Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2018 customs - Cobra Commander on pg 10 (Mar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:55 pm 

DanOfTheDead wrote:
What's that logo you're using on the vehicles from?

That's the Devilfish logo. Rather than try to come up with individual names for the vehicles, I decided to go the Thunderbirds route and call them Devilfish 1, Devilfish 2, Devilfish 3, etc. That also allowed me to use the same logo for each of them.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Kwinn_Lives 2018 customs - Sea Devils group shots on pg
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:22 pm 

man the execution and scope of the devilfish is amazing! if any toy industry types are watching THIS is how it's done!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:05 pm 

I really loved this sub team when you were revealing them, but the group shot really cranks it up several notches. Now, I'm imagining a repainted Tactical Battle Platform as their base of operations.

OB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:38 pm 

OreoBuilder wrote:
I really loved this sub team when you were revealing them, but the group shot really cranks it up several notches. Now, I'm imagining a repainted Tactical Battle Platform as their base of operations.

Oh god. I was planning on doing a follow-up series of a few more figures later this year. And now that you mention this, I have a TTBP in storage. And I won't not be able to think about customizing it for the Sea Devils thanks to this. Just when I thought this group shot meant I was closer to being done with the subteam, one comment adds a whole bunch more work!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:15 pm 

Kwinn_Lives wrote:
OreoBuilder wrote:

Oh god. I was planning on doing a follow-up series of a few more figures later this year. And now that you mention this, I have a TTBP in storage. And I won't not be able to think about customizing it for the Sea Devils thanks to this. Just when I thought this group shot meant I was closer to being done with the subteam, one comment adds a whole bunch more work!

Change the red to your dark blue, the white to light gray, some fresh stickers and you're there :-D

OB

Attachments:
ttbp_open_iso.jpg
ttbp_open_iso.jpg [ 170.38 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:09 pm 

OreoBuilder wrote:
Kwinn_Lives wrote:
OreoBuilder wrote:

Change the red to your dark blue, the white to light gray, some fresh stickers and you're there :-D

OB

Oooooooooo. Seconded.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:38 am 

OreoBuilder wrote:

You're obviously right. It's going to have to wait a while, but this project is definitely on my to-do list now.

Post subject: Annihilator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:29 pm 

Annihilator
Iron Grenadier Airborne Assault

Destro and his Iron Grenadiers sport a very strong colour palette: red, black and gold. This allows for some very striking uniforms for his troops. So when it comes to the Annihilators, with their orange and purple getups, we can clearly do better. This custom is a repaint of the original figure, replacing the purple with black and the orange with red, plus a few little extra details especially on the helmet. I gave him General Hawk's jetpack, because the original's helicopter pack is, frankly, pretty silly.

All parts – Annihilator

Gun – Annihilator
Jetpack – General Hawk

Attachments:
Annihilator access.JPG
Annihilator access.JPG [ 132 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]
Annihilator 2.JPG
Annihilator 2.JPG [ 136.43 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]
Annihilator 1.JPG
Annihilator 1.JPG [ 158.24 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]

Post subject: TARGAT
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm 

TARGAT
Iron Grenadier Global Assault

Destro and his Iron Grenadiers sport a very strong colour palette: red, black and gold. This allows for some very striking uniforms for his troops. And while the TARGAT colours aren't as much of an eyesore as, say, the Annihilators, it stands to be improved by making it more uniform with Destro's other troops. This custom is a repaint of the original figure, eliminating the light blue colour and painting more detail as well. I painted the grenades two different colours – I figured since he has so many grenades, he's probably have a couple of different types.

All parts – TARGAT

Flight pack – TARGAT
Pistol – Iron Grenadier

Attachments:
TARGAT access.JPG
TARGAT access.JPG [ 157.06 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
TARGAT 2.JPG
TARGAT 2.JPG [ 123.46 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
TARGAT 1.JPG
TARGAT 1.JPG [ 126.41 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Post subject: Undertow
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm 

Undertow
Iron Grenadier Frogman

Destro and his Iron Grenadiers sport a very strong colour palette: red, black and gold. This allows for some very striking uniforms for his troops. To make an Undertow more uniform with Destro's other soldiers, its uniform needs more black. This custom is a repaint of the original figure, replacing the purple with (mostly) red, and painting more detail as well, including some on the mask to match the card art better. I made sure to get some goal highlights on the figure because black, red and grey is also the colour scheme of the original Eel figure.

All parts – Undertow

Mask, fins, spear, diver propulsion vehicle – Undertow
Torpedo – Undertow v2

Attachments:
Undertow access.JPG
Undertow access.JPG [ 184.08 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
Undertow 2.JPG
Undertow 2.JPG [ 135.41 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
Undertow 1.JPG
Undertow 1.JPG [ 135.07 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Post subject: Wild Boar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:32 pm 

Wild Boar
Iron Grenadier Driver

Typical of many vehicle drivers from the ARAH line, Wild Boar was light on the paint applications. The figure has a number of details in the sculpt that cry out for painting, such as the pads on his arms, thighs and boots, and some nice detail on his chest as well. So this custom is just a paint upgrade in order to do the original sculpt justice. I repainted the red parts as well, since the original colour is a bit orangey so the deeper crimson improves the look. ve always found the helmet-attached-to-the-forearm-with-a-hose to be a bit silly, so I gave him a more basic helmet from Marauder Inc., plus a weapon for self-defence as well.

All parts – Wild Boar

Helmet, personal defence weapon – Marauder Inc.

Attachments:
Wild Boar access.JPG
Wild Boar access.JPG [ 140.39 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
Wild Boar 2.JPG
Wild Boar 2.JPG [ 101.04 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
Wild Boar 1.JPG
Wild Boar 1.JPG [ 130.17 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Post subject: Voltar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:33 pm 

Voltar
Iron Grenadier Commander

Destro and his Iron Grenadiers sport a very strong colour palette: red, black and gold. This allows for some very striking uniforms for his troops. So when you see Voltar with his black and gold highlights but purple uniform, you wonder what happened. That purple needs to be red to make it more uniform with Destro's other soldiers. This custom is a repaint of the original figure, replacing the purple with (mostly) red, and painting more detail as well. I also painted his bird, to give the turkey vulture more accurate colouring.

All parts – Voltar

Accessories - Voltar

Attachments:
Voltar access.JPG
Voltar access.JPG [ 194.96 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
Voltar 3.JPG
Voltar 3.JPG [ 127.69 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
Voltar 1.JPG
Voltar 1.JPG [ 155.15 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Post subject: Iron Grenadier
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:34 pm 

Iron Grenadier
Destro's Elite Troopers

Destro and his Iron Grenadiers sport a very strong colour palette: red, black and gold. This allows for some very striking uniforms for his troops, and complement Destro's v2 outfit well. I have been repainting Destro's forces (Annihilator, TARGAT, Undertow, Voltar, Wild Boar) in order to achieve a more consistent look for them, and figures I should upgrade the basic Iron Grenadier's paint as well. This is mostly to match the card art better -- the padding on the torso is red in the art but black on the figure, the unpainted belt buckle should be gold, and the unpainted belt pouch should be red according to the illustration.

All parts – Iron Grenadier

All accessories – Iron Grenadier

Attachments:
Iron Grenadier access.JPG
Iron Grenadier access.JPG [ 152.49 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
Iron Grenadier 2.JPG
Iron Grenadier 2.JPG [ 116.47 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
Iron Grenadier 1.JPG
Iron Grenadier 1.JPG [ 122.32 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Post subject: Iron Grenadiers group shot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:36 pm 

Here's a group shot of Destro's forces along with the Destro custom I did last year.

Attachments:
Iron Grenadiers Group Shot.JPG
Iron Grenadiers Group Shot.JPG [ 191.51 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Post subject: PEST
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:37 pm 

PEST
Patrol, Extraction, Squad Transport

Cobra was seriously under-equipped in 1982. While GI Joe had a tank, a jeep, a missile launcher, a heavy laser cannon, a light field cannon, a jet pack and a moteorcycle armed with a gatling gun, the bad guys had no vehicles or field equipment at all. The closest thing they had was a cardboard facade of a missile base, available only from Sears. In the comics they weren't so poorly off; in a panel in issue #1 we see the legions are equipped with jeeps, tanks and armored troop transports, among other things. So this custom represents what could have been released as a Cobra vehicle in 1982, a troop transport called the PEST (Patrol, Extraction, Squad Transport). The driver is not one of my customs – it's a Black Major Cobra trooper. The grey colour marks him as being part of the transport division to me, to match the grey Stinger officer. It's a figure that could have been released in that year, since it's just a recoloured Cobra.

All parts: Galoob A-Team Armored Car (modified)

Stickers: Toyhax.com

Attachments:
PEST comic image.jpg
PEST comic image.jpg [ 200.75 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
PEST 3.JPG
PEST 3.JPG [ 137.68 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]
PEST 1.JPG
PEST 1.JPG [ 149.42 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])