his helmet in early issues. Lastly, I gave him his automatic pistol.

Head, battle mask: Retaliation Ultimate Cobra Commander
Helmet: PoC Cobra Trooper
Torso, upper arms: DG Cobra Commander
Lower arms: 25th Cobra Commander
Upper legs: Retaliation Kamakura
Lower legs: 25th IG Destro (2x left leg)
Feet: 25th Viper

Last edited by OreoBuilder on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: OB's 2018 Customs Thread: Marvel Cobra Commander
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:12 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

Looks great. I really like the boots/leg choice. And the yellow really pops. The buttons bleed a small amount into the blue. I think it’s pretty much perfect if you clean that up a bit.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:37 pm 

Thanks drbindy. Good point about the buttons. They look much better in person, Maybe that is a benefit of turning 40 :lol: . I got a lamp with a magnifying glass for my birthday after I made this custom. Looks like I'll put it to good use :-D

OB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 pm 

looks awesome! and true to the comics. this would of fit criteria for the current gp I think.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:13 pm 

Love it. Anything inspired by early comics appearances gives me warm fuzzies, of course, but this is a really good one.

My only criticism is accessory choice. In the comic it looks to me like he's using a Mauser C96. You've given him a TEC-9, which was first produced in 1985. His Mauser must have been modified to selective fire - or maybe he was using an Astra copy of the C96, called the MM31, which was manufactured to allow full auto.

Post subject: Re: OB's 2018 Customs Thread: Marvel Scarface
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:45 am 

Thanks guys. Your feedback is always appreciated. I have a confession to make, I don't know that much about guns. Of course, I know some stuff, it's hard not to being a fan of GI Joe and all, but if it looks cool, or it looks like what is on the page, it works for me :-D The Mauser it Han Solo's gun right?

BTW, continuing in the same vein, Scarface is up. Enjoy guys.

OB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 pm 

No worries, at least you gave him an automatic pistol. And yes, Han Solo's blaster was built on the Mauser design.

As for Scarface, another thumbs-up from me. Always love seeing early comic characters put into plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:34 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Really great replications.

I might have left the gun handle and barrel on Scarface's harnessed pistol black or gray, but that's a minor nit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:14 am 

Great interpretations!

Post subject: Re: OB's 2018 Customs Thread: Cutter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 am 

Thanks guys! Cutter is up.

OB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 pm 

really nice! cutter is perfect!
can you cut loose his trigger finger with a razor blade? it might let you lower the pistol in his hand some.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 pm 

That cutter is sweet

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:08 pm 

Very solid work!

What is the recipe on that Doc Venom?

Post subject: Re: OB's 2018 Customs Thread: Wet-Suit and Grand Slam x2 Twe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:40 pm 

Thanks guys. Serpentor II, the Venom figure is from the Club. I did not make any mods to it.

In my latest update, I tweaked a few older 25th figures to make them closer to their vintage look, nothing very complicated, but I figured why not.

OB

Post subject: Re: OB's 2018 Customs Thread: IG Destro
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:44 am 

Nothing spectacular, just added a small mod to IG Destro.

Enjoy!

OB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])