Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2018 customs - 7 new added July 8 pg 17/18
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:46 pm 

really creative batch!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Python Patrol
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 pm 

I did repaints of all the Python Patrol figures, and made a few more. I put them in a separate thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46719

Post subject: Stingray - Navy SEAL Officer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 pm 

Stingray
Navy SEAL Officer

Stingray is based on the Stingray Johnson figure that was released as part of the second series of Captain Power figures in 1988, but who never appeared in the TV series. I used as much of the original figure's appearance and backstory that I could (there's a pic of the original figure for comparison). In my Joe world he's US Navy Commander Nathan Johnson, who has a complicated history in the maritime service. After enlisting and serving as a Navy SEAL, he attended college on the Navy's dime to earn a Bachelor's degree in Meteorology and Oceanography, then attended Officer Candidate School in Newport, RI to rejoin the Navy as an officer. He served several tours as a Meteorology/Oceanography Officer serving in a carrier group, before regaining his itch for action in the water. He retrained as a Special Warfare Officer, and worked his way up the ranks to command a Navy SEAL Team before finally joining the Joes. Although the Joes have several SEALs among their ranks, they don't have an officer (Torpedo is a Warrant Officer), so Stingray is in charge of Wet-Suit, Tracker and all the rest. He's known as a practical joker and spends as much time in the water as possible.

Head – Dragonsky v2 (custom-cast)
Arms, legs – Eel v2 (modified)
Torso, waist - Barbecue

Helmet – Kurt “Airtight” Schnurr v3
Harpoon gun – Monkeywrench (modified)

Attachments:
Stingray 4.jpg
Stingray 4.jpg [ 127.48 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]
Stingray 2.JPG
Stingray 2.JPG [ 137.51 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]
Stingray 1.JPG
Stingray 1.JPG [ 171.29 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]

Post subject: Cobra Cavalier (HISS Driver)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 pm 

Cobra Cavalier
Armored Aviator

When I posted my custom Super FANG helicopter a while back, I included a HISS Driver to accompany it (since the file card indicates they also operate FANGs), and had done a small amount of detail painting on it. And then instead of completing the custom work on the figure, I packed it away until I realized that I had never finished it and dug it out again. So here is the completed custom. It's just some paint work in order to give the figure more colour and detail. I don't find names like “Cobra Officer” or “HISS Driver” to be very evocative, so I wanted to give each type of faceless Cobra from the early years of the line unique names, much like the -Vipers of later years. In naming these officers, I imagine that Cobra Commander has a Napoleonic view of himself and so uses many terms from the Grande Armée. So the Cavaliers are mounted officers.

All parts – HISS Driver

Pistol – Marauder Inc.

Attachments:
Cobra Cavalier 3.JPG
Cobra Cavalier 3.JPG [ 114.32 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]
Cobra Cavalier 2.JPG
Cobra Cavalier 2.JPG [ 100.54 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]
Cobra Cavalier 1.JPG
Cobra Cavalier 1.JPG [ 124.23 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]

Post subject: Armoured HISS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm 

Cobra H.I.S.S.-A
High-Speed Sentry – Armoured

The H.I.S.S. is not a tank. Yes, it has tracks, carries some good firepower and is maneuverable in the battlefield. But tanks are, by definition, armoured vehicles and the H.I.S.S.'s glass canopy precludes it from meeting the definition. No vehicle on the front line of combat is going to last long if its driver can be killed with a round of .50 BMG. And the open-top turret doesn't help either, it would be too easy to lob a grenade into it. Hasbro never called it a tank, of course, that's something that fans added themselves.

To make the H.I.S.S. into an actual H.I.S.S. tank, I bought a couple of 3D-printed parts intended just for that purposes: an armoured canopy, and an armoured turret cover. I had to modify the turret cover, since its design is to replace the turret rather than cover it. So I had to cut out the front of it to fit in the turret. Reproduction stickers from Toyhax.com complete the look. I call it a H.I.S.S.-A both to reflect that it's a new model of the vehicle, and to indicate that it's armoured. The pics also feature two custom figures – the Strike Viper as the driver and a Cobra Dragoon on the back.

Body and turret assembly – Cobra H.I.S.S.
Canopy and turret cover w/antenna – Yetibrew Design (Shapeways)

Attachments:
Cobra HISS-A 4.JPG
Cobra HISS-A 4.JPG [ 172.47 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]
Cobra HISS-A 2.JPG
Cobra HISS-A 2.JPG [ 253.41 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]
Cobra HISS-A 1.JPG
Cobra HISS-A 1.JPG [ 213.44 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]

Post subject: Strike Viper
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:03 pm 

Strike Viper
Cobra Armoured Aviator

I recently made a trade with Blood Brigade for one of his amazing custom vehicles, posted on Joecustoms.com as “Fang Helicopter Prototype.” It's an awesome little vehicle made of a Skyhawk front end with a FANG II propeller assembly. I call it a Cobra Wyvern in my Joeverse. But it needed a pilot, obviously, so I made what is essentially an updated version of the HISS Driver, since they are not only armour but also qualified as FANG pilots according to their file cards. This will allow me to use him with a custom HISS I'm working on as well. The colour scheme is based on the Rip-It version of the HISS Driver, and I used some non-Joe parts on the bottom half. I've been looking for a figure to use some Captain Power legs on, and I think this one worked out quite well with them.

Head – HISS Driver (custom-cast)
Arms, torso – Techno-Viper
Waist – Condor Strike (Power Commandos line)
Legs – Hawk Masterson (Captain Power line, modified)

Pistol – Dr. Mindbender v3

Attachments:
Strike Viper 4.JPG
Strike Viper 4.JPG [ 194.89 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
Strike Viper 3.JPG
Strike Viper 3.JPG [ 195 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
Strike Viper 1.JPG
Strike Viper 1.JPG [ 137.04 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]

Post subject: Cobra Gendarme
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 pm 

Cobra Gendarme
Security Trooper

This is a custom I've wanted to do since I got into the hobby. The cover of GI Joe #10 has always struck me as particularly awesome, due in part to the appearance of one of the Cobras lying in wait to ambush Scarlett in Springfield. The figure on the right appears to be a Cobra Officer wearing the uniform we're all used to. But the figure on the left has a different appearance; he seems more formal, perhaps wearing a presentation uniform rather than a field one. In designing the custom figure based on this cover, I decided that he was a Cobra Gendarme, who are soldiers tasked with guarding Cobra Commander's base of operations rather than going into the field. That explains the more formal appearance compared to regular soldiers and officers. They also act as the Military Police of the Cobra forces. Lots of modifications were required for this custom, including shaving down a Cobra Officer torso to its most basic elements by removing the pouches, and then adding buttons down one side. I drilled small holes where the buttons were to go, and filled each one with a bit of epoxy putty, leaving a bit sticking out which got sanded down when it was dry.

Head – Cobra Officer v3 (modified to remove rank insignia)
Arms – WORMS (modified to trim down bulk)
Torso – Cobra Officer v3 (modified to remove pouches)
Waist – Col. Sourage (modified to add holster from Mego CHiPs figure)
Legs – Col. Courage (modified to remove pistol on right thigh)

Rifle – Cobra Officer (reproduction)

Attachments:
Cobra Gendarme 4.jpg
Cobra Gendarme 4.jpg [ 98.83 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
Cobra Gendarme 3.JPG
Cobra Gendarme 3.JPG [ 150.48 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
Cobra Gendarme 1.JPG
Cobra Gendarme 1.JPG [ 151.09 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]

Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2018 customs - updated July 20 - pg 18
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:56 pm 

the hiss is great! the comic appearance gendarme steals the show!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
the hiss is great! the comic appearance gendarme steals the show!

Thanks as always, I'm quite happy with how he turned out.

Post subject: Prototype Cobra Customs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 pm 

I just posted custom prototype versions of Cobra Commander, Officer and Soldier in their own thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46745

Post subject: Cobra Vampire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 pm 

Vampire
Cobra Light Fighter

I have to give (indirect) credit to Blood Brigade for this custom. Without the mind-blowing Blood Brigade custom vehicles I've seen over the past several years, I would never have attempted a custom this ambitious. All previous vehicle customs I've done have mostly involved new paint jobs with some minor modifications. But the work was much more extensive for this one, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

The Cobra Vampire is loosely inspired by Serpentor's plane shown in GI Joe and the Transformers issues 3 and 4. The bat wings on this plane led me to seek out a Batplane model in a sufficient scale to use for a Joe vehicle, and I was able to find a Polar Lights model kit from 2002 online. That gave me the nice bat wings, but I still had to figure out exactly how to use them. I had a old beat-up Storm Eagle that had several things wrong with it, so I started chopping off bits of it and figuring out how and where to add the wings to make it work. And this is what I came up with. I painted the water-gun handle black so it can function as a conformal fuel tank, and painted the plane itself a nice muted blue colour so that it wouldn't look too much like the Batplane.

The wings and fins are all friction-fit, which means I can remove them for storage and transport. The hardpoints were screwed into the fuselage instead of glued. I've watched many Adam Savage maker videos on Youtube and he's a big proponent of using mechanical connections instead of glue whenever possible. It certainly makes the result feel much sturdier in the end. I used lots of stickers because that's one thing I always loved about early ARAH vehicles, the amount of stickers they used to add detail.

The pilot is the Terror Viper. The only way to get a figure to fit sitting upright, even after taking out all the material in the cockpit, is to sit him all the way in the back, which makes the open space ahead of the pilot under the canopy seem a bit off. A pilot would have a limited field of vision from that vantage point. So I worked up the backstory to account for this. The Vampire is the most maneuverable fighter jet in existence, not just because of its many control surfaces and advanced avionics, but because the pilot shares the cockpit with an AI unit called HOMUNCULUS (Hands-Off Monitoring User-Neutral Control Uptake Liaison-Ultra System). HOMONCULUS has a full range of vision so the pilot doesn't need to concern himself with that, and the two work together to pilot the aircraft. The AI unit sits at the front of the cockpit, and is made of a 1/18-scale water cooler with a bit of chrome paint.

Fuselage, canopy, landing gear – Storm Eagle (modified to remove wings and tailfins, move hardpoints from wings to fuselage, and carve out cockpit)
Wings, canards, tailfins – Polar Lights Batplane model kit
Missiles – Devilfish (vehicle accessory pack version)

Post subject: Terror Viper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 pm 

Terror Viper
Cobra Fighter Pilot

The Terror Viper is a custom designed to be the pilot of the Cobra Vampire jet fighter. It's a pretty straightforward custom, with the head selected to be a bit creepy-looking given the them of the vehicle. The bright red colours are intended to evoke blood, of course, with the black referring to Dracula. Either that, or I was just piecing bits together from my fodder and just liked the way they looked and decided minimizing the amount of painting would be just fine.

Head – Sculpt by Krexx Radek
Arms – Astro-Viper
Torso – Airtight
Waist, legs – Shadow Viper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:49 am 

Two more great batches. My favorites are the armored HISS and the Cobra Gendarme. It's great how one part changed on the classic HISS just refreshes the look completely. The Cobra Gendarme is a great idea and better execution. I love the concept of Cobra Officers getting dress/formal uniforms.

OB

Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2018 customs - Cobra Vampire jet on pg 18
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:15 am 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Man, that plane is great! Those Bat wings really disguise the Storm Eagle!

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

Post subject: Jinx (Retaliation)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 pm 

Jinx
Infiltration

For the Retaliation movie line, Hasbro released a version of Jinx (as “Kim Arashikage”) in 2013, dressed in her yellow movie outfit. More versions of the few female Joe characters is always a good thing, so I wanted to reproduce this figure in the more correct, ARAH format. This would involve using yellow paint, of course, which in turn involves using an undercoat, so there was a lot of painting involved to achieve the desired colour. It turned out quite well, and I was able to reproduce the appearance and markings on her outfit with a pretty high degree of fidelity.

Head, torso, upper legs – Jinx (head is modified)
Arms – Airtight
Waist – M Bison (Street Fighter)
Lower legs – Bushido (modified)

Sword, scabbard – Agent Jinx v2
Hook sword - Storm Shadow v18

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])